Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
Ranked #27 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have stayed at many hampton inns and suites and this one was the most disappointing. The bed was not as plush and comfortable nor with the same quality of pillows as the ones I usually stay in. The others also I could adjust the chair at the desk, this one I could not. Also the heater was not working until I called maintenance. The room was clean and customer service was okay but usually I love Hampton Inn and suites and probably would not stay at this one again for the rate or service or lack of the amenities I normally got. Also out of about 4 that I have stayed at the breakfast was the most disappointing. They did not have any meats or sandwiches at all, just danishes, oatmeal , pre-made western omelette and waffle :-(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to New Orleans. I want to apologize about the issues you had. I am going to find out if we have any "bad" pillows in circulation because we use the exact same pillows as every other Hampton Inn. I am sorry that you did not like the desk chair and the breakfast. The breakfast menu changes day to day, so you just caught it on a day with the western omelettes. The other items are offered every day, but the hot item changes daily. I hope you come back and visit us again soon, so we can demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Take care
Tricia Vise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed November 8, 2012

After spending a span of two weeks in five other Hilton properties for business, I needed some relaxation and fun in NOLA and I was looking forward to my stay at this property as it was a first for me. I do give this Hampton Inn high marks although, there were some minor issues. The staff at reception seemed a bit pre-occupied when I checked in and almost made me feel like I was a "bother" to them---especially when I asked for a late checkout of 1pm. As a Hilton Honors Diamond Member I've never been told "no, you can't check out that late." I understand it was a busy weekend as AL was playing LSU, but I was a bit surprised to have the young lady at reception tell me she could not guarantee me a late checkout, and that I would need to call in the morning to see if a late checkout was possible, but regardless, it would not be later than 12:30pm. The valet staff was excellent, very friendly and efficient----might be beneficial for the valet staff to cross train with reception staff to teach them how to better handle customer needs! The hotel was clean and I had a beautiful view of NOLA. The bed was comfortable and the outside noise very minimal. I loved that this was an older building, which was in the process of being updated without losing it's old world charm. This hotel is certainly a gem in the Hilton family of hotels in/near the French Quarter area. The rate did seem a bit high for a Hampton Inn---I would expect this rate for a Garden Inn or Homewood Suites, but not a Hampton. As for customer service, there are certainly some opportunities for improvement here. I will say that overall, I was happy with my stay and would stay here again----but only if I could not find a more competitive rate at another Hilton property near the Quarter.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so thrilled that you stayed with us during your recent visit to New Orleans, and I hope you got your much needed R&R. I am so sorry that we were not able to grant you a late checkout. If we have a large amount of people checking out and then another large amount checking in, it makes it very difficult to extend many late checkouts. We are trying to get the rooms clean, so that the arrivals can get in their rooms by check in time. Perhaps once we are finished our renovations, you can come back and stay with us again.

Take care,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here while attending a conference. The location is close enough to Bourbon St. but far enough from the noise that you won't have to deal with the party unless you choose to walk a few blocks. Also, we enjoyed many nice restaurants within walking distance. The hotel is currently undergoing renovation. They did forced us to switch rooms on the second day of our stay, which was not very convenient. The told my husband that he had to move and they would call him back, but he had to call several times to figure out when we had to move. He also had to bring our luggage down himself despite being told that the bell man was coming for over an hour. Despite this, the rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Like a typical Hampton Inn, rooms included a refrigerator and a safe. There was a breakfast each morning, but this one was lacking compared to our usual Hampton experience, as they did not replenish the fruit and some of the food pans were not refilled. We did enjoy the manager's reception on Wednesday at 5:30 where everything was restocked promptly. Overall, we would stay there again given the location and the cleanliness of the hotel, but hopefully after the renovations are completed.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent four nights in the Hampton Inn Downtown New Orleans on Carondelet, from 10/31/12 until 11/4/12. Honestly I would normally be inclined to rate this hotel and my experience there FOUR stars, rather than just three, but there are a few things that irked me and I just can't shake them.

First, we got a decent rate - about $135/night *before* taxes - thanks to AAA. This was an especially good deal as our room actually had two queen beds AND a pull-out couch and therefore could have slept 6 people. (I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to ask for one of the rooms that has a pull out couch [at least, I did]. They didn't charge me extra for it [I'd only booked a room that had two queen beds] which was nice.) Second, location-wise this hotel is pretty great, especially if you want to grab a bus up to the Garden district or go party on Bourbon Street. And if it matters, there's a little convenience store about a block away (called "Brothers") that has the usual convenience store stuff (wine, beer, energy drinks, bottled water, snacks, etc.) as well as some absolutely AMAZING fried chicken! Third, every employee we encountered was helpful and nice.

BUT. I know this hotel is undergoing renovations, yet I couldn't really see much actually being renovated, so I have no idea what was finished and what wasn't. Take our room, for instance - though the beds were comfortable and the bedding appeared new, the couch was completely broken - as was the pull out bed. Thankfully we only had to use it one night when we had two extra friends in our room, but there's no way they didn't know about it being broken and yet nothing was said to us upon check in. Again, the only reason we didn't complain is because we didn't spend much time in the room and didn't have enough people in it throughout the entire stay to really NEED the pull out couch, but a warning would have been nice. On top of that, when we got to our room there were three or four washcloths in the bathroom - but that was the last time we saw washcloths until our last day there, at which point we were given ONE. There were always four towels and four hand towels, so I'm not sure what the deal was with the washcloths. Even when we called for extra towels one morning, they gave us a stack of towels and hand towels but still NO washcloths.

Also, the ice machine on our floor didn't work. A bit of a pain when you have to travel up or down one floor to get ice AND need to use your room key to go anywhere in the hotel. And speaking of having to use your keys to go anywhere in the hotel, when we first checked in our keys worked everywhere. Later, they would work to get in and out of the building when the front door was locked, and also work in the elevator, but not let us in the room. And on the day we checked out, they stopped working ANYWHERE...before 10 AM! (elevator included; two of us that went to breakfast got "stuck" on the 4th floor and had to wait for someone else who needed to go up in the elevator to get back to our room on the 9th floor; thankfully some of our party was still in the room and able to let us in) That last situation was by far the most frustrating, but it also got annoying that we had to ask the front desk for new keys. Eventually we didn't even bother and just made sure we were all together so that we could use the one (of three) that seemed to always work.

As I said, we checked in on 10/31/12. We arrived a few minutes after 2 PM...and our room wasn't ready. Now, I know that check-in isn't until 3, but honestly I've never had an issue with arriving an hour or even two before that and getting a room. The front desk did rush a bit to get it done for us, which was nice, but it would have been nice to not have to wait until 2:30 to get into it.

Now, due to the Hampton Inn's location, I'm guessing you won't get any sort of decent view in any of the rooms. Our room had an entire wall of windows, which was nice (they started about 2 or 3 feet from the floor and were nearly ceiling-height) - but our view was of side/back walls of surrounding buildings. Like literally not even a crack through them where we could see skyline, street, anything. Not that this matters all that much, as I'm not one to care about whatever view a hotel room has, but I know a lot of people DO care about that. The windows did let in a good amount of light which was nice during the day, because to be honest the lighting in our room was awful. One of the outlets shorted while we were there, as well, and for the size of the room they really should have had better/different lighting - the lamps were just really spread out and/or had really weak bulbs in them, because at night the only place in the room that felt "well lit" was the bathroom. Also, this is an issue I've had with basically 4/5 hotels I've stayed in recently - why are there never any fans in the bathrooms?!

The Hampton Inn also really pushes their valet parking. Um, nearly $30/night? No thanks. There are at least two parking garages within 3-4 blocks of the hotel that charge $15-20/night (except during "special events", which I'm guessing includes Mardi Gras and whatnot - at which point you're probably safer just parking at the hotel); we were able to park in the one that's located between Rampart and University and paid just $15/night. However, the couple of times that I mentioned this to an employee (because they kept asking about whether our car was parked in their garage) they gave me, shall we say, strange looks. Or rather, they looked at me as if *I* was strange. Sorry, but not parking in their garage saved me nearly $60, thank you very much.

I used the fitness room once while we were there; the equipment (a reclining bike, a rowing machine, an elliptical, a weight center, and two treadmills) was older but appeared to be in good condition.

Again, generally we had a pleasant stay. The common areas and the room itself were clean, the front desk employees were especially friendly and helpful, and the room was also very spacious, especially compared to most hotels that are located in downtown areas of major cities. And of course the price and location were right. The free breakfast was also really good - much better than the free breakfasts I've experienced at hotels like Best Westerns and Holiday Inns in recent months. Hopefully whatever "renovations" they are still doing will mean some overall improvements, because I think that this would have been a much more pleasant stay were it not for the several minor inconveniences that we kept experiencing.

Room Tip: I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to ask for one of the rooms that has a pull out couch (at...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
First of all I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us when you visited New Orleans. I am so sorry about any inconveniences you experienced while you were with us. I would love the opportunity to speak with you regarding these and hopefully address some of your concerns. I am definitely going to look into some of the issues that are not acceptable, such as the sofa bed being broken and the fact that you only received 3 wash cloths while you were here. On another note, I am very pleased the staff met your expectations.

As mentioned above, I would love to speak with you further; you can call me at your convenience at (504)529-9990.

Take care,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The staff does an excellent job, but the hotel is dated. The hotel is undergoing a renovation that it desperately needs. My hotel room was in need of an update, but was clean.

For the price, the hotel really wasn't that bad, but the building doesn't seem to be up to typical Hampton standards.

The lowest level of the building is shared by the hotel lobby and a shopping center.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to New Orleans. We are very sorry for your experience, but as you can see, we are working to improve our property. Please let us know if you have additional comments or suggestions you would like to share. We are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here while at a conference. The reservation staff was wonderful. Cheryl was very helpful over the phone and Isaac was great at our check in, plus the valet staff was friendly and energetic. From advice on where to park our car to where I should take my morning run, this staff was great. Location can't be beat...if you want to party on Bourbon Street. Just 2 blocks to Canal Street, you are a steps away from the craziness of New Orleans night life. And we did enjoy it and beyond easily getting to the Garden District and the Audubon Zoo/Park to Armstrong Park.

So why the poor review? For the price, I would expect more clean...half the towels were grey and dingy (literally! - one would be clean and new the other would be dirty and old), the air vents were clogged with dust, pillows were musty and smelly, the carpeting was trailed with dark, dirty stains and foot paths, the ice machines served black specs, and the hotel lobby furniture has black matted-in stains. Just dirty everywhere. I felt like I needed to disinfect my entire wardrobe after being in this hotel. Moreover, the TV got minimal reception - yes, they have cable, but you would not know it. What made it worse is that some colleagues of mine stayed in neighboring hotels and I saw their rooms/hotel lobby. They paid the same price and got twice as nice! :-(

All in all, I (and my other 5 co-workers who also attended the conference) will not be returning to this hotel next May when we have another conference. I think we will look up those other hotels with cleaner standards.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, October 29, 2012
First of all, please allow me to thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent trip to New Orleans. I am so pleased that you liked the staff, but very disappointed to hear your opinion of the hotel being filthy. I actually have an excellent housekeeping department, and I am going to sit down with my Executive Housekeeper and go over this review. I understand that there may be some inconveniences to the guests while we renovate, and I do apologize about that. I would love to speak with you further about some of your complaints, so that I may address them properly. Please give me a call at your convenience at (504)-529-9990.
I hope you're having a great start to your week,
Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised By this property. As I checked in the front desk staff was awesome. They called me by name, addressed my questions and generally helped me greatly. Valet parking was a breeze and quite speedy. There is some construction going on in the hotel now, but It's hardly a distraction.

There's a generous breakfast buffet, with many options.
The small issues I found were a printer/business office thatcouldn't download PDFs, And the oddity of requiring a room key in order to operate the elevator.

Don't let this dissuade you, this is a wonderful place, in a great location for a pretty good price.

• Stayed October 2012