“Nice place...but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Birmingham, Alabama
“Nice place...but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The hotel is beautifully furnished and is continually well maintained. The hotel reminds me of some of the more modern European hotels and the front desk clerks were very friendly and extremely helpful.
Check-in was extremely efficient. We arrived several hours before check-in time and the room was not ready. The hotel was glad to hold our luggage in a secure location and valet services, though expensive, are actually very efficient.
When I arrived in my room, I knew it was a great place. THe room, though small was nicely furnished with modern furniture, floor to ceiling wall-to-wall windows and black-out curtains. Our room had a king-sized bed but he room did not feel cramped. There was ample closet space but could use a little more drawer space. The bathroom is smaller than I enjoy, and there is no vanity counter-top, but there is wall shelves for personal items. The marble floors are beautiful and the shower is awesome. The bathroom has no vent- fan, so it does steam up rather well.
Our room had a problem with the AC where the temperature was either too hot or too cold, so I was continually adjusting the thermostat. Being a hydronic system, it is likely the water valve solenoid needed replacing. Not a big deal.
Housekeeping was a little lazy. We had a three night stay and room service was there once, though she claimed to have cleaned the room every day. There were no clean towels, the bed was not made and the shampoo, mouthwash and shower gel (all Bath & Bodyworks products) was not replenished...good thing I brought toiletries from home.
If you are on the lower floors, you will hear the St. Charles street car, as well as some of the street traffic, all day and night. Even though I was on the second floor, this was not a problem for me, because I am used to the sounds of steel wheels on steel tracks: I live in a city within two blocks of train tracks, so the sound was hardly noticed. If you are not used to trains, you will notice this, so request an upper floor or side view room.
I love this hotel and will stay here again. It is conveniently located within a walkable distance from the French Quarter, Warehouse District, Arts District and Business District. The on-site restaurant is great with good food and reasonable prices. Valet is a little expensive, but less than the prices at some other hotels in the city. The valet attendants are super nice and will go out of their way to assist you with luggage and directions. Just park and walk or take the St. Charles streetcar for a memorable view of the city. The streetcar stops right in front of the hotel.
I believe you will enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: if the sound of historic streetcars might bother you, request a room on the upper floors on the side...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JNICKJ6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Skovde, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the end of March. It was three unusually cold days in NO and the first night was kind of cold, but then we asked for an extra blanket. I think it was us not understanding how to work the ac.
The bed was ok, but it was hard to move without waking the other.
The shower handle broke off the first morning, but a guy came and fixed it just five minutes after we called.
The staff is ok. Cleaning was ok.
The toiletries come from bath & bodyworks.
The hotel is located about a 10 min walk from the French Quarters, so not to noisy.
We could stay here again if the price is right.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The_Nohlbergs
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Great price and close to the street car. Our guest service guy is extremely nice. Twice he has given me a map and drew out directions.
Rooms are small but nice and mostly clean.

Bad things: you can hear the street car run all night unless you're sleeping heavy.
No down pillows : (
NO PARKING. Valet is only 28$ for 24 hours. The first night I paid 38$ to park in the Whitney garage on Poydras. Chose Valet!

• Stayed March 2013
Chicago area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

A few things: my message waiting light was on for four days and after three calls on different days and being told they didn't know what to do, I finally figured out that I should unplug it. For some reason, the cleaning crew would unscrew my toilet seat but not resecure it properly. My desk chair would not fit between the bed and the desk. The staff for the most part was rude and uncaring. It was bad enough that it was funny, though it was not my money being wasted on the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LeadFree
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was shocked at how rude the check-in staff was at the Blake Hotel. When I walked up to the check-in desk, the staff attendant saw me, turned her back, and continued to talk on the phone. I waited for a few minutes while she ignored me, and then her co-worker approached the desk. Instead of greeting me, he ignored me, and looked annoyed that I was standing there. Finally, I greeted him, and explained that I wanted to check-in. From there, the level of service only got worse. Instead of warmly offering to help me with my bags because I was too early for the 3pm check-in, the staff members looked annoyed that they had to deal with my bags, and very slowly helped me handle them. I were to describe the staff, it would be aloof, rude, and slow.

Also, a 3pm check-in policy is ridiculously late, and they refuse to budge on it for even a few minutes.

Horrible, horrible hotel. Do not waste your money on this establishment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kelsey1212Seattle
Minot, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 10:30 pm or so, only to be told there was a problem with out room. Jennifer was extremely courteous and professional, and the hotel put us up at another hotel for the night, paying for that room and the cab fare to get there. We were able to check in with no problem the next day. The attached cafe has very good food,the hotel is right on the St. Charles trolley line, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. It's the customer service, however, that really made the place a good place to stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel is nice. Its only a few blocks away from all the action. It looks like its been recently remodelled and the rooms are small in new orleans fashion but they are very clean and comfortable. Water pressue is strong but good. They let us check in at 10 in the morning which was so great after a 5 AM flight! Oh and the blackout curtains are wonderful after a night out on Burbon street!!!! I was overall very pleased with the hotel for the money we spent. The only negative I have is that they have no vaniety in the bathroom so no where to put makeup,curling iron,toothbrush etc.

Room Tip: Do the middle floors you might be hearing ground traffic from below if you are low to the ground and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4.5 of 5 stars 889 reviews
Comfort Inn Marrero
#1 of 3 in Marrero
4.0 of 5 stars 99 reviews

Been to The Blake Hotel New Orleans, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!