“Horrible customer service--rudest staff I have ever encountered”

Blake Hotel New Orleans, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #78 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Seattle, WA
“Horrible customer service--rudest staff I have ever encountered”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was shocked at how rude the check-in staff was at the Blake Hotel. When I walked up to the check-in desk, the staff attendant saw me, turned her back, and continued to talk on the phone. I waited for a few minutes while she ignored me, and then her co-worker approached the desk. Instead of greeting me, he ignored me, and looked annoyed that I was standing there. Finally, I greeted him, and explained that I wanted to check-in. From there, the level of service only got worse. Instead of warmly offering to help me with my bags because I was too early for the 3pm check-in, the staff members looked annoyed that they had to deal with my bags, and very slowly helped me handle them. I were to describe the staff, it would be aloof, rude, and slow.

Also, a 3pm check-in policy is ridiculously late, and they refuse to budge on it for even a few minutes.

Horrible, horrible hotel. Do not waste your money on this establishment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kelsey1212Seattle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Turkish first
Minot, North Dakota
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 10:30 pm or so, only to be told there was a problem with out room. Jennifer was extremely courteous and professional, and the hotel put us up at another hotel for the night, paying for that room and the cab fare to get there. We were able to check in with no problem the next day. The attached cafe has very good food,the hotel is right on the St. Charles trolley line, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. It's the customer service, however, that really made the place a good place to stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel is nice. Its only a few blocks away from all the action. It looks like its been recently remodelled and the rooms are small in new orleans fashion but they are very clean and comfortable. Water pressue is strong but good. They let us check in at 10 in the morning which was so great after a 5 AM flight! Oh and the blackout curtains are wonderful after a night out on Burbon street!!!! I was overall very pleased with the hotel for the money we spent. The only negative I have is that they have no vaniety in the bathroom so no where to put makeup,curling iron,toothbrush etc.

Room Tip: Do the middle floors you might be hearing ground traffic from below if you are low to the ground and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SteelCity13
Orange County, CA
Reviewed March 12, 2013

A/C is really loud; I just turned it off and put on all the blankets; fortunately it didn't get too cold. It's on St. Charles Street so the streetcars make noise. If you are a light sleeper get a room away from the street or a high floor as a last resort. Bed was comfortable. Location is neutral, a few blocks from the French Quarter so you don't hear revelers, just a tad dark at night so get home quickly. It's a bit farther to the Convention Center but somewhat in between the two so if you are attending a convention it's decent. For breakfast, the boutique restaurant in the lobby is awesome and a tad pricey, but if you are going to the Convention Center and want anything more than coffee this is your spot. Hotel is small, and it's in the Warehouse District bordering the CBD. Only one block from Poydras St. and some major Courts buildings so if you have business at either the location is ideal. Fitness center is small, but they have dumbbells to 50 lbs. This is the route of several Mardi Gras parades so if you want an awesome view of the parade (with the noise), rock on. I have no idea about parking but nobody rents a car in downtown New Orleans anyway.

Room Tip: Avoid the street side unless you want to see and hear the Mardi Gras parades or the streetcars
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lathrop, Missouri
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Looks nice from the outside, inside another story . Halls were dirty, elevators just kind of randomly stopped. Room was adequate but not really nice. Beds swayed from side to side........but for around a $100 I got a room with two queens and it was only a night so it served its purpose.

• Stayed March 2013
Madison, Mississippi
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Heater blew cold air when we tried to warm up room but staff remedied the problem. The special we got we great. Staff was most friendly and helpful. It has valet parking or self park but not any hotel parking. We found good street parking

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 7, 2013

After reassuring the front desk I wasn't Irish I found my room to be nichè to say the least . It was o e of the non- renovated rooms which would explain the dampness and peeling back of wall paper. I didn't see it nessacery to fold the bed back up each night lol
Until I realised all other rooms were renovated and I had just drawn a short straw I assu Ed the room decor was in keeping with the spooky Cajun theme .
Luckily my human rights representative and good friend put things right
Gym adjacent building 1 entry per day per night stay , we'll equipped
1 km from French quarter

Room Tip: Switch on lights before unpacking
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends