“WARNING WILL CHARGE FOR SMOKING FEE, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT SMOKE”

Blake Hotel New Orleans, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #77 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Hello, my name is Sandra Wilson and I stayed at the Blake Hotel New Orleans on Jan 15th 2013. I brought my daughter in for the Justin Bieber concert. From the time I pulled up and checked in with Jennifer Sayre everything was wonderful! My daughters foot was broke so she was in a wheel chair and we were accommodated very well. We checked in dropped our luggage off in the room and hit the streets for some sight seeing before the concert. We came back late that night went straight to sleep, woke up the next morning and checked out again with Jennifer. She was very nice asked us about the concert etc. I was very impressed! We had to wait longer than normal for valet so Jennifer was very apologetic and gave us a drink, very appreciated. My car pulls up the valet was very nice and helped put everything in the car with my daughter, so needless to say I was very happy with a perfect trip! Well here comes the "but" when I got home that night, I checked my account and seen that I was being charged a 250.00 charge. I called the hotel and was told that it was because there was proof that I had smoked in the room. Well I was shocked seeing I don't even smoke and the man on the phone told me I needed to dispute with my cc company so I hung up in shock. I called right back and Jennifer, the assistant manager answered, I explained to her and she told me she would get with house keeping and call me back. In the meantime I went to my bank, my banker called Jennifer back and we were then told that housekeeping said room smelt of smoke and that they couldn't rent the room and that it still smelled like smoke at that time and that I had initialed and agreed that I would be charged 250.00 for smoking, so we needed to dispute the charges. Yes, I did initial because I do not smoke. My banker said well we are filling the papers out now and Jennifer said, "that is perfectly fine if she wants to do that, this happens all the time. The problem I have with that is when I checked in I smelled the smoke also but never thought anything of it because there was construction going on, the guys were smoking outside the hotel, smoke lingers and there were burn marks on the sink in the bathroom so I just figured, no big deal they are making changes so I shook the smell off, sprayed my Lysol and never thought anything else about it. I carry Lysol and spray all the time in hotels just fore my comfort. I do not feel like I should have to pay this charge because I DO NOT smoke and how do I know housekeeping or someone else didn't smoke in it when I left, I don't like accusing people of something unless I have firm proof and seen it with my eyes, but on the other hand I am being accused of something I did not do! I filled out the papers to dispute this at the bank and I also contacted Roberta at the complaint department and told her about this. I need to be reimbursed this fee because again I DO NOT smoke. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sandra Lee Wilson
I sent this email to the GM and have left several messages and still have not gotten ANY responses!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank Sandra W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,154)

Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Blake was a great spot for us, we were attending a New Orleans Saints game and the Superdome was an easy walk from here as well as getting to the French Quarter. There are plenty of food options nearby. The rooms were standard, nothing amazing, but they felt clean it was quiet.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The manager at The Blake went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. The location was great. We were able to walk most places and the staff had cabs waiting when we wanted to go anywhere farther away. The rooms were comfortable and clean. We had a wonderful weekend in New Orleans and would stay at The Blake again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JPLaSota
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The staff at the front desk and valet were very nice and helpful. When we arrived to our room (403) it was not as cool as we would have liked. It was unseasonably warm outside. We made a call to the front desk and maintenance was there within 5 minutes and the air was fine after that. The rooms are small but clean and served the purpose for our one night stay. The walk is about 15 minutes to the arena. We stopped at Walk-Ons sports bar to watch the SEC championship. Walk-ons was about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. But overall the hotel is nice and clean and I always like when hotel rooms have a fridge and microwave.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hubcitygirl
Manny S, Manager at Blake Hotel New Orleans, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I hope you enjoyed the championship game at Walk-ons! The weather was quite warm for December, but is cold again. I am sorry to hear about the A/C but glad we were able fix the issue. We look forward to seeing you at the Blake Hotel on your future travels.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We visited New Orleans for a girls' weekend and were more than pleased with our choice of hotel. The customer service at The Blake is outstanding! We requested certain drinks in our room prior to arrival and they were there waiting for us. All we had to do was reimburse the front desk for our purchases. The staff was always willing to give recommendations and even a ride to the restaurant (as the manager was heading that way anyway)!
The rooms were clean, housekeeping was great and the beds were so comfortable! The French Quarter is just a short walk away. Stay here! You'll love it!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank mcpheae
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The lobby is clean and bright, the furnishings are modern with a small business center. Our room was on the third floor and the elevators were easily accessed and moved very quickly. The room itself was fairly small, the bed was very comfortable and the pillows were numerous. The air conditioner was quite noisy but not enough to keep you awake. The location to the french quarter is what made this a great stay. The staff was very courteous and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The hotel is located in the warehouse district. Just a few blocks from the street car/city bus and shopping/French Quarter. The area was clean and quiet. The lobby was contemporary and bright. It has couch seating and a business center with free wireless high speed internet hook up. There is also a Restaurant in the lobby that I didn't try, however the food always smelled great.

The staff is awesome! Very friendly and helpful. We took advantage of the valet. They were very professional and helped with all of our luggage. The staff was able to answer all our questions about recommendations and prices.

The room was just okay, tight space, but it was clean and has been updated. The room was quiet, very little street noise. The queen size bed was comfortable. However, are room didn't have toilet paper, tissue, or a hair dryer in it when we arrived.

Overall, it is a nice hotel and I would definitely consider staying there again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheFoxGirl
Manny S, General Manager at Blake Hotel New Orleans, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. It helps us to better ourselves as we continue to grow. I am pleased to hear your comments regarding our staff; however the lack of amenities in your room is completely unacceptable. I have discussed the issue with our housekeeping staff in order to ensure that guest do not encounter this problem in the future. We hope to see you again soon!