“Go in the evening and take cash”
Review of Cafe Du Monde

Cafe Du Monde
Ranked #2 of 58 Coffee & Tea in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, French, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cypress, Texas
“Go in the evening and take cash”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I stopped in around 5PM after an afternoon cocktail for a little snack to tide us over until dinner. We got right in with no wait. The beignets were good and so was the cafe au lait. Take cash as they don't accept other payment. And don't wear dark clothing ;)

• Visited August 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kaufman, Texas
“When in New Orleans.... It's a Tradition”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were traveling to Florida with our youngest daughter, 2 of our nieces and our great nephew and went out of our way to stop at Cafe Du Monde. The beignets and cafe au lait were excellent as always. We have made it a tradition to stop in whenever we are in the area. Its definitely worth the trip.

• Visited August 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“History and powdered sugar”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

You MUST go and have a little "donut" history. This place is old and famous but the food is still yummy and rememberable.

• Visited February 2013
Cleveland, OH
“A Landmark Has Become A Tourist Trap”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Cafe Du Monde was once upon a time a destination in the Big Easy. In fact, back in 2009 when I first visited there were many things that made me fall in love with the coffee stand. The prices were reasonable: 2 coffees, 3 beignets, and a souvenir coffee mug for about $12.00. The outside dining area was spacious and clean. The waitstaff was pleasant, friendly, and eager to serve.
Fast forward to 2013: our first forage to the cafe was for some late night beignets to go. We approached the takeout window where the young lady working snapped at me for my order. Although taken back by her attitude we ordered a cafe au lait and an order of the delicious fried treats. As I handed her the $8.00 (ummm what!) she handed me a premade sack of beignets, already cold, and evidently pre-packaged. When I took a sip of the coffee I realized it should have been called Lait au cafe. There was so much milk that you couldn't even taste the delicious chicory in the coffee. We ate two of the doughnuts and took two sips of the coffee and threw the rest away.
On the last day of our trip we decided to give them one more chance. We found a table inside since all of the tables outside were dirty and pushed one on top of the other. The inside eating area was filthy. Our server was really nice and part of me feels terrible that he is working in such a place because he really could be serving in some of the higher end establishments. We ordered beignets and a frozen coffee, they were much better than the to go order but still pricey (over $4.00 for a coffee approx the size of a Starbucks grande). While eating, several employees sat down near us and began counting, and subsequently complaining, about their tips.
Needless to say, future visits to the Crescent City will not include Cafe du Monde,which is really too bad. But why keep handing money over to somewhere that doesn't care about my business, 150 years old or not? Please do not frequent this place until they restore it to it's previous glory. Check out my review on
Cafe Beignet to enjoy your chicory experience.

Visited August 2013
nj
“A must do, I guess”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

When in Nola you have to go here right? Well it was reasonable but I don't know what all the fuss is about. During the day there are long lines. Go at night. They are open 24 hours. The beignet are really like falafel or Italian zeppelle. Fried dough with powdered sugar. 2 coffees and a an order of beignet (enough for two) for 10 bucks with tip. Just didn't think it was all the rage but its one of those things you want to,say you did.

Visited August 2013