“On every foodies' Bucket List”
Review of Cafe Du Monde

Cafe Du Monde
Ranked #7 of 26 Bakeries in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, French, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed October 9, 2012

A must-do New Orleans experience. The powdered-sugar encrusted beignets go great with the cafe au lait. Don't wear dark clothing, as the sugar gets all over everything! Customer service is efficient, but not especially friendly... but considering the crowds of people descending upon this place every day, the staff does an admirable job. Oftentimes, there are street musicians playing at the entrance. I heard bad acapella Christmas carols one day, and the next day, Beatles songs being played in a flamenco style by a superb young guitarist... so you never know what to expect. (Kind of like New Orleans itself). I began every day with a visit to Cafe Du Monde, and that is a routine I highly recommend!

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Great place for breakfast or brunch service is quick and easy no fussy menus to hassle with. Long lines but totally worth the wait it was yummy!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We came for the Beignets and Cafe au late. Maybe because I am an Aussie where great coffee is the norm, I found the coffee here disappointing and the beignets tasteless and smothered in sugar. It is popular here but I suspect that is built on reputation rather than actual experience. Service was poor and we were disappointed at the experince. There is better service, coffee and beignets elswhere, but I suspect many will come just because it is the Cafe Du Monde.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

As a native New Orleanian, I need to insist that a visit to New Orleans is not complete without stopping by Cafe du Monde! On a recent visit, we had beignets covered by a mountain of powdered sugar, cafe au lait, and iced cafe au lait - not traditional, I know, but the temperature was in the 90's. The beignets were delicious! Hot, puffy, just perfect! (And no(!), the beignets do not taste like funnel cake as recently described on one of the food networks.) The definitive cafe au lait of New Orleans. Cafe du Monde is also the best people watching spot in New Orleans. Go and linger over the best coffee and doughnuts around. You may even be treated to some traditional New Orleans jazz by nearby street musicians! It doesn't get any better than that!

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Chicory Coffee, Cafe au Lait, and Beignets. That's all you need to know. Indoor and covered outdoor seating right on the edge of Jackson Square. They've got a to go window outside if you don't want to wait to get a table. That's what we did, so I can't comment on the service, but it seemed to always be packed, so I wouldn't expect much. We also tried Cafe Beignet, and all thought the beignets were better at Cafe du Monde. That said, the ambiance is less chaotic at Cafe Beignet.

Been to Cafe Du Monde? Share your experiences!