“Great food, wine, and atmosphere!”

Orleans Grapevine Wine Bar and Bistro
Ranked #20 of 2,009 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: This beautiful two-story building was erected in 1809 by Antoine Angué where he opened the Vieux Carré’s first Creole Bistro called, The Restaurant d’Orleans. Today, the property is owned by the noted local business team of Pam Fortner and Earl Bernhardt. Lovingly renovated with its prestigious past in mind, The Orleans Grapevine continues the tradition by offering discriminating diners the best in fine dining and an extensive wine list in a beautiful, intimate yet relaxed atmosphere. We feature many unique and seasonal special dishes & specials.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Perfect location on a quiet side street off Bourbon. Right across from our hotel which was great! No reservations but we only waited 15 minutes at the street tables where we were served wine. Sit in the courtyard, it's beautiful and cool in the evening. Food was fantastic and our service was prompt and friendly (Holly). Had the baked Brie app with roasted garlic, fantastic. Truffled mash was heavenly too!

2  Thank The_dolan79
Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a wonderful small meal here. She had the shrimp remoulade and I had the BBQ shrimp. Our waitress, Leslie, recommended a wonderful Pinot blanc that paired well not only with our shrimp, but also with dessert!

The dessert was the highlight of the evening: goat cheese cheesecake with a lemon gastrique and Oreo crust! It really added a new dimension to the wine. Since it's a Monday, it's super slow. I attribute that to our experience, and am glad that I didn't go on a weekend.

2  Thank axelfsu
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was my second time in New Orleans and I was told to try the Orleans Grapevine Wine Bar and Bistro. I have to say, this place was awesome! We had Bennett as our sever and he was great. He knew everything about the menu and gave us great recommendations! To start off, we were outside on the courtyard. Very nice, romantic style. It started to rain (pour down actually) and we moved inside. Great environment as well. I had the chicken entree and my boyfriend had the stuffed flounder. The whole experience was outstanding. I would rank this restaurant to a very close #1. We ate at Commanders Palace last night and this place was better! Service was great and the atmosphere is perfect. MUST try!

1  Thank Kaseyboykin
Reviewed July 11, 2013

For four years, we made a point to go to the Grapevine for an afternoon bottle of wine and an appetizer. We kept talking about eating dinner there, but didn't until this last trip, when I talked our party of 8 into having dinner at Grapevine. And then came "a series of unfortunate events".

First problem was that our waitress decided to completely ignore one of our party sitting in the far corner--me. She set up seven place settings, brought seven wine glasses, and despite repeated requests, didn't bring me utensils or a plate until the appetizers had already been consumed. Even though I'd ordered the wine, she didn't bring me a wine glass until one of our party made a rather firm request. It was obvious that the restaurant was badly understaffed, but still and all, there was no excuse for this poor service. Unfortunately, it got worse.

I had ordered a steak (mistake!) and asked that it be cooked Pittsburgh Rare, rare inside but with a bit of char outside. While we were waiting (an unreasonably long time) for our food, one of the diners at a nearby table commented that they were burning something in the kitchen. Turns out it was my steak.

I ate a couple of bites, but it was too burned. I couldn't get the server's attention to return it, so I ate the sides and waited until the end of the meal when she came to clear plates and ask about dessert. I then pointed out that the steak was burned and I was unable to eat it. She apologized and took it away. We had desserts and after-dinner drinks and when the very large bill came, the steak was on it. This was pointed out to the waitress, who said she would have to speak with the manager.

Instead of manager, we got an agitated chef. He argued with me about the way the steak had been cooked, claimed that I'd eaten the steak, and when it was pointed out that 7 witnesses saw me send it back, he claimed that no steak had been returned to the kitchen. He essentially said that either I was lying or his staff was lying.

I can see why his staff would lie to this meglomaniac. I wouldn't expect an interaction like this with a truck stop cook, much less with a chef in a restaurant where we dropped a hundred bucks a head. Oh, they did end up giving us a couple of free desserts--which worked out to less than half the cost of my entree.

Every restaurant can have a bad night, but there was no excuse for the chef's behavior. Patrick's Bar Vin gets our business now.

3  Thank NatchitochesTraveler
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Bourbon Orleans, just across the street and have to say that this little gem is a great spot for a meal. All the food was delicious and the service was fantastic. They have a nice courtyard as well as a great bar inside. Another reviewer is right; they do amazing things with brie!

2  Thank TangentialT