“So much potential, BUT......”

Orleans Grapevine Wine Bar and Bistro
Ranked #14 of 1,980 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: This beautiful two-story building was erected in 1809 by Antoine Angué where he opened the Vieux Carré’s first Creole Bistro called, The Restaurant d’Orleans. Today, the property is owned by the noted local business team of Pam Fortner and Earl Bernhardt. Lovingly renovated with its prestigious past in mind, The Orleans Grapevine continues the tradition by offering discriminating diners the best in fine dining and an extensive wine list in a beautiful, intimate yet relaxed atmosphere. We feature many unique and seasonal special dishes & specials.
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

OK. First off, place is really cool. Bar is awesome. Courtyard is beautiful. We arrived ( party of four ) for drinks and dinner, and were told there was a 10 minute wait to be seated in the courtyard. Totally fine. After seeing 2 parties seated who arrived after us ( 40 minutes later ) we inquired about our table. 7 were indeed forgotten about, and then told our table was ready. However, it was for 2, not 4, which began another wait. Finally seated ( without an apology), we order. When our order arrives, I find a hair in the Bris cheese ( No , really. Can't make this up.) In closing, drinks were fine (bartender Sunshine was great!) but for the love of God and all that is holy DO NOT EAT HERE.

1  Thank Mike O
OrleansGrapevine, Owner at Orleans Grapevine Wine Bar and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about our restaurant, we truly appreciate your feedback as well as the other couple that was with you in a later review. We'd like to just repeat what we stated to them as well.

Our courtyard is quite a popular place and with the approachment of the beautiful spring weather there is often a wait to be seated there as we only have seating for 35 possible guests at a time. We have 2 areas where people who wish to wait for courtyard seating may choose to wait, at our bar and out at our tables on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

We seat people in the order they request to be seated in the courtyard and often times when it seems like parties may have been seated ahead of you (especially if you are seated at the bar waiting), they were really waiting out at the tables on our sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

On the evening in question, the two couples that appeared to be seated "before", were doing just that, they had their request in for courtyard seating and chose to wait out at tables in front of the restaurant.

We apologize for any confusion in this matter, but again, thank you for your review of the Orleans Grapevine.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have been to New Orleans 4 times and everytime I come I make it a point to eat at the Grapevine at least once. I usually have the BBQ shrimp (YUM) but this time I tried the scallops. They will live in my memory forever. Cooked to perfection and since I don't eat bacon, the chef left it off. Salads are fresh and delightful. The deserts are...well, I'm drooling on my keyboard. I had the chocolate mousse (topped with Grand Marier whipped cream) and the goat milk cheesecake. The staff is as fantastic as the food and went out of their way to make sure everything was to our liking. You can eat inside - cozy, out front - great for people watching, or in their courtyard - lovely and peaceful. The Grapevine is across the street from the Bourbon Orleans Hotel, which is a great place to stay.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Orleans Grapevine is my all-time favorite of wine bars/bistros and the best kept secret in New Orleans! I recently spent several nights in New Orleans and after work, Grapevine became my home away from home while there. They feature small plates, full entrees, decadent desserts, and an outstanding wine list. My favorite dishes included the melt-in-your mouth scallops which were the best I’ve had anywhere and the BBQ shrimp which can only be described as heaven in a bowl. And the decadent desserts – the bread pudding and crème brulee were to die for! Last but not least, the staff and service were extraordinary and servers went beyond the call of duty in making me feel welcome and making recommendations. Ron served me several times and he was very professional, friendly, and knowledgeable about the dishes and wine. As a solo traveler, I felt very pampered at the Grapevine and the next time I visit New Orleans, this cozy haven is at the top of my ‘must do’ list!

1  Thank GailCope
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Crabcakes are to die for. Filet was cooked perfectly. Service was impeccable. Our waiter made this a great experience. Will definitely be back.

1  Thank SusanBfoodie
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stopped in twice and Orleans Grapevine Wine Bar and Bistro. Even though it was chilly, we sat outside in the courtyard. With heaters under each umbrella, and a lovely bottle of wine, temperature was no longer an issue. We ate mussels in saffron sauce..WOW! They were fantastic. We finished this meal with the bread pudding that tasted like Christmas morning. The next day we went back for oysters and steak; we were not disappointed. Day two we opted for slightly dirty martinis and again, they did not disappoint. This bar was right across from our hotel, what a gem in the quarter!

1  Thank julybeachbride