“A llittle Piece of Heaven”

Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
New York
“A llittle Piece of Heaven”
Reviewed February 22, 2007

Creole Gardens is by far the warmest, most magical experience that I have ever had in any hotel or bed and breakfast!!! Creole Gardens is cozy, beautiful and carries an air air of charm and mystery that you can only find in New Orleans! My friends and I visited for Mardi Gras and we literally had a lush haven away from the Bourbon street mess. We could walk two blocks from the bed and breakfast and watch all the spectacular parades with all the locals families, dancing, drinking and enjoying the celebration. Afterwards we came back and relaxed underneath the palms in the courtyard, beautiful and soothing! The breakfast was delicious!!! Amazing southern food, the cook is out of this world!! The rooms are stunningly exotic, comfy and charming. We stayed in the Bordello, which had red walls, lace curtains, perfect for an evening of romance! The staff was so friendly that I did not want to leave. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else!!!

• Liked — The cozy rooms, amazing food and the charming, lovely staff
  • Disliked — That I couldn't stay longer! No complaints!!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank kitcatcabral

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Porltalnd OR
Reviewed February 17, 2007

So much fun to stay at the Creole Gardens. Rooms are clean, breakfast is yummy and served to order. Comfy patio area to hang out and meet new friends. When I go back to New Orleans I will stay there again. Thanks for everything

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank pdxgroup
Atlanta
Reviewed February 12, 2007

My cousin and I stayed at the Creole Gardens and loved it. the bed was amazing, the colors and decor of the room we stayed in were fun and festive.....our room had original artwork, great little touches with the furnishings----exactly the opposite of what you'd get in a regular hotel where everything is standard and is the same. Personally, I love quirky, fun, funky places (which is, I guess, why I love New Orleans) and if I want boring, uniform or sedate, there are any number of hotels I can stay in. I guess I love this place because it's like staying in a big, eccentric house that a really cool, artistic friend of your's has---and I just don't mean the furnishings, but also the atmosphere, the food (the home cooked huge breakfast), the friendliness, the fact that this is a REAL place, run by real people, and not just another stodgy B and B or corporate hotel. Honestly, I am so happy to find authentic places left in this world that I practically turn cartwheels when I stumble into one of them. Thank goodness New Orleans has places like this----(can't imagine it being in a different kind of city). Long live the Creole Gardens!! Long live New Orleans!!!!

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank Jukejoint5
Bay Area
Reviewed February 8, 2007

I stayed at the Creole Gardens in November of 2006 and it is truly a magical place. We arrived late at night and of course I had forgotten to let them know. Although the office was closed, I found my key and room easily. I was amazed at how personable and friendly everyone there was. The breakfasts were great and it felt like I was a member of the family. I will stay there every time I visit New Orleans in the future!

• Liked — Relaxed and friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank NannerBayArea
Galveson, Texas
Reviewed February 7, 2007

When I got to the Creole Gardens I immediately fell in love with this place. I've stayed at many hotels in New Orleans over the years and this is one of my all time favorites. It's got character and history, plus it's haunted. All rooms are non smoking, and as a smoker that normally bothers me. Not there, I went get me a great cup of coffe that Ms. Annie made, and sat on my little step. I sat there with my coffee and listened to New Orleans wake up. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to experience the true New Orleans. And let's not forget Ms. Annie and her fabulous breakfast. This is not a "continental" breakfast, it's a "what you want" breakfast and that's a beautiful thing, and that great coffee.

I travel constantly, I'm a touring comedian, so I stay in "lots" of hotels/motels, so I am critical. And I know what I like, and I like this place.

Come back to New Orleans and please enjoy "Creole Gardens", you won't regret it.

Thanks for a great stay John.

Caroline Picard
The Cajun Queen

2 Thank CajunQueenGalveston
central texas
Reviewed February 7, 2007

I must beg to differ with the negative review of the last post....I stayed here for four days during January and had a wonderful experience. The place was recommended by a friend, and it lived up to her enthusiastic recommendation. It is charming, with an eclectic flavor true to its New Orleans origins. My room was clean, freshly painted, the bed was immaculate and very comfortable, the staff felt like old friends from the first minute, the breakfasts cooked to order by Miss Annie were delicious, and they took the time to print out a map for me to my meeting ..... I would recommend the Creole Gardens to anyone wanting a fun, friendly, New Orleans visit.

2 Thank brazosvalley
Raleigh
Reviewed January 30, 2007

First, I'll state that this was a post-Katrina stay, but by over a year's time. I had been staying at a "mega hotel" for weeks and wanted to put my money into the local economy vs. into a hotel heiresses party fund.

I booked my stay at Creole Gardens based solely on their Website information and on TripAdvisor ratings. It pains me to say I was grossly mislead. I'll make this as concise as possible, and note that virtually all of these are OBJECTIVE vs. subjective, which should raise orange flags.

I stayed in a bordello room, second floor.

Pros:
- Very friendly staff
- Excellent homemade breakafast (see related con below)
- The nearby bars and restaraunts on St. Charles are great
- Shampoos and soaps were of nice quality
- Good a.m. coffee
- Price

Cons:
- Stunningly poor room quality: hairs in bed, plant LITERALLY growing through window from the outside, unpainted and unfinished rotten and moldy plywood sink counter (though the sink was handmade and beautiful), a coat-tree and 1.5' deep by 2' "wardrobe" was all I had for hanging anything, the only surface in my room on which to put things was a day bed or a table barely big enough on which to fit the television.
- I asked twice for at least a chair on which I could sit while I moved the television to the floor so I might do some work on the desk. It never came. I eventually had to get one myself from the dining room.
- Window unit climate control was very noisy
- Cook didn't show up for two days, and there was no one there to take her place
- Location - this part of Prytania St. and the Garden District is in serious trouble and has thusfar been unable to rebound. Granted, this is understandable based on circumstances, but I have to mention it being that this is a review.

Please understand that, save for the very last con above, hurricane damage can not be to blame. Rotten sink counters are fixable. Additional storage space is attainable. Also, part of owning a B&B is filling in when your help doesn't show.

All in all, I was disappointed as I really wanted to help out the nice owners, but I had to check out early on my own accord. Perhaps it was solely my room and that few days I was there that were off-kilter, but this was my straight experience.

6 Thank LittleSocrates