“A good budget option outside the Quarter”

Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The breakfast is adequate and the women who cook and manage the dining room are friendly, welcoming, and wonderful. The location is quite good, being a short walk to the street car. There are also a few bars/restaurants within walking distance. We stayed in the Lulu room and while the room itself is ok, it could use better draperies. The streetlight was annoying at night, and the morning sun flooded the room. Don’t choose Lulu if you want to sleep in. The bathroom could use a major overhaul. The flooring and fixtures are well worn, the water temperature in the shower is very difficult to control, and the water pressure is very low. We would definitely stay at Creole Gardens again, but would choose a different room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mbzr

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Creole Gardens is in the perfect location to ride your bike anywhere you would want to travel whether it be downtown, French Quarter, uptown, garden district, restaurants, shopping, sight seeing, whatever. The street car is also around the corner, if you do not have a bike. You really could walk almost any place, as well. The ambience at the B&B is truly N'awlins. Keith and Cathy were excellent hosts. We did not receive the room we booked, but received the room we desired, which was even better. Keith stored our bikes in the warehouse, which was an extra bonus. Breakfast was FULL SERVICE, FULL COURSE, made to order hot and delicious when we arrived in the beautiful, sunny dining area. Plenty of coffee, fresh fruit, and selection of breads for starters. Then Barbara Jean's granddaughter cooked the most amazing HOMEMADE blueberry pancakes, eggs to order, southern grits, and crisp bacon you could ever ask for. We didn't need lunch on both days. You can not beat the price of this little gem. I did read reviews about no room service, but that was NOT our experience. Our room was serviced and fresh towels replaced our used ones. There was ALWAYS someone in the office to answer any questions we had about directions, tours, history, or just to share a story and pass the time. You MUST ask to borrow the book about the history of Creole Gardens. It's a great read, even though I just skimmed the main points, would love to return and read more. Our mansion room #3 had a wonderful balcony seating area and separate wet bar with fridge for our fruit, drinks, and snacks. We road bikes to the WWII museum, a MUST see!! Walking would have been easer, it's so close. On Saturday, our self guided bike tour took us along Prytania St. mansions, a self guided cemetery tour, a movie filming on Jackson Ave, shops along Magazine, residential homes on Camp, beautiful tree lined Audubon Park, historic St. Charles Ave, inside the historic public library (FREE books were received), and much more. There is so much to see and do you really need at least 4 nights. Thank you Keith, Cathy, and all the staff for making our stay memorable!!! We WILL be returning. Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler.

Room Tip: Tell Keith or Cathy exactly what you are looking for and they will make sure you receive it. Also...
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have been to NOLA before, always staying in chain hotels but we wanted something different. We were very pleased with our stay here. Believe what their website says about if you want everything to be perfect, don't stay here. Having said that, it was perfect for the three of us -- me, my partner & her sister. We had the adjoining rooms with us downstairs and sister upstairs via external and internal staircases. The location was perfect -- we could walk to the arena, we could walk to the convention center, we could walk to the trolley stop. We loved that they saved these buildings and look forward to seeing it again sometime in the future as they rehab more. The breakfasts were

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The managers are super friendly and helpful people. Rooms are cute, clean, and comfortable. Nice, quiet location in the Garden District. It was easy to get to the French Quarter either walking or taking the trolley. They were very pet friendly and even helped suggesting places we could bring her. The courtyard is so cute and colorful! This is a great place to stay!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We needed somewhere to stay that would let us bring our German Shepherd, and from the website Creole Gardens seemed to have everything I was looking for.

A wonderful old building, we stayed in one of the cottages that had been the slave quarters, and it was so full of charm yet had everything we needed, and the breakfasts were awesome! Cathy looked after us from the moment we arrived, and made us and our dog feel very welcome. The courtyard garden was also lovely to sit out in of an evening, chatting away under the banana trees and being soothed by the sound of the fountain.

The location was perfect for us; the St Charles St trolley stop is just a couple of minutes walk away, or you can walk to Canal St in about 10-15 minutes and from there you've access to the French Quarter and the Mississippi, or if you walk the other way you can explore the Garden District.

I can't recommend this B&B enough, and we will be staying with them next time we visit New Orleans.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was planning our week get a way for our anniversary.. Being that we had never been to NOLA, I was exploring my options and there are many!! I booked our first night in a fabulous mansion right in the quarters. Then, for two nights I wanted something old and cozy not 5 star and elegant where the other guests are snobs and look at you like you don't belong. I kept coming back to Creole Gardens each time seeing the rooms getting booked and soon to be sold out. I am so glad I reserved a room in time. It was a great stay. The staff was wonderful. Breakfast was delicious and made to order. The St Charles Trolley one block behind us was wonderful. It was nice to come into our cold room from walking the and exploring the areas. I was somewhat disappointed that I was not aware of "drinks" being sold here until the next morning as we were having breakfast and checking out. I would have much rather stayed and drank Bloody Mary's in the courtyard or in the parlor relaxing than fighting my way through the crowds. But, I know now for next time!!

Room Tip: Elegant and Expensive is NOT always better... It's nice but explore your options and take a chan...
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is my last evening staying at the Creole Gardens Guesthouse. I have stayed here for 3 nights. And I don't regret it for one moment. Friendly and helpful people, a comfortable room. And very close to St. Charles Avenue, which makes it easy to catch the street car to the French Quarter. I think it is an advantage that it is a bit further away from the French Quarter itself.

O, I almost forgot to mention the beautiful courtyard.

One little thing: WiFi signal was difficult to detect from my room. It worked with my tablet, but the phone worked only sometimes. I had a room on the second floor. That might have been the problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo