“A fantastic hotel. It has everything you could ask for.”

The Frenchmen Hotel
Ranked #44 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Burlington, Vt
Reviewed April 17, 2005

We took a chance by visiting the Frenchmen last year, and my boyfriend and I fell in love! With the low price, you might expect a dive, but it was really a fantastic hotel. The pool was sparkling clean, the neighbors were quiet, the person at the front desk worked for an HOUR to get us swamp tour tickets. And the 24/7 coffee was delicious.

Sure, it wasn't sterile and perfect, but I find that boring. It was charming and sweet. If you need to be pampered and fanned like a poodle, this is not the place for you. Try the Four Seasons. If you like bright colored walls, antique furniture, and a street that hums with history, this is the place for you.

I almost want to sabotage the review so it won't get too popular and I won't be able to get reservations again!! :-)

Loved it, we're staying there again in two weeks and we're bringing four friends!

• Stayed: April 2004
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Eau Claire, WI
Reviewed March 29, 2005

I don't understand how this hotel could get any bad reviews. My girlfriend and I stayed here from March 22-25, 2005 and found everything more than satisfactory. It has a great location, great price, friendly service, and a good breakfast. We didn't have any problems with making reservations or having clean rooms as was reported by other reviewers. The only complaint I can think of... it was my understanding that parking was included, but we had to pay $7 a night instead. This was still cheaper than any public parking in the area or compared to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed February 9, 2005

My husband and I made a reservation for 4 nights at Frenchmen for our first year anniversary. We received the confirmation from the hotel and cancelled our other hotel reservation. We were relaxed and excited about our trip. However few days later, they sent us an email stating that they actually do not have all 4 nights available (only the first 2 nights were available). We tried to get our other hotel reservation back but, we missed that opportunity as well, since they do not have any rooms available anymore. Many other hotels in our budget range are already booked as well. We already bought the plane tickets and cannot change the dates... Thus, thanks to Frenchmen instead of having a relaxed and happy wait for our exciting trip, we are stressed about our stay. Thanks for ruining it for us! We would never use this hotel in the future. Don't make a reservation at this hotel, if you are looking for something reliable!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded February 20, 2005

Due to a miscommunication on our end, the reservation was not handled in the manner that our customers have come to expect. I have since contacted the guest and were able to make other arrangements at one of our sister properties on behalf of this guest. It was not our intention to inconvenience or cause undo stress for such an important occasion. On behalf of our hotel, I do offer our sincere apology for this mistake and insure you that we are working diligently to insure that this type of error does not happen again

Waynesboro, Mississippi
Reviewed January 22, 2005

This hotel has it all! The employees are very courteous and honest. They treat you with the respect that you deserve. The hotel is just a block from the biggest party center in the United States. They also have a wonderful jacuzzi/pool. The one thing that is wrong with The Frenchmen is the small parking lot. I would tell anyone who plans to visit New Orleans to stay at The Frenchmen.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 17, 2005

This hotel has great location, close to local music and restaurants. That is its best feature. I had the unpleasant experience of a dirty, unmade room. There were no sheets on the bed, no towels in the bathroom, and the floor of the bathroom and shower were dirty. The night clerk was nice, but reluctantly brought sheets and towels to my room and made the bed. No cleaning was done. I was to stay 2 nights, but cancelled my second night. When I checked out in the morning, a different clerk asked about my accommodations and refunded $25 of my stay, and apologized for the terrible service. It was definitely nothing like it's on-line description. I will go back to New Orleans, but never to this hotel.

5  Thank ccachen
Management response:Responded January 25, 2005

I do apologize for your room not being ready. The room that you were assigned to was out of order to fix the tiles in the bathroom shower. Our maintenance guys were in ther till the very last minute and housekeeping overlooked it. As manager I do check the rooms prior to guest arrival and I too overlooked this room. I would not expect any of my guest to sleep in an unmade room and I'm working with housekeeping more so this never happens again. Once again I do apologize and I hope you have a great time in New Orleans on your next visit.

Lafayette, LA
Reviewed January 8, 2005

My husband and I were given a stay and the Frenchman for our honeymoon in November 2004. It was amazing perfectly located next to the French Quarter and just what a honeymoon should be. We loved the quaint southern feel and the history that was inclosed inside the hotel was what anyone would want to have on there honeymoon. The only problem was that the bathroom included a small shower but if I have to deal with a small shower to have a life time of memories in one of the greatest cities that Louisana has to offer I don't have a problem with that.

• Stayed: November 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 2, 2004

We stayed at The Frenchmen for 3 nights during Easter 2004. Very quaint looking hotel, great location, one very helpful member of staff (one may have been having a bad day) and a very good breakfast. Our room was awful - the small window looked onto a brick wall of the alley people used constantly to go to the garage. (The room was sandwiched between a small pedestrian alley and the walled drive way to the garage). The furniture was tired, old and grubby wicker. The flowery carpet was old and impossible to get clean. I made the mistake of dropping something on the floor and it rolled under the bed - they hadn't been moved, or cleaned under for years. Previous occupants had left things in the drawers... The possibley only worst room was next door - that was on the street so would have been much noisier.

3  Thank Janie M
Management response:Responded December 22, 2004

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your recent review of The Frenchmen and were disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with the hotel. However, since your stay at the beginning of the year, The Frenchmen has undergone some changes for the better.

Recognizing that there were problems in regards to customer service and cleanliness, we have brought in a new manager to work on these issues. He is working diligently to improve service and has brought a new focus to the property.

When you are located in a unique place like the French Quarter, there are many obstacles to deal with, including street noise and building layouts. As with most New Orleans Bed and Breakfasts, The Frenchmen was once a historic residential property. This adds to the charm but creates challenges in regards to room sizes and locations.

Again, I thank you for reviewing our hotel and hope that you decide to give The Frenchmen another chance on your next visit to our amazing city. I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Best Regards and Happy Holiday