“Amazing Honeymoon stay.”

The Frenchmen Hotel
Ranked #45 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Lafayette, LA
Reviewed January 8, 2005

My husband and I were given a stay and the Frenchman for our honeymoon in November 2004. It was amazing perfectly located next to the French Quarter and just what a honeymoon should be. We loved the quaint southern feel and the history that was inclosed inside the hotel was what anyone would want to have on there honeymoon. The only problem was that the bathroom included a small shower but if I have to deal with a small shower to have a life time of memories in one of the greatest cities that Louisana has to offer I don't have a problem with that.

• Stayed: November 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed December 2, 2004

We stayed at The Frenchmen for 3 nights during Easter 2004. Very quaint looking hotel, great location, one very helpful member of staff (one may have been having a bad day) and a very good breakfast. Our room was awful - the small window looked onto a brick wall of the alley people used constantly to go to the garage. (The room was sandwiched between a small pedestrian alley and the walled drive way to the garage). The furniture was tired, old and grubby wicker. The flowery carpet was old and impossible to get clean. I made the mistake of dropping something on the floor and it rolled under the bed - they hadn't been moved, or cleaned under for years. Previous occupants had left things in the drawers... The possibley only worst room was next door - that was on the street so would have been much noisier.

3  Thank Janie M
Management response:Responded December 22, 2004

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your recent review of The Frenchmen and were disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with the hotel. However, since your stay at the beginning of the year, The Frenchmen has undergone some changes for the better.

Recognizing that there were problems in regards to customer service and cleanliness, we have brought in a new manager to work on these issues. He is working diligently to improve service and has brought a new focus to the property.

When you are located in a unique place like the French Quarter, there are many obstacles to deal with, including street noise and building layouts. As with most New Orleans Bed and Breakfasts, The Frenchmen was once a historic residential property. This adds to the charm but creates challenges in regards to room sizes and locations.

Again, I thank you for reviewing our hotel and hope that you decide to give The Frenchmen another chance on your next visit to our amazing city. I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Best Regards and Happy Holiday

Management and Staff

Reviewed November 30, 2004

I was there a few weeks ago and found this place to be great. Clean, safe (I was a woman staying alone). You have to pass through the front desk area (with a separate key to even get into the main office area) to get to your room so I felt it was totally secure. Pastries and coffee were wonderful in the morning. Loved the courtyard. Location was great. I would stay here again and again. As far as the previous poster's problem with his reservation, it was made perfectly clear that in order for the reservation to be held, a check for half has to be received within ten days. I sent the check, received a written confirmation, and had no problems.

1  Thank DoriChicago
Reviewed November 25, 2004

For are needs found the hotel great, cheap, free parking, central location and some nice funky bars near by. The room is small though clean, and the pastries and coffee in the morning started the day off nicely. However this hotel is not for families with small children or people who will be spending a lot of time in the room.

2  Thank M1ssy2710
Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 17, 2004

Well, I reserved back in April with a credit card confirmation. I even have emails from the Frenchmen stating that it is confirmed with a credit card. I have also called and received confirmation over the phone.

Yesterday (17 Nov 2004), Welford McCaffrey wrote me that since I had not sent in a deposit within 10 days of making the reservation, my reservation was cancelled. Again, I made reservations back in April and have confirmed that everything was fine 3 times by email and once over the phone.

After reading these reviews, I'm glad they cancelled my reservations. I just hope they don't charge my card after reading some of the payment issues in the below reviews.

Since they cancelled my reservation due to some mix-up, I reserved in the Prince Conti Hotel today which is right in the middle of everything just off Bourbon. Almost all reviews here are positive on the Prince Conti and it only costs $100 more for the entire stay (6 nights) and that includes an additional $20 in parking which is of course free at the Frenchmen.

After reading below reviews, I think I owe the Frenchmen a thank you for cancelling my already confirmed reservations whoever cancelling confirmed reservations just over a month before checkin is very unprofessional.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded December 2, 2004

Dear Guest,

We welcome your comments in regards to your experience with The Frenchmen as well as apologize for the confusion with your reservation.

Due to the small size of our guesthouse and the policy to not overbook, it is our practice to only hold reservations that have been secured by a deposit. This was not properly communicated to you; additionally you should have been contacted prior to your reservation being cancelled. It seems like we clearly dropped the ball in this case.

I am working with our new manager, Shane Nea, at the Frenchmen to construct a clear confirmation letter that clearly explains our policies in regards to reservations and deposits to avoid any future problems for our guests.

Again, I apologize that you were inconvenienced by our mistake and hope that you will give us a chance to correct the situation on your next trip to our city.

Best Regards,

Christie Crawford
Marketing and Revenue Manager

Reviewed November 15, 2004

The Frenchman is great - location and value. The low rates give it an edge and the locations is quiet. The rooms are smaller but classic New Orleans Creole Townhouse which make it cool. Excellent staff and parking I will be back.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2004

I think the title about sums it up...

Just got back from a two day stay at the Frenchman. I had worries after some of the reviews earlier in the year, but glad to say that they were unfounded.

Room is small, but then when visiting somewhere like New Orleans - just how much time are you going to spend in the room? Staff were friendly/helpful - though my interaction with them was limited really to checking in and checking out.

My only concern about the hotel (or at least the room I was in) would be security. The door is a bad fit, and showed all the signs of having been forced open at some point in the past, with a "bodge" job of putting it back on. In fact i don't even think that that door originally came from that room. I was also visiting friends, so gave them my valuables, so didn't enquire as to wether the hotel had a safe or not (though by lousianna law, i believe all hotels have to provide something - either in the room or at central location).

Will i go back to Frenchman. Most definately. Will i recommend it. If all you're after is a bed, a toilet and a shower, and want cheap but central accomodation - you can't fault the frenchman. If you want modern, and modern facilities - go elsewhere - the frenchman isn't for you.

• Stayed: November 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded November 21, 2004

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments in regards to your recent stay with us and were sorry to hear that you had some worries.

Our 1860’s building is listed in the Historical Building Registry and represents classis French Quarter architecture complete with balconies and brick courtyards. You are correct in stating that if visitors want a modern facility, we are not the place to be; however, we believe that staying at a cookie cutter hotel does not allow a true New Orleans “experience”.

I would also like to emphasize that we think that our guesthouse is safe. We have a secure front and parking entrance as well as being equipped with video surveillance, a security system, and safe deposit boxes. In response to your concern, our maintenance staff is currently checking all doors to ensure safety for all our guests.

I also wanted to thank you for the positive comments in your review. We are proud that our staff works hard to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay. Thank you again for reviewing our hotel, and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to our city.

Management and Staff