“New Orleans Charm”

The Frenchmen Hotel
Ranked #42 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Del Rio, Texas
Reviewed November 2, 2004

Just returned from the Frenchmen Hotel over Halloween weekend, had a wonderful time, staff was great, friendly an very willing to help you, rooms were very very nice, clean, very old fasion style, typical old New Orleans, this hotel is what I expected, when I go to New Orleans, I want to experence the New Orleans stlye, and this hotel has it old fasion charm, rooms were small yes but thats the style of a old hotel,if your looking for a lot of new modern aminities then maybe you should look else where, but if you like the going to New Orleans an enjoy its old charms then this is a must to try, location was close to everything, price you cant beat it, I will return to this hotel in the future no doubt about it. Desk clerk Randy is the man, he goes out of his way tohelp you out all the time, thanks Randy.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed August 30, 2004

Well, I rated this hotel/motel 2 stars as opposed to 1 because there were SOME good aspects. For one, the pastries in the mornings were pretty good. Probably not the best, but the selection was good. The coffee was good too. Also, the staff was very polite. Now, the room itself was not very good. However, the rate was excellent + free parking + free continental breakfast. You really can't beat that. Even with the great rate, there are BASIC requirements that should be met. The following are the problems that we found:

Dimmer on canister lights did not work.
All light fixtures should have working lightbulbs. Several lightbulbs were missing.

Bathtub was very very very dirty. The rest of the bathroom was clean.
Sink was not draining.

Air blowing out of A/C smelled like urine. (At first, I could not pinpoint where the smell of urine was coming from, but I stood in front of the A/C one evening and turned it off. Then when I turned it back on, I smelled it. It was killing me.

Door knob had no latch in it.
Extra latch on the door also did not work.

Bed sheets were clean, comforter had stains on the inside.

Some of these things would not bother people, especially if you go there just to get drunk and don't get back to your room until 2am or so..However, if you have children, I do not recommend this room. Pay the extra $$ and stay elsewhere (just not on Bourbon). The thing is, the french quarter is so dirty, that for ME, I would've liked to have come to a nice clean room. Our family likes to come back to the room a few times during the day to just rest our feet and chill out for a half an hour or so. I dreaded coming back to the room, so we just stayed out. If you are like me, then you would do better in a nicer room.

• Stayed: August 2004
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 23, 2004

Very nice staff & very good Continental breakfast. Also, great location near French Market. Some good restaurants within walking distance. However, the room I stayed in was about the size of a walk in closet. The bathroom was extremely tiny with hardly any water pressure. Also, there was a large crack where the door to the outside of the room did not close properly. I was told that there were larger, much nicer rooms on the premises, but none were available at that time. I would suggest to anyone considering the Frenchmen for the first time to ask very specific questions about your accomodations. One night of that room was all I could take.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ridgecrest CA
Reviewed August 21, 2004

Just what I expected, a quaint B&B, staff was ALWAYS friendly and helpful. My room was spotless, and whenever I needed anything I received it usually within minutes. I felt safe and enjoyed the fact there are private bathrooms in each room, yes that makes the room a bit smaller, but it is a trade off I can live with. I spent little time in my room anyway, as do most people visiting New Orleans. Always people around so walking through the quarter was non threatening and enjoyable. Oh for a cheeseburger from Margaritaville right now...Yes I'll stay here whenever I return. No more wasting money on a "name" hotel. I'll take the personal touch everytime!!!!!!

Yorktown, In
Reviewed August 15, 2004

I have been to the Frenchmen three times. I just came back and two things were clear. One, it has changed hands since the last time I was there (two years ago) and two, it is not for the better. The place seemed very rundown. The shower in our room had a six inch hole in the wall! It is really a shame. The location is great. The courtyard and pool are nice. The prices are amazing. It used to be the biggest steal in New Orleans. Now, you get what you pay for. Next time, I will be looking elsewhere.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 3, 2004

I stayed at the Frenchman the first time I went to New Orleans. I was very disappointed because the hotel room looked nothing like the pamplet illistrated. It was quite the opposite!!! The carpet in the room was dirty and the headboard on the bed was broken. The room was disgusting!!
I stayed there one night and decided to go to Hotel St. Marie on Toulouse St. It was the same price and a whole lot nicer.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 28, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Frenchmen last January. It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The floors were dirty. The furniture was old and ugly. There were also roaches in the bathroom. When we left the hotel, I left my pillow. I called the hotel and asked them if they could send it to me. They agreed and never sent the pillow even after calling them several times and talking to the manager, who also agreed to send it. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2004