“Not what it used to be”

The Frenchmen Hotel
Ranked #46 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed August 15, 2004

I have been to the Frenchmen three times. I just came back and two things were clear. One, it has changed hands since the last time I was there (two years ago) and two, it is not for the better. The place seemed very rundown. The shower in our room had a six inch hole in the wall! It is really a shame. The location is great. The courtyard and pool are nice. The prices are amazing. It used to be the biggest steal in New Orleans. Now, you get what you pay for. Next time, I will be looking elsewhere.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Reviewed August 3, 2004

I stayed at the Frenchman the first time I went to New Orleans. I was very disappointed because the hotel room looked nothing like the pamplet illistrated. It was quite the opposite!!! The carpet in the room was dirty and the headboard on the bed was broken. The room was disgusting!!
I stayed there one night and decided to go to Hotel St. Marie on Toulouse St. It was the same price and a whole lot nicer.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Frenchmen last January. It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The floors were dirty. The furniture was old and ugly. There were also roaches in the bathroom. When we left the hotel, I left my pillow. I called the hotel and asked them if they could send it to me. They agreed and never sent the pillow even after calling them several times and talking to the manager, who also agreed to send it. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed January 2004
2 Thank Vanilla1217
Reviewed July 24, 2004

Just stayed 2 nights recently, hardly stayed in the room as we walked all around the Old and New French Quarter area. Live music, shops food. I was surprised as one morning there was a wedding by the pool and the day before I saw a wedding too. The French Quarter is now full of people getting married by some Dr. Jerry in New Orleans. I liked the hotel as it was close to all that I wanted to see and do. Nice staff too.

Reviewed July 16, 2004

I am a frequent visitor to New Orleans, and only discovered the Frenchman on my most recent trip. Because of the incredible rate that I found, I decided to risk it without knowing much about it. What a find! It's in a great location, very close to great resteraunts, clubs, and the French Market. The staff was incredibly welcoming, the hot tub was soothing after long days of walking, the courtyard was New Orleans picturesque, and the room was cozy and clean. I love this hotel and plan on staying there on every return visit.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Frederick, MD
Reviewed June 24, 2004

This was my 3rd trip to New Orleans and the first time staying in a non-chain type of hotel. This place was very nice. Clean and comfortable. Randy and Robert (front desk guys) were both quite hospitable and helpful. The pool in the courtyard was a great gathering place in the late evening. Great location too! Just a couple of blocks from all the downtown activity, yet very quiet. We took the "Magic Tour" while we were in the quarter one night and I highly reccomend that SPECIFIC tour! Ron (the tour guy) was great. If I had to complain about something it would be that the bed was too soft. Other than that, great deal...great price...great location. The morning pastries were tasty too! Make sure you get up early enough to get the big apple one - yummmm!

1 Thank HiringCPAs