“The truth about the Queen Loft Suite - Room 212” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Frenchmen Hotel

The Frenchmen Hotel
Ranked #50 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Lexington, KY
“The truth about the Queen Loft Suite - Room 212”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I have stayed in “boutique” hotels in other large cities, so I expected smaller rooms, dated décor, etc. And although I feel that the Frenchmen could make some updates (neater paint, hang curtain rods so that they are not slanted, fix the hole in the wall behind the door, replace the missing smoke detector) to improve the overall look of the establishment, that’s not really what upset me about my stay at the Frenchmen. All those items could easily be overlooked and dismissed (or repaired). We had a large group that traveled to the hotel for a friend’s birthday. We had at least five rooms at the hotel, and I believe most people were satisfied with their rooms. The other rooms that I visited throughout the weekend seemed just fine. Unfortunately, I can only review the room that I was given and the service I received. I booked the room (a “suite”) online several months in advance. There was apparently a glitch and my credit card was not charged. I noticed the error when I received the confirmation email so I immediately called and had the situation corrected. I spoke with Kenesha and she was very helpful and very nice. I confirmed with her that two married couples would be sharing this room and she assured me that the room had adequate space and accommodations for four adults. I called back a few weeks later and extended our stay to three nights. Again, the staff was super helpful and I once again confirmed with them that this room was to house four adults for the time frame requested. I was again assured that it was adequate. The website indicated that there was a queen size bed in the loft and a sofa bed in the downstairs area. My husband and I volunteered to sleep on the sofa bed since the other female in our group was six months pregnant during our stay. I’ve never slept on a sofa bed that wasn’t uncomfortable, so we prepared ourselves. What we did not expect upon our check in was a room that had a queen bed in the loft and a very small faux leather futon in the downstairs area. When the futon was unfolded it was perhaps almost as wide as a full size mattress, but was not even long enough for my 5’7” height. My husband is almost 6’3”. (I have included a picture of my brother who is approximately 6’1” lying on the futon in our room). With the futon, we were provided one pillow and one blanket, no sheets of any kind. I immediately went down to the front desk and advised that the room we booked was supposed to have a sofa bed, not a futon. The girl at the front desk then very robotically repeated to me several times that my room indeed had a “sofabedfuton.” I agreed that my room had a futon, but explained that I do not believe a sofa bed and futon to be the same thing. Never at any point did she say “I’m sorry that you’re unhappy” or acknowledge my complaint in any way. She just repeated that a “sofabedfuton” was in my room. So, I decided to give her an out and make my own suggestion as to how she could fix this situation. I told her that I would use the futon if she could provide my husband with a cot for no additional charge. She then advised me that she would check to see if she could find a cot for me, but that there would be a daily charge. At this point I admit that I became so frustrated that I was rude. I asked her if I could speak to her manager. She said he wasn’t there. Another guest then showed up to check in and she showed them inside. She came back to the counter where I was waiting to leave my number for the manager and she just stared at me. I asked again if she could have the manager call me. At that point the phone was ringing. She turned away from me and answered the phone. I was so frustrated that I picked up a pen and wrote my cell number across the top of our receipt which was still lying on the counter and slammed the pen down. Management, please pull the receipt and verify this if you need to. I have never encountered such poor customer service in my life. I’m sure she is a very nice girl, but she could benefit from some training in basic customer service skills. I went back to my room and fumed for a while. Finally, another front desk worker called our room. I explained the situation to him and he robotically recited the “your room has a sofabedfuton” line. I told him I’d heard that before and he confirmed that that’s what management had told them to say in this situation. I let him know that the website very clearly stated “sofa bed,” not “sofabedfuton.” I did not get his name, but he was much nicer and acknowledged my complaint and advised he would discuss with a manager ASAP. He was calm and helpful despite the fact that I was almost belligerently angry at this point. As I mentioned earlier, we went into this with expectations on the low end of the spectrum. But I feel that the hotel’s website and staff misrepresented this room both on the website and in my phone conversations with them. This room is NOT adequate for two adult couples. Since every hotel room in the city was booked the weekend we were there, we had little choice but to stay at the Frenchmen at that point. The young man I spoke with on the phone was able to bring us a queen size air mattress to use during our stay and did not charge us extra for it. The air mattress was fine and probably ended up being more comfortable than a sofa bed, but I do not like being mislead about what I am purchasing. A few other issues we encountered…..The sheets that accompanied the air mattress were stained and housekeeping did not change them during our three day stay. We also had to ask for the correct number of towels every day. Despite booking a room for four people and reminding the front desk of this, we never had four of anything left in our room. And they never left the same number of towels/washcloths. We also ran out of Kleenex and bottled water the first night and neither was ever replaced. I think it may help the housekeeping staff to be provided a checklist of items to replenish and restock. We also had a gigantic waterbug type critter visit us the last morning of our stay (pics provided). I understand that NOLA is swampy and buggy, so I tried not to be super freaked out about it. My suite mates confirmed that it was NOT a roach, so that was comforting. We also found out when we returned to the hotel that first evening that the front door requires a passcode. Everyone else in our party received the code at check in, but it was not mentioned to us, nor were we provided any wi-fi information. At the end of the futon issue, the manager was willing to speak with me, but I did not feel like dedicating any more of my celebration weekend to the “sofabedfuton” issue. I wanted to move past it and enjoy the time with friends and family. I REALLY wanted to like this place. It was recommended to me by friends and the location is awesome. Other people mentioned the noise, but room 212 is in the back. We could hear the music and talking, but it wasn’t loud enough to keep any of us from sleeping. This place has SO much going for it, and some of the stuff above may seem nit-picky, but when you combine all these little problems and inconveniences with the “sofabedfuton” issue, it made for a really unpleasant stay. As I mentioned at the beginning, others in our party had great experiences with both their rooms and the staff. Since I can only base my review on my own personal experience I, unfortunately, cannot recommend that anyone stay in the loft suite at the Frenchmen Hotel.

Room Tip: Queen loft suite will not comfortably sleep 4 adults
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mml1977
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
We do apologies for any inconvenience. There was a sofabed in that room when you booked it. Unfortunately that furniture was damaged by guests at some time between your booking and your arrival. The futon was a hasty compromise. I'm afraid the agent with whom you dealt was new to the property and didn't have the experience to deal with an issue of that magnitude. We do hope that you will give us a chance at some point in the future to provide you with the experience that the other members of your group seemed to have had. Again, our apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Tinley Park, Il
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel does not honor reservations made on their website. I booked a suite online (using my credit card to guarantee it) for 3 nights and received a confirmation number from the hotel. I received an email from them 12 hours later, in the middle of the night, saying that the room type that I booked was not available for all 3 nights but that I could switch to another room type for the third night. I responded via email that I really needed two beds which was why I booked the suite in the first place and asked if they could accommodate this request. In the middle of the night, I received another email telling me that now the hotel was fully booked for the third night. They then had the audacity to ask if I still wanted to book the first two nights. I simply cannot understand why they would not hold a room for me when I gave them a credit card and received a confirmation number. I emailed them that this was completely unprofessional and that I would not be staying with them. I received no response at all. I guess customer service is not their strong suit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank EiMertens
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
We must apologies for any confusion. Our website sends a confirmation of reservation request and the credit card is not attached unless the room is guaranteed so please know that we wouldn't effect your card. It does sometimes happen that a room type will go very quickly, especially if there is some sort of event going on in the city at that time. Given that we sell a great many of our rooms over the phone it sometimes happens that the website can lag a little in its inventory correctness. We are endeavoring to find a solution to this issue. We do apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused and hope that you'll try us again.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I can’t rank this hotel higher than three stars but I’d honestly like to. We stayed here 20 years ago on our honeymoon and decided that we’d do it again for our 20th anniversary since we were going back to the Big Easy to celebrate. We were broke back then, and I’m not even sure how we found the place pre-internet but it fit the bill for us back in the day. 20 years later our tastes have changed quite a bit thanks to having better jobs and saving up some money for travel, but we wanted to revisit our beginnings so the Frenchmen was the obvious choice.

First of all, it’s an old building so it has lots of character. But it’s also an old building so you get the creaky stairs and floors, the water pressure isn’t great, lighting isn’t great etc. It’s a two story hotel, but has no elevator. The pool is nice, but it’s only big enough for a few people at a time to enjoy. The floating around is awesome, but that’s about all you’ll get out of it. No real swimming can be done. Everything is very clean though, and the staff is friendly and awesome. It’s not as expensive as a newer, fancier hotel either. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for - new and shiney and pricey in the heart of party town, or affordable, smaller, and a little off the beaten path…

If you want a place to sleep and aren’t worried about doing some walking, it’s a perfect fit. Also, the location is good if you want to walk up Frenchmen Street (which acts as the eastern boundary of the French Quarter) and find some great bars and restaurants that mostly locals visit. Our first evening we walked up one block and caught the neighborhood brass band entertaining the whole area. They sounded great!

In a nutshell, you’ll get a good room and good service at a good price at the Frenchmen, but you’re a little outside the area where things happen if you’re wanting the full French Quarter experience. And it’s a 3 star hotel, not 5. Don’t go into it expecting more than you pay for.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kemoszabe
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate it. Frenchmen Street is a unique location. We hope to see you again soon.
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

What a great place to stay. The room was perfect and the staff was amazing!! We never wanted to leave. Yes there is noise in the form of wonderful music at night from the surrounding bars and we loved falling asleep to it. My husband and I will stay here every time we come to town.

Room Tip: We had room 300 with a terrific balcony!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
You are so gracious! Thank you so much. We really do love hearing that guests have had a good experience. We hope to see you often and that we always meet your standards.
Boulder
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Get some ear plugs for late night noise on Frenchmen Street but that's the only downside to this great hotel near all the action - music, shopping, great food. Close to the river trolley line so you can get anywhere conveniently. Great front desk folks help with just about anything. Great place overall!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaWigMan
Thank you so much. The streetcar is a real convenience. I was speaking to some people, maybe you, about getting around by streetcar and realized that there isn't much you can't get to and for a darn low price daily. The noise is, I suppose, part and parcel of Frenchmen Street but if you let us know when making a reservation that you want something quieter we can get you to the back of the property and tuck you into a quiet corner.

Again, thanks for commenting.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The entire hotel is boutique! The staff are totally lovable. The service is excellent. When you ask for something you get it immediately. The location is perfect. Right across the street of the hotel you can go wash clothes at a laundromat hidden in the back of a bar. Totally cool! The Frenchmen Hotel made my first time to NOLA wonderful and I am sending my family and friends to that lovely hotel. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlook pool are very nice
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
We are so happy to hear you had a nice stay. We rather like our Boutique status and I have to say the staff rather loves the location as well. We couldn't be happier that you'll be referring us. Next time you come introduce yourself to the staff as one of our Tripadvisor commentators.
Huntsville, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Two nights at the Frenchmen weren't enough. My two friends and I stayed in a double queen, room 302 and we loved it. It was thoroughly cleaned before we checked in. A small tv in the room, but we were seriously not there to watch tv.

We got lucky and got one of the hotel parking slots (there's about 9, I think, in a private secure lot). Historic building, eclectic New Orleans decor and comfortable.
We enjoyed relaxing on the the deck, listening to the live bands playing on the patio next door.
A lovely clean little pool in the courtyard, which we took advantage of.
A continental breakfast in the mornings. Our room didn't have a coffee maker but, coffee was available in the reception area 24/7 so that was just fine.

Located just about a block away from the French Market. Lots of music venues and restaurants nearby.

If I had to "complain" about anything, I'd warn you that room 302 is ground level, no blackout curtains (uncovered arched windows above the curtained regular windows) and Friday and Saturday night (and maybe more) you can hear the people walking by your window and the live bands next door. But this didn't really bother us.
The tub was a bit old and had those squishy no-skid things pressed on the bottom. It could use an upgrade. I always wear shower shoes when I travel, so, no big deal.

All n All, We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I would think rooms on the second floor and towards the back and North/NorthEast side of the hotel a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
That really is a great description of us and I want to thank you for taking the time to post. Please come back as often as you'd like. We certainly are looking forward to seeing you.