The Frenchmen Hotel
$179
$153
Preferred Hotels
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$108
$99
  • Breakfast included
$215
$184
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$117
$249
$189
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Omni Riverfront Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$137
$118
$179
$127
InterContinental
  • Pool
Omni Royal Orleans(New Orleans)
$223
$197
1,011 results
All reviewshot tubfrench marketfrenchman streetgreat musichear musicmusic scenecourtyard poolrooftop barrooms are smallcontinental breakfastnight lifeperfect locationcharming hotelmardi grasfew blocksbourbon stjackson square
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I can’t rank this hotel higher than three stars but I’d honestly like to. We stayed here 20 years ago on our honeymoon and decided that we’d do it again for our 20th anniversary since we were going back to the Big Easy to celebrate. We were broke back then, and I’m not even sure how we found the place pre-internet but it fit the bill for us back in the day. 20 years later our tastes have changed quite a bit thanks to having better jobs and saving up some money for travel, but we wanted to revisit our beginnings so the Frenchmen was the obvious choice.

First of all, it’s an old building so it has lots of character. But it’s also an old building so you get the creaky stairs and floors, the water pressure isn’t great, lighting isn’t great etc. It’s a two story hotel, but has no elevator. The pool is nice, but it’s only big enough for a few people at a time to enjoy. The floating around is awesome, but that’s about all you’ll get out of it. No real swimming can be done. Everything is very clean though, and the staff is friendly and awesome. It’s not as expensive as a newer, fancier hotel either. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for - new and shiney and pricey in the heart of party town, or affordable, smaller, and a little off the beaten path…

If you want a place to sleep and aren’t worried about doing some walking, it’s a perfect fit. Also, the location is good if you want to walk up Frenchmen Street (which acts as the eastern boundary of the French Quarter) and find some great bars and restaurants that mostly locals visit. Our first evening we walked up one block and caught the neighborhood brass band entertaining the whole area. They sounded great!

In a nutshell, you’ll get a good room and good service at a good price at the Frenchmen, but you’re a little outside the area where things happen if you’re wanting the full French Quarter experience. And it’s a 3 star hotel, not 5. Don’t go into it expecting more than you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kemoszabe
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate it. Frenchmen Street is a unique location. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

What a great place to stay. The room was perfect and the staff was amazing!! We never wanted to leave. Yes there is noise in the form of wonderful music at night from the surrounding bars and we loved falling asleep to it. My husband and I will stay here every time we come to town.

Room Tip: We had room 300 with a terrific balcony!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

You are so gracious! Thank you so much. We really do love hearing that guests have had a good experience. We hope to see you often and that we always meet your standards.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Get some ear plugs for late night noise on Frenchmen Street but that's the only downside to this great hotel near all the action - music, shopping, great food. Close to the river trolley line so you can get anywhere conveniently. Great front desk folks help with just about anything. Great place overall!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaWigMan

Thank you so much. The streetcar is a real convenience. I was speaking to some people, maybe you, about getting around by streetcar and realized that there isn't much you can't get to and for a darn low price daily. The noise is, I suppose, part and parcel of Frenchmen Street but if you let us know when making a reservation that you want something quieter we can get you to the back of the property and tuck you into a quiet corner.

Again, thanks for commenting.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The entire hotel is boutique! The staff are totally lovable. The service is excellent. When you ask for something you get it immediately. The location is perfect. Right across the street of the hotel you can go wash clothes at a laundromat hidden in the back of a bar. Totally cool! The Frenchmen Hotel made my first time to NOLA wonderful and I am sending my family and friends to that lovely hotel. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlook pool are very nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

We are so happy to hear you had a nice stay. We rather like our Boutique status and I have to say the staff rather loves the location as well. We couldn't be happier that you'll be referring us. Next time you come introduce yourself to the staff as one of our Tripadvisor commentators.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Two nights at the Frenchmen weren't enough. My two friends and I stayed in a double queen, room 302 and we loved it. It was thoroughly cleaned before we checked in. A small tv in the room, but we were seriously not there to watch tv.

We got lucky and got one of the hotel parking slots (there's about 9, I think, in a private secure lot). Historic building, eclectic New Orleans decor and comfortable.
We enjoyed relaxing on the the deck, listening to the live bands playing on the patio next door.
A lovely clean little pool in the courtyard, which we took advantage of.
A continental breakfast in the mornings. Our room didn't have a coffee maker but, coffee was available in the reception area 24/7 so that was just fine.

Located just about a block away from the French Market. Lots of music venues and restaurants nearby.

If I had to "complain" about anything, I'd warn you that room 302 is ground level, no blackout curtains (uncovered arched windows above the curtained regular windows) and Friday and Saturday night (and maybe more) you can hear the people walking by your window and the live bands next door. But this didn't really bother us.
The tub was a bit old and had those squishy no-skid things pressed on the bottom. It could use an upgrade. I always wear shower shoes when I travel, so, no big deal.

All n All, We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I would think rooms on the second floor and towards the back and North/NorthEast side of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

That really is a great description of us and I want to thank you for taking the time to post. Please come back as often as you'd like. We certainly are looking forward to seeing you.