“Great Experience/Charming Place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
baton rouge, LA
“Great Experience/Charming Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay during Jazz Fest. Our suite/apt was comfortable and roomy with kitchen, living/dining area and bedroom. Loved the pool/hot tub/courtyard area and the sundeck near our room. Enjoyed sitting on our balcony on Frenchmen St listening to music anytime of the day or night. Also, enjoyed the live music all along Frenchmen Street. Parking was easy and convenient. Also very easy to get cabs to/from hotel to other parts of the city. Would definitely stay here again. Staff was very friendly, helpful, and accomodating. Quaint, charming hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank wdwb
Hugh S, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and others on Tripadvisor. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's always great to sit out on the balcony and listen to the tasteful music out on your balcony. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Kenesha Green

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We booked this hotel to be close the the music venues on Frenchmen Street, and asked to be located towards the back of the hotel as other reviews indicated that it was quieter toward the back. As with another reviewer, we arrived to have our room assignments changed even thought we too had booked in January. I have to say that the staff there, for the most part were great, and worked very hard to keep the guests happy. But, there are too many issues with this hotel to give it a very good rating. I don't expect there are any rooms there that are quiet, and this is mostly because the building is old with original doors and windows that do not keep out the noise, and most rooms are located around the courtyard with the pool. The courtyard and pool were beautiful and a lovely place to relax and enjoy the heated pool (although the hot tub water was never any hotter than the pool itself). However, all noises in the courtyard reverberated around the courtyard, and even a normal conversation could be heard in a room on the second floor. At night, music could definitely be heard from Frenchmen Street, which wouldn't have been too bad except that there was one venue right next door to the hotel and the music was quite loud. Add in the music you could hear from further down the street, and you basically ended up with just plain noise. Add in any partiers that decide to use the pool late at night, and...well...you can figure out the rest. Also, although the service staff worked hard, the rooms, in particular the floors and the showers, were not clean. And, there are telephones in the rooms but their telephone system does not work. There is free internet, but if you do try to do much more than check e-mails, you get redirected to the Frenchmen Hotel site. The rooms did not have any chairs in them, so if you wanted to sit in your room, you had to sit on the bed. In all fairness, there isn't really much room in them for a chair, but it would be nice if they could figure something out. When we asked for a late checkout, we were told that for one hour they would charge an additional half-day fee because they had to clean the rooms and more people were coming in. But many days, the service didn't make it to the room until after 3:00 and there was a "vacancy" sign when we were picked up by the shuttle. Surely after a 7 night stay there they could have given us the extra two hours we had hoped for. I understand that it is an old property and some of the problems are due to the age and layout of the buildings, but there are improvements that could be made internally that would make for a more comfortable stay. With the availablity of the pedicabs now, there is really no reason to stay that close to Frenchman Street, and I will definitely not be doing so on my 11th or any other future trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank katamie
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
It is a shame that you had a bad experience. We hope your next trip to the city you find more enjoyable.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

While I have been to NOLA numerous times, this time brought my daughter and wanted her to really experience the French Quarter. The Frenchmen hotel lived up to it's promises in every way. Checked in early and while the room was not ready, no problem, left our bags downstairs and went exploring. Walked to Treme and caught the start of a Second Line.
The rooms are well decorated (gorgeous furniture, none of that cheap Motel 6 plywood stuff), very clean and the bed is like climbing on a cloud. Comfy !
We stayed in Room 205 and while it overlooked the street and yes you heard music late into the night, it was in no way irritating. Can't think of anything better than being lulled to sleep by Jazz notes.
The staff were very cordial and the Continental breakfast each morning a great way to start each day. Located right on Frenchmen and within easy walking distance of the French market, Quarter and the Streetcar stops.
I rarely write hotel reviews but this place deserved a good word. Most definitely will stay there again and also tell people to stay there if they want a great experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank L H
We can't thank you enough for such lovely, kind words. It always mean so much to hear from people who know how to enjoy what this city has to offer and our service. We like yours so much that we posted them to our Facebook account.

We look forward to seeing you again.
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I reserved room 108, for it's quiet location, on January 19th. My husband and I drove from Texas, to check in and be told we had been "upgraded" to room 204, which looked out onto Frenchmen Street and all the bars..... I asked the young man at the desk why my reserved room had been given away and he didn't know. He assured me I was paying the original price for the "upgrade". I was extremely upset and he seemed very unconcerned.
We could hardly sleep, 2 nights, it was so loud.
On the day of check out, I was given a receipt that was $100 more than expected, from the same young man. When questioned, he quoted me prices very different from the original quote which I had in email. He then told me a refund would have to be issued but it would take up to 5 days.
On top of all this, we needed $20 cash to pay for parking behind the hotel. When I asked the young man to charge the $20 to my account and give me the cash, he stated his manager wouldn't let him do that anymore. I asked where the nearest ATM was and he directed me across the street to the bar, at 8:30am on a Sunday. Needless to say, the bar was closed with said ATM stashed inside. We then had to walk several blocks to find an ATM. You would think he would be aware that the bar was closed lending no access to the ATM.
The ordeal with the Frenchmen Hotel was a nasty start to our 3 day weekend in New Orleans. I will not stay there again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Definitely not #204. Horribly loud.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank robsdoerr
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We do appreciate the time you took to let us know about your experience. I believe that I spoke to you this morning. I have spoken to the Front Desk Manager about this situation. After reviewing the history attached to your reservation we found that the agent who took the original reservation back in January made no notice of your request for a specific room. You were correct though that the rates have moved with the room. I must say I'm surprised that you found Check Point Charlie's closed (I didn't know they had locks on their doors). During the course of slower weekend you would, of course, have been immediately been provided quieter accommodations. We are sorry that you've decided not to give the hotel another chance but grateful to you for pointing out for us where we can make improvements. Maybe you could give us some time to make those improvement then give us call so that we can give you the experience you were looking for this weekend.
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Thanks to Kenesha and Alba, making me feel at home after a perfect 10 day stay. Saw and heard Warren Battiste, Charmaine Neville, Delfeayo Marseilles, Davel Crawford, & Spencer Bohren. Snug Harbor! The Old Mint, Congo Square, French Market! Music/food festivals. Absolutely the best location in New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tom49423
Well Tom,

Nice of you mention Kenesha and Alba. They're to of our favorite women also. It is really such a good feeling when we read reviews like yours. Thanks for the comment.
Sidney, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a great place to stay if you want to be close to the jazz scene...close enough that you can still hear it when you go to sleep for the night. This is not a place to stay if you are a person who needs total quiet for some shut eye or if you need a lot of space.

However, it was clean, super-convenient, and well-managed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie V
ChucLav, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
It's so nice of you to take the time to comment. We do appreciate it. The Jazz is the draw and we do have it. It is, as you point, though, ubiquitous. We do have rooms at the back of the property that are insulated by the surrounding buildings and the sound of running water. We hope to see you again soon.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I were in town for a convention at the end of the week, but came for the whole week. We are over 40 and didn't want to stay on Bourbon Street. The Frenchmen is right on Frenchmen Street which had tons of live music, jazz and blues, all evening and night, 7 days a week! Most places had no cover charges, too! The restaurants were great and not crowded. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room (we upgraded to a suite) was huge! It was bigger than the apartment I lived in for 10 years. The back deck is great for sunning and is steps away from a great restaurant with live music (Mojitos). Wouldn't recommend staying anywhere else. The Frenchmen is the bomb!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite. It's worth it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank handersonesq
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We really do love hearing such nice things being said about our establishment and staff. We do hope that we will be seeing you again soon.