“Charming New Orleans style with comfort.”

The Frenchmen Hotel
Ranked #46 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
“Charming New Orleans style with comfort.”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We wanted to visit New Orleans during our family road trip. When we arrived in the city our tedious search for a reasonable and clean hotel began. Since we were traveling with 3 young children many of the major hotel chains wanted to charge us for a suite averaging $180 or higher. If we found a hotel with decent reviews that was affordable, they were booked.
The Frenchmen cost us $120 for the night and they did not care about us having 3 children. Another bonus was the parking which was included in the above price. Our car was secure and unlike the others was the cheapest price quoted to us.
Our children were excitted, as was I. The room was colorful, clean, nicely furnished and spacious for us all. The full sized beds were smaller then we were used to BUT they were the most comfortable we have stayed in yet.
The best part must have been the pool and hot tub. Since we arrived late, lost an hour do to time change and it took us an hour to find a place, I had lost hope in us doing anything fun that evening. However, we had a night swim in the cozy pool that was open till 11 pm while enjoying the jazz music from the neighboring bars. Our children had a blast.
I was actually sad to go and after visiting 4 hotels on our trip through 9 states the Frenchmen was my favorite. I would love to come back and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. It made our New Orleans trip memorable!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank DSBJD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My disabled mother accompanied me on a business trip and the staff was amazing to both of us. When we arrived a handicapped parking space was there for us. Everytime I left in my car for the day, the hotel staff saved the spot. The ladies at the desk and the housekeeping staff were friendly and incredible. Great night life just around the corner. Charming rooms and very clean. I would not stay anywhere else in NOLO.

Room Tip: The place can be noisy just because it's right in the middle of a great NOLO neighborhood, but y...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank behindeverycloud
Tampa
Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you are a Marriott / Hilton snob, this is not the place for you. But, if you are wanting the nawlins' experience at its finest, they you are in for a treat. Frenchmen Street is home to the blues. We were able to walk a block from our hotel and sit and enjoy adult beverages and live music every night we were in NO, six in all. Jackson Square is a mere six blocks away, and if you are at all familiar with the French Quarter, a block is only 1/10th of a mile, so the entire quarter is within easy striking distance, including affordable restaurants and bars.

We had the teeny tiny room located right off the main courtyard and found it quite charming. Let's face it, if you plan on staying in your room, why go to New Orleans in the first place. We too had partiers but we handled it in a calm manner - we went outside and joined them for a few minutes and chatted and consumed an adult beverage with them. When we parted, telling them we were heading to bed, they quieted down and we slept like babies.

Our room was clean. The wet wash cloth on the tile floor test yielded a clean washcloth. Bed linen was crisp and fresh smelling. Housekeeping staff was very accommodating, so much so, we came back from a day in the quarter to find clean towels hanging on the door, the staff having honored our do not disturb.

I will tell you the only serious shortcoming we noted - there is no elevator, so if you are not in good shape you will not like dealing with luggage. Unfortunately the hotel does not employ a bellperson.

Oh, I forgot - you are only two blocks to the end stop of the riverfront trolley, which will take you all the way to Riverfront and the Harrah's Casino on Canal Street - $3 per day.

Will definitely put The Frenchmen on my short list for my next trip to Nawlins.

Room Tip: No elevator so insist on ground floor if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank FlaStateFan
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here. You can not beat the value nor the location. We love the personality of the place. It is clean, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We have driven both times, so the secure parking is a plus. If you love the blues, Frenchmen street is the place to be. Everything is right up the street. Also, the French Quarter is walkable from here, and a street car stop is within an easy stroll.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TR667
Water Island, Virgin Islands
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Our teeny tiny room was located right off the main courtyard, and we didn't get a moments sleep. Other hotel guests congregated right outside our door all night long, and we were kept awake by loud partiers on their way in and out of the hotel.The hotel is well situated, but in addition to the in house noise, the place across the street blared music to all hours. We were in NO for the Jazz Festival, so we are not anti revelry, but the constant barrage was too much for us. I pride myself on being an adventurous traveler, but we ended up moving after 2 nights to the Sheraton on Canal Street, and despite not being refunded our last 2 nights, we were thrilled. The room was large and QUIET. Next time I will know better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not off the main courtyard on the ground floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Becasue I an a NOLA snob I don't skimp on hotels. I want to enjoy a nice clean hotel. I am a photographer and the PPA convention was being held in NOLA this year. At first I booked a five star hotel. The girls looked around and found this hotel which one had stayed before, but I was a little nervous. What a great place! Okay so the sofa sleeper (we rented the big suit) was god awful, but because everything else was fab...we didnt care. Great pool..great hot tub (a little small but okay) great location, and GREAT STAFF! They did everything to help us. In cluding the frontdesk person leaving the desk to watch our bags on the curb while we settled into our room one by one. Honestly....I don't want to be anywhere else. I will stay here again and again and again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lisa J
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is where my husband and I stayed for a week on our honeymoon. We got married at the Algiers Courthouse across the river. It was such a wonderful experience. We are huge coffee freaks. We love going to the coffee houses and just lounging about. We were on a small budget and I wouldn't change a thing. The rooms are small but, very comfortable. It was very New Orleans "Old". Very cute. Just an example of how old this place is.. We tried to park our truck in the parking area right under the hotel.. We ended up scratching the hell out of the side of the truck because it wouldn't fit into the old carriage way. Our truck is nearly 30 years old so.. as long as it still ran, we were just fine. We pointed towards the parking area of their sister hotel. All was right with the world and we loved it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple