“Honeymoon on a budget”

The Frenchmen Hotel
Ranked #44 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is where my husband and I stayed for a week on our honeymoon. We got married at the Algiers Courthouse across the river. It was such a wonderful experience. We are huge coffee freaks. We love going to the coffee houses and just lounging about. We were on a small budget and I wouldn't change a thing. The rooms are small but, very comfortable. It was very New Orleans "Old". Very cute. Just an example of how old this place is.. We tried to park our truck in the parking area right under the hotel.. We ended up scratching the hell out of the side of the truck because it wouldn't fit into the old carriage way. Our truck is nearly 30 years old so.. as long as it still ran, we were just fine. We pointed towards the parking area of their sister hotel. All was right with the world and we loved it.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 12, 2012

As previous reviews have stated, it is indeed quaint and charming and very well kept. I did not expect a large room but it was fine even if I did spend more time in it then the average visitor because of the weather. Yes, I heard music from the clubs on the street but it was not so loud as to stop me from falling asleep. Yes, some of the guests were loud at 4AM which did wake me up but only for a few minutes. For a hotel just on the other side of the French Quarter this place is a gem. I can't say enough about the people on the front desk. They were all friendly and seemed to have pride in their jobs The housekeeping staff always had my room ready no mater what time I returned to it. The only semi-negative thing is that the area is a little funky and aimed at a younger crowd however, this 65 year old had a great time and would certainly stay here again..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank FrugalTraveler50
Reviewed May 31, 2012

After a very confusing and sad experience at the B&B we had booked in, we needed a different place to stay -- and right quick. Even though when I called the front desk Khanesha was busy assisting customers checking out, I briefly explained our situation and she told us to come right over -- they will find us a room, if not there, then somewhere!

Well, we ended up staying at the Frenchmen and Khanesha was so understanding and it was such a relief to have a friendly experience after our previous nightmare night at the B&B. We stayed in a queen room overlooking the pool, it was quiet and comfortable. These are not luxury rooms, but they are comfortable, clean, exceptionally priced and in the absolute perfect location -- bordering the Marigny and the quarter. There is a security code to get in, and always someone at the front desk so we felt safe.

When we checked out we had Khanesha again and she was again super friendly and helpful, again apologizing for something that wasn't even her fault at the B&B down the street! She told us she hoped it didn't reflect poorly on the city. We love New Orleans and plan to come back again and again - and will definitely stay at the Frenchmen when we do!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MissMag00
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My family (with a 6 and 10 yo) stayed in this hotel a number of years ago (not 2011 - tripadvisor wouldn't let me enter earlier). It was so memorable that I'm taking the time to review it now.

When we travel, we always look for small, one owner places that have an authentic regional feel. We're willing to give up other amenities for this. My kids, especially my daughter (a life long Martha Stewart fan), loved the quaintness and relaxed elegance of this place, and didn't even care that the pool wasn't available (it was unheated then; you'll want to ask in advance) in November. The staff was friendly and the rooms were comfortable, the way visiting a favorite relative is comfortable - just shabby enough to feel homey.

The downside was the ancient parking garage, which required more strategy than I possess to park in. Some of you will love it, but for the claustrophobic non-professional driver, it's a challenging experience. Not for SUV 's. OTOH how many small hotels in NO have their own parking lots? And it was very secure, which counts for a lot in this sity.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank acorniv
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I travelled to New Orleans for work and stayed in a Marriott. Then I transferred to the Frenchman Hotel for 3 personal days and had the experience of NO that I had hoped for. This hotel was perfect. Historic building. Lovely staff. Outside the craziness of the tourist driven Burboun St. Yet minutes walk into the heart of it all. Great jazz and blues clubs on Frenchman. A block away from the tram line to take you to canal street. The room was small but felt like it was right of a novel of the area. Beautiful inner courtyard with pool and hot tub. If you warn the real deal stay here complete with the music of NO in the air around you. If you want to feel like your in any modern American city go somewhere else. Thanks to everyone at the Frenchman. You made my trip!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank David S
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had a great experience here. We arrived a few hours before check-in time, but they allowed us to leave our bags while we walked around the city, and they also put us at the top of the list to have our room cleaned first. We asked for a place to get breakfast, and the recommendation was awesome. There were only four employees watching the front door, so you get to know them pretty quickly. The room itself was a decent size, and we didn't have any issues with changes in water temperature like other reviewers mentioned. The outside music was a little loud, but I slept fine after long days of non-stop walking! I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jenjenjenio
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Yes the room was very small, yes you cannot open the window - only the door if you want fresh air, yes there was a crack in the shower tray, but ! The staff was very nice, the room was very clean, it's charming and so well located ! We will go back !

Room Tip: For $70 more there are 2 large rooms with a balcony, if you don't mind the party in the street...