“Our new place to stay while in New Orleans!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chimes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Bedford, Texas
“Our new place to stay while in New Orleans!”
Reviewed February 18, 2011

As described by others, clean quiet, convenient B&B. I didn't meet Charles, but Jill is a wonderful host. Fresh fruit, cheese & breads make for a nice breakfast. Newspapers and maps available for use and they sell the $12 3 day streetcar passes. We were there for Valentine's Day and my husband had arranged for a bottle of champagne and fresh flowers to be in the room upon our arrival. The flowers from a local florist were beautiful and Jill selected a very tasty champagne. We stayed in the Carriage Room (#1)....very comfortable.
Highly recommend The Chimes.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jlewley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed February 10, 2011

When looking for a place to stay in New Orleans, I drove my wife crazy as I went from travel site to travel site looking for a great place to stay at a reasonable price during our five night visit to the Big Easy in January, 2011 to see our son's newly adopted city.

I went up and down the scale as we refined the search. The criteria established by my wife became $150.00 a night, away from the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter and close to the quieter neighborhoods like Uptown or the Garden District. We decided to go the bed and breakfast route. As I looked, one name kept rising to the top, The Chimes Bed and Breakfast in Uptown.

This jewel of a bed and breakfast only has five accommodations. And that is the beauty of it. As I got out of my car, I looked around at the nice, quiet neighborhood. I looked up. The front of this charming, three story home was exactly as I had pictured it. The stacked front porches were adorned with chimes that gently sounded in the wind as if to say "Welcome Home". A gate to the left lead into one of two tropical courtyards, behind the house and surrounded by rooms. I couldn't believe it! It looked better than the pictures and videos so graciously provided by Jill and Charles Abbyad, the owners of the Chimes and the cream of New Orleans' innkeepers.

When we were greeted at the front door by Jill, I knew we had made the right decision. She warmly welcomed us into the dining room and immediately became our friend, making sure we felt at home and that we could call on her for assistance, directions, restaurant recommendations and other details about HER New Orleans.

Walking alongside her house, I looked ahead to Room 1, a two story beauty that was originally a carriage house. We turned the corner to our right and there they were- rooms two and three straight ahead off of a covered porch with rockers and four and five to our right. I had seen them online, I had toured them online and now I was there. Room two was our choice, our home away from home. As I walked into the room, my eye for detail took it all in. The canopy bed, the antiques, the 1870's fireplace, the day bed, the fine linens, the cleanliness. As we turned to our left, there was the rest of the room just as I had pictured it- the hall with an armoire and table and straight ahead, the huge bath, complete with large closet, commode, tall vanity with bath amenities and a large corner shower.

My senses were on overload as I looked at it all. Our Room! Room Two! Wow, had I made the right choice. My son appeared from the courtyard and met Jill. She invited him and his new guy to breakfast the next day. Before we were setlled in, we were gone on a whirlwind first day tour of Uptown. The next morning, we experienced Jill and her husband Charles when they were at their best, over a dining room table laid out with a sumptuous morning feast of granola over yogurt and fresh fruit, accompanied by juices, coffee, toast, cheeses, French bread, sweet rolls and conversation. That was the best of all. We knew we would start each day with new friends talking about what they did last night as Charles and Jill prepared us for each new day in NOLA! And that we would end each day back at the Chimes.

We could not have picked a better bed and breakfast. Oh, I drove by the rest. Each one was wanting. Too stodgy, not a good neighborhood, no parking. It just confirmed our decision. At Chimes, we paid a great price including tax and free parking for an L-shaped suite in a beautiful building, in a quiet neighborhood, conveniently located close to the shopping on Magazine Street and a short walk away from the St. Charles street car to the French Quarter.

As I told Jill when we left, the Chimes Bed and Breakfast is now our home away from home when we visit New Orleans. Make it yours!

5 Thank KenAlderson
Portland, Maine
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We were delighted with the quality of the room - comfortable bed, lots of natural light, clean bathroom, fresh towels, flowers, and a carafe of water. Jill is a terrific hostess, greeting us every morning at breakfast, and available to answer our questions about the city and to give us advice on restaurants and getting around. The 3-day streetcar pass was all we needed - so glad we didn't rent a car. We toured the zoo, botanical and sculpture gardens, museum of art, the Jean Lafitte park headquarters which has a good display on NOLA history, and the Old New Orleans Rum Distillery. Of course - the French Quarter, the French Market, and the riverfront walk, and the mansion-lined streets of the Garden District. At night we would return to our cozy room at the Chimes and sleep soundly on the brass bed under the fluffy comforter. Blissful. The Chimes is located in an attractive, safe neighborhood close to both the bus and streetcar, and within walking distance to restaurants, shops, pharmacy and bank. Roses in the garden and an owl hooting in the early morning. Charming!

2 Thank 04103Michelle
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Perfect location for us- took St Charles streetcar for all of our sight seeing and night life- from Canal to Oak St. Took advantage of all Magazine St has to offer on foot. Charming room with light-filled bath and comfy bed. Room opened up onto lovely courtyard. We'll be back!

1 Thank MississippiMama17
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed December 24, 2010

We had such a lovely time at The Chimes. The hosts are so friendly and gracious that you feel like you've known them forever. They are incredibly knowledgeable about the dining scene in New Orleans which is great for their visitors. They can make great suggestions and cheerfully make reservations for you. Our room was quite comfortable and looked onto a small courtyard. The location of the The Chimes is fantastic only three blocks from Magazine Street - a great shopping and dining street. The breakfast was just perfect, juice, teas, coffee, fresh French pastries, cheeses, breads. The meal is served family style at a long dining table where guests and the hosts and neighbors who happen to drop by mingle companionably. All in all, it was a wonderful experience for us, and we look forward to staying with Jill and Charles again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vikkandwill
Minneapolis
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Stayed at the Chimes with my partner over Thanksgiving and was completely charmed by this lovely home and by gracious hosts Jill and Charles. I grew up in New Orleans and the house itself is a perfect example of old N.O. uptown style -- soaring floor-to-ceiling windows, high ceilings, adorable brick patio. Our room was quiet and comfortable, and we spent one warm peaceful evening with a glass of wine on the little swing on the patio, listening to the crickets.

Jill and Charles were excellent hosts, serving a breakfast that was filling and tasty but not overly heavy, with strong local coffee and chicory! On discovering that I'm a native of the city Jill even pulled out digital images she'd gotten recently of surveyors' drawings from the 19th century and gave us copies, some of which I will print and have framed for my relatives.

The location is terrific, by the way -- a quiet, safe neighborhood which is good for walking and quite close to the restaurants and shops of Magazine St. We'll be back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jdwalker
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed November 19, 2010

I stayed at the Chimes with four colleagues. Our work schedule called for early morning wake-ups and late night work sessions. Jill arranged for breakfast when we needed it and for use of the dining room as a work space at night. She could not have been more accommodating. Her restaurant recommendations were accurate and nearby; the local food was reasonably priced and delicious. I read somewhere that the rooms were noisy. That was NOT my experience. I slept quite comfortably with the window open and did not notice noise from other rooms or from the outside. The breakfasts were extraordinary and Jill and Charles are very charming hosts. I cannot imagine how our experience could have been improved. There are many places I can stay in New Orleans, but there is only one place I will stay: the Chimes. Jill, I cannot wait until the next time business brings me to NO. Thank you for everything. Ralph

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business