“Disappointed, overpriced, not as presented. Stay elsewhere.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chimes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Disappointed, overpriced, not as presented. Stay elsewhere.”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I agree 100% with recent review from Findelaterra. Huge letdown. Rooms are extremely small, limited access to home. May have been nice at one time, but a tired lackluster feeling is very evident. The owners need to take a long hard look at the image they profess to provide and the actual experience. No comparison. Stay somewhere else. We had a wonderful experience at a B&B in the Marginy area.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here at all. Better options exist.
  • Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Howdy_Doody_Texan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I've been to the New Orleans Jazz Fest seven times and I've stayed all over the city. If you want to get into that relaxed and groovin' New Orleans state of mind, this place is perfect. It's in the Garden District, within walking distance of Magazine Street and some of the best neighborhood dining. Walk up to St. Charles and take the streetcar into the French Quarter or take a connector to a festival or event. The hosts will sell you transit passes for your convenience. We've stayed here twice and feel like we are adopted family. The hosts are open, friendly, and real. We love the breakfasts with fresh baking procured nearby daily. The carriage house room is incredible but all the rooms are worth staying in. Coffee early in the morning in the lush courtyard is always a highlight. After a long day at fest our out and about sipping a glass of wine in this same courtyard is pretty close to heaven itself.

Room Tip: Rooms exiting to the courtyard are the bomb!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wpgguitarplayer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2011

First the good: the location in the lush uptown district and just off the streetcar route is perfect for taking in the tranquil side of New Orleans. The grounds of the bnb are lush and fragrant and the chimes provide a charming background. The rooms are pretty without being fussy - mine had a four poster.

The not so good: we spotted a couple of "palmetto bugs" - no bid deal I guess but after we killed one right in the room and left for the day it was still there in the middle of the floor when we got back that evening. After that it felt markedly less clean in there.

The bathrooms are ancient (e.g. separate taps for cold and hot water)

The proprietor is friendly but a little scattered. When I told her my friend would arrive before me at 4:30, she promised she would be at the bnb to let her in, but she actually showed up at 5, leaving my friend waiting out on the doorstep with her bags.

The breakfast is good, and I normally enjoy socializing with the other guests in the morning, but there is a sense that the proprietor and a few other guests know each other very well, leading to a kind of forced intimacy and expectations of sharing that are just a hair out of my comfort zone. Breakfast spread itself is better than average.

All in all it was ok, if a little eccentric. Hey, it's New Orleans and things are just different down there. But the pictures and prices suggest a boutique experience, whereas the actual place delivers about half of that value.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Findelaterra
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We loved our stay at Chimes, had such a wonderful time in New Orleans and Jill could not have been more wonderful. All of her recommendations were right on and her home is beautiful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AnnaC700
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I had a great stay at The Chimes for 6 nights. I was in town for 6 nights, 3 for a professional conference, and 3 for pleasure over the weekend. The Chimes is very popular and full during the peak seasons, so book early. The B&B experience is all about the hospitality, conversations with people from all over, and having a human connection, not some sterile hotel room. The carriage house was great because it is probably the largest of the rooms, but if you've got knee problems you may not like the stairs. The room is so unique and very comfortable (no bathtub, but who cares). The free wifi and flat screen TV make it very modern, the furniture and quiet courtyard make it home. There is no reason to stay downtown in the tourist area when you have this option! Jill was a accommodating hostess who always joined in the conversations over breakfast. I would label the breakfasts as "deluxe continental". It's not an elaborate spread, but the baked items are fantastic, as is the cheese and fresh fruit options. It's good if you want to have room for lunch out and dinner. If I'm ever in NOLA again, I'd stay there for sure.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Tokyo Shirokuma
Bedford, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2011

As described by others, clean quiet, convenient B&B. I didn't meet Charles, but Jill is a wonderful host. Fresh fruit, cheese & breads make for a nice breakfast. Newspapers and maps available for use and they sell the $12 3 day streetcar passes. We were there for Valentine's Day and my husband had arranged for a bottle of champagne and fresh flowers to be in the room upon our arrival. The flowers from a local florist were beautiful and Jill selected a very tasty champagne. We stayed in the Carriage Room (#1)....very comfortable.
Highly recommend The Chimes.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jlewley
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed February 10, 2011

When looking for a place to stay in New Orleans, I drove my wife crazy as I went from travel site to travel site looking for a great place to stay at a reasonable price during our five night visit to the Big Easy in January, 2011 to see our son's newly adopted city.

I went up and down the scale as we refined the search. The criteria established by my wife became $150.00 a night, away from the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter and close to the quieter neighborhoods like Uptown or the Garden District. We decided to go the bed and breakfast route. As I looked, one name kept rising to the top, The Chimes Bed and Breakfast in Uptown.

This jewel of a bed and breakfast only has five accommodations. And that is the beauty of it. As I got out of my car, I looked around at the nice, quiet neighborhood. I looked up. The front of this charming, three story home was exactly as I had pictured it. The stacked front porches were adorned with chimes that gently sounded in the wind as if to say "Welcome Home". A gate to the left lead into one of two tropical courtyards, behind the house and surrounded by rooms. I couldn't believe it! It looked better than the pictures and videos so graciously provided by Jill and Charles Abbyad, the owners of the Chimes and the cream of New Orleans' innkeepers.

When we were greeted at the front door by Jill, I knew we had made the right decision. She warmly welcomed us into the dining room and immediately became our friend, making sure we felt at home and that we could call on her for assistance, directions, restaurant recommendations and other details about HER New Orleans.

Walking alongside her house, I looked ahead to Room 1, a two story beauty that was originally a carriage house. We turned the corner to our right and there they were- rooms two and three straight ahead off of a covered porch with rockers and four and five to our right. I had seen them online, I had toured them online and now I was there. Room two was our choice, our home away from home. As I walked into the room, my eye for detail took it all in. The canopy bed, the antiques, the 1870's fireplace, the day bed, the fine linens, the cleanliness. As we turned to our left, there was the rest of the room just as I had pictured it- the hall with an armoire and table and straight ahead, the huge bath, complete with large closet, commode, tall vanity with bath amenities and a large corner shower.

My senses were on overload as I looked at it all. Our Room! Room Two! Wow, had I made the right choice. My son appeared from the courtyard and met Jill. She invited him and his new guy to breakfast the next day. Before we were setlled in, we were gone on a whirlwind first day tour of Uptown. The next morning, we experienced Jill and her husband Charles when they were at their best, over a dining room table laid out with a sumptuous morning feast of granola over yogurt and fresh fruit, accompanied by juices, coffee, toast, cheeses, French bread, sweet rolls and conversation. That was the best of all. We knew we would start each day with new friends talking about what they did last night as Charles and Jill prepared us for each new day in NOLA! And that we would end each day back at the Chimes.

We could not have picked a better bed and breakfast. Oh, I drove by the rest. Each one was wanting. Too stodgy, not a good neighborhood, no parking. It just confirmed our decision. At Chimes, we paid a great price including tax and free parking for an L-shaped suite in a beautiful building, in a quiet neighborhood, conveniently located close to the shopping on Magazine Street and a short walk away from the St. Charles street car to the French Quarter.

As I told Jill when we left, the Chimes Bed and Breakfast is now our home away from home when we visit New Orleans. Make it yours!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple