“Charming, friendly, and elegant. A bathroom refresh would help.”
Review of Soniat House

Soniat House
Ranked #91 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Soniat is perfect in so many ways and staffed by such charming people that it pains me to gripe about anything. However, as it's billed as a luxury hotel and charges accordingly, it seems to me that the bathroom in a two-bedroom suite should at least be fully functional, if not actually luxurious. Ours (we had room 50) had an ancient Jaccuzzi tub/shower combo. The tub had nonfunctional controls and cracked plastic; the shower, which was a handheld showerhead affixed to a wall holder, did not fit in its receptacle and was angled in such a way that it sprayed all over the room. There were no hooks to hang the bathrobes; no towel rods. Another small complaint: The hotel could be a little more gracious with what are often "complimentary" extras elsewhere. The breakfast of biscuits and coffee, for example, should be included in the room price. $12 is a little steep when the same biscuits can be had at Cafe Envie around the corner on Decatur Street for a fraction of the price. Honor bar prices, even for soda, are similarly high. Again, I don't want to seem churlish, especially since I was twice "comped" on a Diet Coke. However, it would have been nice to have such small touches billed as complimentary in the first place. These are little things, I know, but my definition of "luxury" means attention to detail and getting the little things right.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank prettymongoose
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

No hooks? I can't apologize enough. How could we have missed that? It will be rectified immediately. We are in the process of redoing all of the bathrooms. Thanks to your constructive comments we will move that bath to the top of the list.

Give us another try. We will try to do better for you next time. We'll have the diet cokes on ice waiting in your room.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

We've stayed at Soniat House twice now - for my birthday in February, 2014, and in 2012. I'm hoping to make it a yearly experience! This is a beautiful, romantic and historic inn complete with a charming courtyard! The staff are both friendly and accommodating, including the resident cat - Claire! The location is perfect too! Within the French Quarter, you're just a walk away from all the action! In one word, it's PERFECT!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marna G
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Why just your birthday? We would love to see you more often.

Thank you for the charming picture of Claire. She has so many friends I am thinking of getting her a facebook page!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed here for a week through New Years 2014 and the hotel was fabulous. From the moment we arrived we felt as if we were part of a truly unique New Orleans experience.

The initial room we were given was on the third floor "attic room" and while it was large in size we had an issue when it rained that night. We woke up to some water leaking through the skylight and onto the bed which was pretty startling for a "haunted" city such as New Orleans.

When I spoke to the hotel management on this they were all extremely helpful and quick in moving us to a smaller but more decorative room on the second floor. They even included breakfast for the duration of our stay for the inconvenience it caused which was a nice touch.

The breakfast on a daily basis was very good and efficient, chicory coffee and the warm biscuits were amazing and served with a hot stone to keep them that way. Excellent service! We also like the grown-up honor bar and the comfortable, cozy atmosphere.

Overall this hotel lived up to our expectations - the architecture, the period-appropriate decoration and attention to details was exactly what we were looking for, if you want an upscale place to beat the madness of Bourbon Street but still get that unique New Orleans feel Soniat House is the place for you!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marena23
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

So kind of you to write such a nice review. Thank you.

It is indeed difficult to maintain these slate roofs. Occasionally a single slate can slip out of place. Unfortunately it happened to you. Please accept our apology again. Were are glad to hear that you were please with the balance of your stay.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed here for four nights 25 - 28 January. This hotel is different, it's housed in a old house, on the edge of the French Quarter. Check in was pleasant and easy. My room was on the ground floor overlooking the courtyard. The room was furnished with old, mismatched (antique?) furniture, apart from a small flat screen tv. Once again, only one easy chair in a double room. The bathroom was small but had plenty of mirrors and space for toiletries, although I guess two people may struggle. The hot water tap turned to the left rather than the right, and the hot water took a long while to come through. Plenty of Molton Brown toiletries and Frette towels. There is a lounge with an honour bar.

Breakfast consists of orange juice, coffee and biscuits with jam. The orange juice appeared to be freshly squeezed, the coffee was very strong and the biscuits hot. They're effectively scones and jam. It takes about half an hour to arrive because the biscuits are cooked freshly to order. It is served either in the room or the courtyard.

I was stranded for an extra night due to Winter Storm Leon, and the staff were very accommodating. Much of New Orleans appeared to close down, although the French Quarter seemed unaffected by the ice and snow. I was called by reception to say that the kitchen had sandwiches if I needed some, free of charge. On my last evening Bill, one of the receptionists was in the lounge and he is a mine of information about both the hotel and New Orleans. Check out was efficient and fast.

When I looked on Google Street View, the hotel appeared to be in a rough looking street, but I always felt safe walking around. The staff in the hotel are all very polite. I guess the word I would use, is, courtly. I'd stay here again. I'm currently waiting for my shuttle to the airport and posting this using their wifi.

Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank mktraveller
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your extended stay with us. It was our pleasure to serve you.
Your did an excellent of telling the readers of your review to ignore the Google map. I can't wait to check it our myself. As you now know we are in the very "high end" residential part of the French Quarter where homes sell between 2 and 5 million dollars! Our commercial neighbors are two museums and a Church.
You gave a very complimentary description of your Superior room. As it states on our web site , Superior rooms are recommended for single travelers like you. I'm pleased that you found it adequate. The walls of Soniat House are where they were in 1830. The size range is from 225 sq. feet for a Superior to 700 sq. feet for a Grand Suite with many intervals sizes for Premier, Junior Suites and Full Suites.. You are very far away but please do come back again.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

This is the Bed and Breakfast to stay in New Olreans. Outstanding service, classical Southern charm. This is small hotel which only serve breakfast (which they serve the best biscuits I have had. The managers are just also the best, we stayed there on the resent storm and had to stay an extra night, they took care of us completely.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jose M

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate you generous comments. We are sorry for you that the recent freeze caused you to delay your departure but we enjoyed having a couple of extra days to spoil you.

Come back soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I have stayed at Soniat House since the mid 1990's and each trip is more special. I purposely ask for a different room each time to experience this historical property to hopefully learn it's whole story.

The staff could not be more warm with its sincere hospitality. Thank you Edina, Michele and especially Irvin who helped me when I lost my wallet in the French Quarter. He helped get the wallet back with its entire contents in tact! A magician!

Calvin and Jamal are always looking after me too - quietly nearby - the most southern gentleman on the planet. The breakfasts of delicious biscuits, coffee and fresh squeezed juice they bring to me will be missed!

The owners have beautiful taste to say the least and clearly care for this very special property with their hearts and souls. It's a spiritual place of renewal for me and I thank them for this gift.

The only suggestion I have is that the owners think about building a new website to share the visual beauty and mystery that the Soniat House holds. I have no understanding how busy it must be running a hotel. I know building websites can be pretty easy these days- having built my own. There are excellent photographs already on the current site and with some creativity, the hotel could be better shared around the world for what it is and not remain a best kept secret. Hope you don't mind my thoughts.

Warmly, Kate Novak

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cobramom415
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fabulous review.

The new website is 99% finished. It should be active in February.

I'll let you know when that happens and would love feedback from you.. It is not easy to create a website for a property like Soniat House.

We'll have tea next visit. I promise.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The Soniat is one of those charismatic small hotels that those of us who are bored with the way bland cookie-cutter chains blur their surrounds can only hope to find. My first trip to mystical New Orleans, and it was between the Ritz and the Soniat, and I really made the right choice. At the Soniat, I KNEW I was in the old New Orleans. From the private key with which I let myself in the big front door (as though it were mine) to the way it opened onto a corridor designed for a horse and carriage, from the handsome little sitting room which served as a lobby to the private open courtyard onto which many of the old antique-filled rooms opened, from the graciousness of the service to the remarkable biscuits served for breakfast (baked fresh for each guest), and also, even especially, for its sense of privacy and discretion-- I love this hotel.

Room Tip: I had a balcony room on the street. I could hear the carriages go by and an occasional car, but not...