“My favorite place of renewal”
Review of Soniat House

Soniat House
Ranked #94 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Mill Valley, California
“My favorite place of renewal”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I have stayed at Soniat House since the mid 1990's and each trip is more special. I purposely ask for a different room each time to experience this historical property to hopefully learn it's whole story.

The staff could not be more warm with its sincere hospitality. Thank you Edina, Michele and especially Irvin who helped me when I lost my wallet in the French Quarter. He helped get the wallet back with its entire contents in tact! A magician!

Calvin and Jamal are always looking after me too - quietly nearby - the most southern gentleman on the planet. The breakfasts of delicious biscuits, coffee and fresh squeezed juice they bring to me will be missed!

The owners have beautiful taste to say the least and clearly care for this very special property with their hearts and souls. It's a spiritual place of renewal for me and I thank them for this gift.

The only suggestion I have is that the owners think about building a new website to share the visual beauty and mystery that the Soniat House holds. I have no understanding how busy it must be running a hotel. I know building websites can be pretty easy these days- having built my own. There are excellent photographs already on the current site and with some creativity, the hotel could be better shared around the world for what it is and not remain a best kept secret. Hope you don't mind my thoughts.

Warmly, Kate Novak

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cobramom415
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fabulous review.

The new website is 99% finished. It should be active in February.

I'll let you know when that happens and would love feedback from you.. It is not easy to create a website for a property like Soniat House.

We'll have tea next visit. I promise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The Soniat is one of those charismatic small hotels that those of us who are bored with the way bland cookie-cutter chains blur their surrounds can only hope to find. My first trip to mystical New Orleans, and it was between the Ritz and the Soniat, and I really made the right choice. At the Soniat, I KNEW I was in the old New Orleans. From the private key with which I let myself in the big front door (as though it were mine) to the way it opened onto a corridor designed for a horse and carriage, from the handsome little sitting room which served as a lobby to the private open courtyard onto which many of the old antique-filled rooms opened, from the graciousness of the service to the remarkable biscuits served for breakfast (baked fresh for each guest), and also, even especially, for its sense of privacy and discretion-- I love this hotel.

Room Tip: I had a balcony room on the street. I could hear the carriages go by and an occasional car, but not...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank t e
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review.

Come back any time. You will find that the light traffic on Chartres Street never gets any heavier
as Chartres is closed to through traffic at Jackson Square.
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Being our first time to NOLA, we feel very thankful to have selected The Soniat House. The location was perfect...Chartres street was by far my favorite street, and it was quiet, yet short, easy walks into all the action. We walked everywhere and never took the car out of wherever they parked it until we left. There is no on-site restaurant or "typical" hotel feel (so many amazing places to eat in the FQ, you won't miss it), but the experience felt very French Quarter. There are little secret garden type courtyards, and the rooms while slightly worn, were very nice. We had a suite, and LOVED it. If you're wanting the Marriott or W experience, don't stay here, but if you want something charming, with a perfect location and French quarter experience, this is the place for you! Visit the monastery next door! Also, the bisquits and coffee are delicious, but again, so many places to eat there, we only did that one morning and then continued to eat our way through NOLA. Close to Jackson Square, Cafe Du Monde, even Frenchmans street for the REAL jazz clubs and only a few streets over from Bourbon street (not our thing). Staff helped with anything we needed efficiently. One thing we learned...we were there for all the Christmas festivities, and arrived Dec. 12th and Soniat House (and some of NOLA) weren't decorated for Christmas yet...they said it was customary to decorate later, (around 15th/16th) which was disappointing and we were there to experience Christmas there having had our New York City trip cancelled by icemageddon in Dallas.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Treva2014
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
We are certainly glad that you found us. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review.
We are sorry that you arrived before the Soniat House was decorated for Christmas but as we usually have warm weather in December and since we only decorate with living greens we tend to put them up a bit late so that they will stay green until Christmas, Of course with the weather the way it has been this year they were still green when taken down on Kings Day to make way for the Mardi Gras decorations!
It sounds as if you didn't venture beyond the French Quarter and the Marigny Triangle this visit so you must come back. There is a lot more beautiful architecture, great food and fabulous music that you should experience.
brazil
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is a real gem of a hotel. The location is fabulous and the service is spectacular. The reception staff is very responsive , always ready to help with restaurant reservations , recommendations and general information about New Orleans.

The decor of the Soniat is old world luxe. Beautiful light fixtures , rugs and artwork. The paintings are absolutely gorgeous. This hotel has character. It isn't about a sleek veneer or wow factor. It reflects New Orleans of days gone .

The showers have great water pressure , the feather pillows and Frette linens make for great sleep and the Molton Brown toiletries are yummy.

The breakfast with biscuits is quite good ( we had them on day one) but as we stayed for 6 days we opted to eat at a nearby French café. More variety and lower price.

All in all , we really enjoyed our stay at the Soniat and would love to return.

Room Tip: Room 31 has a nice large bathroom and a lovely four poster bed. There is some noise from the kitchen...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brazilgirl
Stroud
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our 6 nights at Soniat. Would have happily stayed longer.
Had room 27 which is large and airy on the first floor looking over the courtyard. Some elements of the bathroom a bit tacky--handle came off toilet but we stuck it back on. Loved the art and the furnishings and the lush courtyard.
Really enjoyed the courteous service and was more than happy to exchange mod-cons for the historic ambiance.
Brits may be confused by the biscuits for breakfast--these are scones and once was enough--more like a cream tea. We went to the organic stand at the French Market for great pancakes and porridge most mornings.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My first impression of this hotel property is that it is similar to a Secret Garden. Once you find your way into the property, you are surrounded by beautiful trees and flowers. The staff is extremely friendly, and attentive. The owners of the hotel are incredibly sweet, and full of stories to tell about New Orleans and their travels. I was able to visit two of the rooms, which were both very charming and one with a private balcony overlooking Chartres St. The Soniat House is also in a great location, for those who want to be within walking distance of the French Quarter / Riverwalk but don't want to deal with the noise of Bourbon Street. Overall, this is a very stunning property, unlike anything I've ever seen. This is why they have been featured in the 1000 places to visit before you die. Also, The biscuits are as good as everyone writes about! :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Amazingly our " secret gardens" have for the most part survived the freezing temperatures of the last few nights. The banana trees didn't make it but they will grow back before anyone notices.

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. We truly appreciate it. I personally love being called "sweet.' That doesn't happen too often.
New York City
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The hotel is in two venerable French Quarter homes facing each each other across a very quiet, peaceful stretch of Chartres Street. (My key was supposed to open the street doors to both, but only worked for one). Beautiful, big bedroom (no. 39), well appointed and with excellent lighting, plugs, climate control, and a comfortable bed (though you can't see any sky out the window). The salon is only charming if you enjoy b&b-style chit-chat with fellow guests (not my choice of activity). Delicious room-service continental breakfast of biscuits and butter, orange juice, and coffee. Had to ask twice for additional hangers; late at night, had to fend off a cat who was determined to accompany us into the bedroom. Our daughters in another room (26) were without hot water for a while. Never could get the elevator to work. These minor irritants keep me from giving the charming Soniat a tip-top review, but I would definitely stay there on future visits to New Orleans.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hentyfan
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
You are wonderful to be so forgiving...a cat who was a nuisance, a difficult elevator and your children without hot water .....and you still rates us "just short of superb". We would certainly love to have you visit again. As to the key situation, each building does have its own individual key. When you come back why not try a suite in the other building. Claire the cat does not cross the street , there is no elevator and the hot water heaters are larger. I think you would find it truly "superb."