All reviewshonor barchartres streetfrette linensbreakfast biscuitswarm biscuitsmolton brown toiletriesjunior suitesitting roomfrench quartersmall hotelsantique furnishingsold world charmboutique hotelsouthern hospitalityfirst floorsmall bathroomroom number
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I was expecting a luxury property as their ads publicize & was excited to find a 50% summer price reduction rate. We booked a standard one bedroom and even at about $140, I was disappointed. The larger suites were a different matter. Those rooms are much larger , furnished with antiques & next to the outdoor balconies that overlook Chartes St . & the Ursuline Convent. Possibly those rooms deserve the luxury designation not the"servants quarters" that are the standard rooms. Our tiny room did have a quaint French style I remember from my European backpacking days with a faux fireplace, decent closet with bathrobes & old flowered wallpaper in the dingy bathroom. There was a very small table but the lamp took up most of the space on it. The outlets on the wall with the tiny TV did not work . Luckily, the very nice porter did find us an extension cord. Wireless internet access did not work at all either in the room or downstairs in the living room-lobby. Luckily,the wired computer in the lobby was available for use. The a/c also did not get the room very cool. Although not eco-conscious, the shower was the best thing about the room. Full volume blasts of water were a great massage & the French Annick Goutal toiletries had a nice lemon scent. Towels were fluffy & replaced twice per day which was a good thing because there is only one small towel rack & nowhere to hang a wet towel. There was also no coffee maker or ice bucket. All the rooms surround a small courtyard with nice but unspectacular greenery. The location was convenient and quiet and the valet parking area was secure. Overall it was an OK experience but not close to luxury.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2008

Good : The Soniat House is a nice example of historic New Orleans architecture. The doormen and waiters are extremely friendly. The hotel is conveniently located in the French Quarter.

Bad : The rooms are a bit dingy. They could use an interior decorator and a paint job. The AC unit in our room was very loud during our stay (but essential in the New Orleans heat). The breakfast (two biscuits,coffee, and OJ) is a joke at almost $13 per person, and at these rates, it should ABSOLUTELY be included in the price of the room. The $15 surcharge for a bucket of ice is even more ridiculous. I walked around the corner and bought bags of ice from a local grocer during my stay. Sometimes the doorman was hard to locate when I wanted to either park my car or get it out of the garage. There are no in room safes. The closets in my room both times I have stayed here were small. The cortyard is ok, but I have seen much nicer (and better kept) at other places I have stayed in New Orleans.

All in all, you will get much more bang for your buck at other hotels in the French Quarter (Monteleone, Royal Sonesta, and a myriad of other places.). The bottom line is that the Soniat House would be a decent place to stay at much reduced rates. I would look elsewhere for accomodations in New Orleans.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AKBGa
Reviewed May 7, 2008

Extremely disappointed. I booked the Soniat House in Novemeber for the Jazz fest in May and was guaranteed a King bed Junior Suite room so that is why I upgraded to the outrageous $425 a night before taxes. We were put in a subpar room which was very small with a queen bed and a very tiny bathroom. I went to the owner and asked for my rate to be reduced to reflect their middle range rooms since they did not deliver. She was rude stating "the rate is the rate and we have bills to pay." After the dispute, the other manager stated that we will provide breakfast every day. Breakfast is coffee, juice, and 4 biscuits which when we received the final bill they charged us anyway and had to have it removed. The breakfast was never served on time always either too late and one time an hour early waking us up. There is no in room coffee, no in room safe, no in room bottled water, costs $15 for ice, ice bucket and glasses (unbelievable that this is not included). Only 2 towels are in the room at a time. They have turn down service at night, and I requested that my towels be replaced nightly as well as anyone who has been to the Jazz fest knows it is a 2 shower a day event. I had to go get them every night because they did not honor that request. The shampoo and soap were only replaced 1 time in 5 days. The wallpaper is stained and peeling, and the air condition rattled all night. There was not always an attendant on duty to park the car, but they charge $25 a day to park your car. The Soniat House is not worthy of a small luxury inn designation. We go to Jazz Fest every year with friends and family and obviously will be staying elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2008
7  Thank AlbanyGAClay
SoniatHouseManager, General Manager at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2008

At the Soniat House, we take pride in our ability to satisfy guest requests whenever possible.

We offer a variety of room sizes and bed types, and feel that the charm of the hotel is reflected in it's old world, elegant New Orleans style. Each room is exquisitely furnished and individually decorated with authentic antiques and beautiful taste. As our many repeat guests agree, our rates justify the experience of a stay at the Soniat House.

Errors were made in the breakfast service, and we sincerely regret the inconveniences. The breakfast charges were an oversight which was promptly handled. Although no coffee maker is available in our rooms, we would cordially and promptly provide coffee service to guests whenever requested. The particular room where this guest stayed does feature an in room safe. Additionally, there are plenty of safe deposit boxes available on our premises.

We take complaints very seriously and sincerely regret the dissatisfaction experienced by this guest. We strive to provide the best service and accomodations and believe that the hotel is the best New Orleans has to offer.

Reviewed April 17, 2008

I live 2 blocks away from the Soniat House and I have always loved the neighborhood we share and the ambiance of the hotel in general. My parents stayed in a suite the week of my wedding and my bridesmaids and I all got ready at the Soniat House. The staff was absolutely amazing to my parents and to my entire bridal party. The hotel was the perfect setting for such a special day. They were very kind to allow me to take pictures in the courtyard before the ceremony and the pictures are breathtaking. I cannot say enough about what a fabulous experience this was for me and my parents. In my opinion there is no better place to stay in the city if you want to get a true feel of what it is like to live in the French Quarter.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I am saddened by the other family not having a great stay. We brought our two boys 8 and 11, and shared a two bedroom suite. The place was charming, the owner and staff were very helpful and friendly to the children. The place is unique with wonderful tall ceilings and beautifully appointed rooms.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family