All reviewshonor barchartres streetfrette linensbreakfast biscuitswarm biscuitsmolton brown toiletriesjunior suitesitting roomfrench quartersmall hotelsantique furnishingsold world charmboutique hotelsouthern hospitalityfirst floorsmall bathroomroom number
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the Soniat House over Mardi Gras weekend and enjoyed our stay very much. We checked in early on Friday morning around 9:30am and our room was ready, which was great. Check-in was friendly and efficient and the bags were brought to our room right away. They even honored my request to have the exact same room we had during our last stay (Jr. Suite #63 which is across the street from check-in). The room was exactly the same and just perfect. Again, this is a boutique hotel with lots of charm in an old creole mansion so if you're looking for an uber-hip, modern place with a big flat screen HDTV and waterfall rain shower, you will be more comfortable at the W Hotel.

We didn't interact with the staff too much but anyone we ran into (maid service, the porters, etc..) were always quick to smile and say good morning. They do offer a limited breakfast of homemade biscuits, coffee and juice but we always skip it in favor of going to a local coffee house for some cafe au lait and a healthier breakfast option (CC's coffee house and Croissant D'Or are right around the corner). I will say that if we ever come back and stay in one of the Grand Suites with a balcony, I would probably do the coffee and biscuits just to have out there so I can still be in my robe. They will serve you the breakfast in their lovely courtyard too.

We liked the location as it's in the quarter but in a very quiet area by the Ursuline convent. You can walk to Bourbon Street in less than 5 minutes but when you're ready to sleep you won't hear a sound, which is exactly what I want.

I can't recommend this hotel enough if you are looking for a small hotel with lots of authentic southern charm.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BdawgDallas_Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2012

If you appreciate beautiful interiors with gorgeous fabrics and exceptional antiques, the Soniat is your only hotel in New Orleans. It is like stepping into an elegant old French Quarter home. Located in a quiet, beautiful area of the Quarter with gorgeous balconies and courtyards. Nothing cookie-cutter here, it is certainly not for the loud party groups. Once you step behind the spectacular iron gates, you are transported into a New Orleans the public rarely sees, exactly what we wanted for a memorable vacation. The staff was magnificent and the porters are
fabulous!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Homershouse
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Excellent service 24 hours a day. Very nice room although the carpet and bathroom could use refreshing. The inn cat is very friendly and the computer and internet provided for guest use was very handy. We were surprised that breakfast was not included in the room price but we were pleased that it was available.

Reviewed December 25, 2011

My husband and I were recently married in the grand suite (rm 60) and it was absolutely perfect!! The staff was very helpful and the room was simply beautiful. Only regret is that we didn't book the room for an extra night!

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a grand suite! So worth it!
Reviewed December 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed here in early December of 2011. We found the place to be quintessential New Orleans. I see seen reviewers indicating the place is shabby, etc. If you are looking for a crisp, sparkling, "no-flaws" type place...stay at the Ritz Carlton...do not stay here. But if you have been to New Orleans enough to know how the city "feels", and you like that feeling, then this is the place for you. The place is authentic New Orleans and we loved it. Our room ( #20) was small but the view is very nice. The main sitting parlor at the Soniat, next to reception, where one can go for coffee in the morning or for drinks at night is perfectly refined. The staff is very cordial and make you feel as if you are a personal friend. We will be back and we will only stay here. One observation...one I find myself making about hotel rooms all over the world. This room is very dark at night...to the point that it was not possible to read at night. Perhaps a floor lamp or other lighting device in a period piece would overcome the problem. FYI...biscuits in the morning with coffee delivered hot to your room are outstanding and very civilized!

4  Thank Fandangophil