All reviewshonor barchartres streetfrette linensbreakfast biscuitswarm biscuitsmolton brown toiletriesjunior suitesitting roomfrench quarterantique furnishingsboutique hotelsouthern hospitalityfirst floorsmall bathroomroom numberjackson squarehigh ceilings
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My wife and I recently came over on holiday from England to the United States. We visited New York and also New Orleans where we stayed for 4 nights at The Soniat Hotel.

The hotel certainly lived up to our expectations. It has a good location -only approximately 10 minutes walk from Jackson Square. The hotel is very tastefully furnished with art works and antique furniture. Our room, at the back on the 2nd floor and opening onto a lovely courtyard with pond and exotic greenery, was quiet and had a comfortable bed.

We found the staff to be very courteous and helpful.

We will certainly return if we have the opportunity.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adrian_gallagher
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Well we needed a place to stay last minute for French Quarter Fest. Soniat House was the only place available. We arrived there only to have to sit in a waiting area for the manager to check us in. And then, another guest jumped ahead of us. I guess because this guest was attired in a suit coat, and pants. My husband and I where dressed for the Fest. jeans, T-shirts, sunglasses. Anyway, finally was checked in, to a very, small room, old, and adjoining room door had a very large space between our room and the next. Had to put towel in crack so guest in next room couldn't see in. We stayed in this room for three nights at a cost of $278.00 per night. We where scheduled to move to a larger room on the last night. Which we did, to our surprise the room was much larger, but, it had a very weird feeling to it. And a strange order. Which turned out to be mold in the air-conditioning wall unit. My husband took a flash light and looked in the unit. So we where moved. To a very nice Jr. suite. At the same price, of 4350.00 per night. Mind you since we have been home, checked out on 4/11/11, on 4/15/11 I came down with what seems like bronchitis, which I have not been sick with anything for a very long time, and it is now 4/27/11, and I am still trying to get over this mysterious virus! The hallway lighting is dark, latrens need to be cleaned. I know about ,"Old World Charm", but you need to step it up to receive our hard earned money, or a favorable review.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DetroitWingedone
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2011

We are of course very sorry that a former guest has a health problem but we are certain that it is not the result of a short time spent in one of our rooms. The room in question has been occupied since April 11 by four different guests with no complaints. We took advantage of a window of opportunity between the check-out and check-in yesterday to have the air conditioning unit in question thoroughly checked. They reported absolutely no evidence of mold.
There is a huge space between this guest's original room and the deluxe room next door. The building was built in 1830 and we have no idea why it was done that way. The two rooms below (the office and the sitting room/bar have exactly the same architecturral feature. The smaller room occupied by this guest does have the original french doors with 6 panes of glass but the door to the deluxe room is solid wood and can only be opened by the head housekeeper. I immediately inspected the situation when I read this review but I cannot find any possibility of seeing from one room into the other.
I am glad that the guests were please with the junior suite that they were given when they informed us that they did not care to stay in the deluxe room assigned them.. We did leave the rate the same
which was $ 325 the rack rate for a deluxe room.. Our hallway lighting is kept low because of another original architectural feature. the rooms have what are called "fan lights" because of their shape as transoms.These are original to the building. They let light in which was the original intention before electric lights but most of the guests are bothered by the light if we turn the hallway or carriageway lights uo. We try to compensate with candles. I have no explanation for the problem at check-in. We can only process one room at a time. The guests who are waiting are offered a seat in the adjoing room and it is the responsibility of the porter staff to bring them into the office in the order of their arrival. Obviously someone made a mistake. If the manager had noticed this couple dressed for the Fest she would probably have assumed that they were guests who had arrived earlier and were just relaxing. She has no recollection of the incident but has asked me to please offer her apologies. Not that it makes any difference but this reservation was confirmed one month prior to the arrival date. We don't consider that "last minute" but it is late for French Quarter Fest. Please accept my sincere apologies for an obviously less than perfect stay. I hope that you are fully recovered.

Reviewed April 6, 2011

The following is a warning to anyonw who books this hotel. On their website and on the Small Luxury Club website they list their hotel as having suites with balconies. This is true but if you book one and then go to check in - they then claim that there is a mix up and their balcony suites are actually much more exoensive than the quoted rate of over $500. They then show you to what they claim is your 'suite'. Ours was up 3 flights of steep stairs. They said you could use the small elevator but it only worked once in four days so we had to climb the steps 4-5 times a day. This was ridiculous in 85 degree heat. Also there was no turn down on Sundays - also no discount for this lack of service. You may ask why did't you just leave? That's the best part. They charge your credit card for the full amount of your stay 14 days before arrival! So you have absolutely no alternatives since we were told there would be no refund if we left.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Twinponds
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2011

This guest brought to our attention an error on the Small Luxuryof the Hotels website . Their website (not ours) did say that category AS1 suites have balconies. They do not. The SLH telephone reservationists did have the correct information. This error has been corrected. Only the grand suites have balconies and they were all occupied during the entire time that this guest was with us. I apologized, offered a full refund and assistance with locating another hotel .But as this guest was travelling with friends who were quite happy with their room they preferred not to leave. I did everything I could do to make up for the error. I reduced their rate to a deluxe room rate, sent champagne and gave complimentary breakfast each morning of their stay.
I was not aware of the elevator problem. It will not operate if the gate is left ajar but a call to the Front Desk would have corrected the problem immediately.
I am completely mystified by the comment about the credit card charges. We charge one night at time of booking and the balance owed at check-out. I checked this guest's folio . He was charged 1 night when he booked on January 1, 2011 and the balance when he checked out on March 29, 2011.
The Soniat House does provide turn down service 7 nights a week. I have no explanation as to why this suite was overlooked that evening. Since you were obviously so happy with our location please give us another try someday. We'll try to do better.

Reviewed March 25, 2011

If you want a typically big, anonymous American Hotel with 24h room service and faux-furnishings ... then don't go here. Soniat House is graceful, charming, elegant, personal -- a class act amidst the cacophony that is New Orleans. We adored the 'hot biscuits for breakfast', lounging in the peace of the courtyard and the exceptional service that made you feel as glamorous as the fellow celebrity guests. Additional touches like fabulous antique books about the history of NOLA were exceptionally done.

Soniat House oozes class -- quietly, confidently and consistently.

I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DuchessDarcy
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Lovely, quiet, peaceful, antique. Wonderful, charming old place to retire to when exhausted from Mardi Gras festivities down the street.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple