“Feels like a local experience.”

Royal Street Inn and R Bar
Ranked #52 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
“Feels like a local experience.”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I enjoyed every part of my experience at this inn. Our room had two tokens for free drinks at the bar downstairs. We ran into a hipster chick wearing knit holsters pockets that she made herself. She also sold homemade burrito type food off her bike. I had one with black beans. It was pretty good.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank ErinE0001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Mobile, Alabama, USA
Reviewed July 11, 2011

This place was wonderful, it was close to Frenchmen Street (which is not as touristy as Bourbon Street), but still a short walk to Bourbon. This atmosphere was like staying with a friend instead of a hotel. The bed was super comfy. The cajun lemonade drink at the bar was really tasty. Will definately stay her again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank epenton
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed February 8, 2011

As the title reads, I won't be back to this hotel...although it was not horrible. It was my first time in New Orleans (from the northeast) with a friend who was originally from the area. It's about a 5-10 minute walk from the heart of the French Quarter - Bourbon St & the French Market. Not a bad walk during the day and in good weather. As a female, I wouldn't walk there alone just to be on the safe side.

There is absolutely NO service before 3pm. We checked in with the barmaid in the R Bar. The Bar is filthy, old looking and smelled like an ashtray that hadn't been cleaned in years. Be advised, the hotel "overcharges" (holds extra money) in case of damages. This is not depicted on the reciept, and the money has not yet been returned to our accounts. We did not hang out at this bar. The bartender on duty was nice enough, but her fake attempts to make us happy were not enough.

The noise level was bad. We stayed in the first floor Miriginy Suite. The room was unique and spacious. It was clean. There is balcony access via the stairs in the hall. Beware, everyone walking up and down the stairs sound like they're in the room with you (voices and foot steps). On multiple nights, the bar staff emptied the trash (including piles of clanging glass bottles) right outside our door around 3 or 4 am. People hang out on the sidewalks, and the doors are not well insulated.

Upon checkout we were told we could leave our bags in the room until 2:30 when we departed for the airport. We returned early to find the door wide open exposing all our luggage (including expensive work related technology). This is an unacceptable oversite. So housekeeping couldn't protect our things, but had no problem accepting the tip I left them.

There are enough nicer places in NOLA to settle here. The extra few dollars per nite would've been worth it. IF, you are looking solely for a place to leave your things and party 24/7, I suppose you'll be ok.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mermaidtk1
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 14, 2011

how i didn't fall down the 3 flights of stairs it took to get to the Sirena Suite each time i walked up and down drunk beyond belief is beyond me...

the Sirena Suite was totally perfect in every way. the bed was comfy, the room was totally private being on the top floor. it was clean, spacious, and minimal. i thought that the open bathroom might be a little strange but since i was staying alone it wasn't awkward in the least bit.

the staff were very helpful. i believe one of them carried me up to my room on my birthday after collecting me from a 3 block cab ride. it's all still kinda fuzzy. all i know is the cleaning lady is better than the tooth fairy with those drink chips under my pillow. heaven....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank cholulo1
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed November 4, 2010

It was just before Katrina that I had stayed here with my wife in the Royal Suite, and this was a return trip with friends for Halloween 2010. Some very noticeable changes, and you have to keep in mind that this is NOT even a 2 start hotel or even a medium level inn, it's a great location for access to Frenchman and to have a great balcony for Halloween.

Good First -
The flat screen TV's (one in bedroom didn't work, though), the wi-fi, DVD, I-Pod boom box were new and nice if you're spending time in the room or want background for a party. The shower was great, and we never had a problem with hot water. The kitchen was well stocked with dishes and glasses, and had plenty of silverware (no sharp knife though). We decorated the balcony for Halloween, and enjoyed our drink chips at the R Bar downstairs. Hanging out on the balcony late night provided some great entertainment from the bar below.

Not to good - the room was very dusty, and smelled of smoke. The service was very limited, mostly just changing out towels and bringing chips. We were there for 4-5 nights and they missed at least one day altogether. DJ played until 4, so if you're a light sleeper bring ear plugs (I did, and slept fine). The pull-out sofa really sucks, the mattress is very thin and one of the pillows we found in a closet appeared to have a blood stain on it. The king bed was more comfortable, and the bed in the private bedroom I heard was good though. The last people before us took their keys and the extra keys promised never materialized, so we were given one set. We found a locksmith in the quarter and had a couple extra's made. Made me a little concerned that there were extra keys roaming the area...

In the end - I would still go back, for the balcony and as a party room if nothing else. There is a ton of room, but I wouldn't sleep more than two couples due to the pull-out. Also, small things like hand towels in the half-bath and kleenex would really be appreciated.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dave A
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 19, 2010

To be sure, this place is not for everyone. If you want room service or are a light sleeper, you might look somewhere else. But we loved it. The location is perfect. It is just a couple blocks off the French Quarter, which means it feels more like a neighborhood and not a tourist trap. The bar downstairs is definitely a neighborhood place, but it will be loud and late on the weekends. We had a room on the top floor and, even with the windows closed, you could hear the revelry. The room was great, although I will say that the open bathroom is more cool looking than practical.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MSPXelaforNow
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 27, 2010

My friends and I stayed at the Royal Street Inn the weekend of the Saints-Cardinals game in their Royal Suite. It was an absolute amazing weekend to be in New Orleans and we couldn’t be happier with the level of service we received from the Royal Street Inn and just the overall hospitality of the people. We only got to spend the weekend in the city but we’re already making plans to come back here very soon. I could go on and on about how great the whole stay was but I'll try to limit it to just a few things:

Pros:
-Service- top-notch. Any problems we had we answered as soon as we brought them to the hotel’s attention. More towels? No problem, here are five fluffy towels for you ladies. Yes, you do have to check in at the bar but the bartender was super friendly. When we told her we were there to check in, she gave us a free round of drinks, gave us some free drink tokens and we were then whisked away by another staff member to our room.

-Cleanliness- the room was immaculate. I don’t know why there are complaints about the rooms being dirty when people arrived. Ours was spotless. I wish I had taken pictures before we really settled in so I could capture just how perfect everything looked.

-Beds-The Royal Suite comes with a king size, a queen size and a pull-out couch. I slept on the queen size in the master bedroom and I don’t think I’ve slept in a more comfortable bed. The pillows and linens were soft, the down comforter super fluffy and not suffocating at all.

-Bathrooms- The master bathroom comes with a claw-foot tub and two sinks. There’s another little bathroom in the living/sitting area but the master bathroom is where it’s at. The stained glass window lets in really great natural light instead of that nasty fluorescent lighting you find in just about every other Radisson and Hilton.

-Decorating- I want to buy this person a drink. The entire hotel just evokes a feeling of Southern royalty. You definitely feel like you’re in a fancier/happier version of a Tennessee Williams play.

Cons:
-The check-in time is 3:00pm so if you’re coming in earlier, you need to call and confirm with the manager or just make sure your flight arrives after this time.

-Because our room is right above the bar it would smell a little like smoke in the mornings. This would be the only complaint I have but I think just the overall atmosphere of the hotel and staff makes up for this.

Be aware that it is definitely a Bed & Beverage, as they advertise. So if you’re used to getting maid service and free breakfast buffets and wake-up calls, this hotel is definitely NOT for you. But then again, if you’re coming down to New Orleans and you stay at some huge conglomerate hotel, you’re doing it wrong. You definitely won't get the feel of the city and the money you spend in that hotel goes to some corporate office in New York or LA or god knows where else (*getting off soap box now). I felt like each of the employees I met at the Royal Street Inn had a personal investment in the hotel and genuinely cared about your experience while there and its definitely one of the driving forces to make me want to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank Fiveonetwo