“Our favorite hotel in the Quarter!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #39 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
michigan
“Our favorite hotel in the Quarter!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2007

We have stayed at many different hotels in the quarter, and the Place d'Arms has by far been our favorite. The location perfect, the staff friendly, accomodating and extremely helpful, and our rooms too, have been consistantly comfortable. The courtyard is peaceful and beautiful; I found it a perfect place to relax with a book. The pool was clean and not too crowded. In the morning, coffee,juice and pastries were available for guests in a quaint little room. We are hoping to visit New Orleans again this summer. We will defininately stay here again!

• Liked — friendly staff, quaint, historic hotel charm, location
  • Disliked — There was really nothing I did not like!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank scpdietz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
new jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2007

Just returned from a 3 night stay for Jazz Fest '07. We were in a (I use the term loosely) "deluxe" room on the 1st floor. The room smelled terrible. The bed linens were worn and scratchy and the bedspread dirty. The bathroom floor was also dirty and there were slugs on the carpet. After a long day at jazzfest you just want to relax in your room before going out to dinner. I could barely stay in it to sleep (which we did very little of since the bed was so uncomfortable). All requests to do something about the room was met with indifference from the staff and didn't even bother to apologize. I stay in New Orleans several times a year. Always stay at the Windsor Court and will definitely never go anywhere but there again. The location is great but the place is a Motel 6 at best.

• Stayed April 2007
1 Thank ssac973
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2007

My sister and I found this place on Travelocity and weren't sure what we'd get for the great price, so we were pleasently surprised. The room was great! They have tables outside under magnola trees in a really pretty courtyard. I have stayed in other hotels in NOLA, and I must say that this was one of the best. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the location was hard to beat. 1 block to Decatur Street, Cafe Du Monde, and just a few blocks from Bourbon St. The hotel staff was really friendly and the location was really safe. We would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Sherylh
Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

The Place D'Armes is not your typical chain or high-rise hotel. It is quaint with the proper Southern feel. The staff was nice. The rooms were pretty clean. I stayed in one of the deluxe rooms (#318) with a window view out onto Chartres St. and I could easily walk out of my room to the end of the hall onto the balcony and overlook Jackson Square (pretty cool).

This is a prime location. Walk out of the hotel lobby onto St. Ann. If you go left, you see Jackson Square - and can continue on right to Cafe Du Monde for Beignets.

If you go right, the first street is Royal (lots of stores and antique places). Then another block over to the infamous Bourbon Street (Whew!).

The courtyard to this place is real nice and relaxing. (I hate to call it a hotel - it has a different feel). You will see people out relaxing by the pool or just snacking on danishes or drinking coffee. Each morning croissants and danishes are put out with water, juice or coffee. Nothing to fancy, but a nice way to start off the day.

Make sure you wander around the place - it's pretty interesting. In the lobby, make sure you get a little pamphlet about Cafe Pontalba. When you read about it, you will see a little history of the the Place D'Armes there.

Would I stay there again? Most definitely.

I read one or two reviews of a couple people seeing a mouse in their room. We did see a tiny one the very last night we were there, but it wouldn't discourage me from staying again. The place is so lush with greenery, you are bound to see something. Please don't let this keep you from coming here.

Oh, I was told from a couple staying there, Oh good you are in room 318 and not 320 (the haunted room). Kind of put me in a eerie mood, but it didn't scare me. What was creepy was the winding staircase in the 3-story building. One of the lights was out the first night I was there. I actually felt I would see a ghost. The light was fixed the next day - the creepiness was gone - darn.

Just book this place and enjoy. I'm going back in September and will probably stay here again.

Stayed April 2007
6 Thank Silver V
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

I stayed at the Place d'Armes Hotel with my husband Mar 30 through April 2nd. We were very happy with the atmosphere of the hotel. Our room was cleaned to our satisfaction. Checking in and out was painless. The location is great. Out the door and a block to your left is Cafe Du Monde. Walls are very thin. Heard lots of lovemaking, night and day. Might not want to stay with children. We had a windowless room. We now know to request a room with a window. We peeked in on rooms with windows and a balcony. They were larger and prettier, although our room was sufficient. Staff were all helpful. You can store your luggage with hotel if you have a late flight. We brought our swimsuits hoping to swim. We wouldn't have entered the pool if you paid us. Dirty! That was the only "problem" we found with the hotel. Courtyard was very pretty. Nice place to sit in the morning with a cup of coffee.

• Liked — Location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Windowless room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly L
long island, new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2007

Nice, old hotel with large rooms, a very helpful and friendly staff, and beautiful courtyard. Not a modern, crisp place but this hotel gives you a feel for the real New Orleans. Just a block from Cafe du Monde!!

• Stayed February 2007
2 Thank roogus
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2007

Stayed at Place D'Armes the first weekend of Mardi Gras festivities in a Courtyard view room. The location and old New Orleans atmosphere--both room and courtyard were tops. Room was huge with fireplace, balcony access, crystal chandelier and separate sitting area, although room was dark, somewhat dusty and worn, and one of our two phone did not work, even after it was repaired. As there are five buildings, and all rooms are unique, I can't say whether mine was representative. Location was ultra convenient, just steps from Jackson Square and Royal Street. It was also dark and deserted at night as many neighboring stores were closed. Staff was helpful--especially Chris, but a several were new and a bit clueless. Elevator was small and slow; not a big deal. Push both the up and down buttons and it comes, push the down button when the elevator is on ground floor and it stays there. I would not recommend Place D'Armes for business travelers, but for vacationers who are not perfectionists it is a great choice and value.

• Liked — location; atmosphere
  • Disliked — dysfunction
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mads212