“Fabulous!”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #33 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed July 3, 2005

A delightful little hotel, an oasis of calm and tranquility, yet slap bang in the middle of the action. The courtyard is delightful and the staff very friendly and helpful. If Julie is on reception when you go, make sure to take her up on her restaurant suggestions!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
Reviewed June 30, 2005

My wife & I stayed for 2 nights at the Place d'Armes and were extremely satisfied with our stay. The staff was friendly and helpful. The accommodations were comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. I have already recommended the Place d'Armes to my two daughters who occasionally travel to New Orleans.

W. J. Sundburg

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California Hot Springs, California
Reviewed June 30, 2005

My husband is in the military and is stationed in Louisiana. Over the past three years, we have fallen in love with New Orleans and all that the city has to offer. Two weeks ago, my sister decided that she would come for a visit, and I knew that I just HAD to show her New Orleans.

I made reservations for the Place D'Armes because of its location and historic atmosphere. It is about a block from Bourbon Street and a block from Jackson Square. It's ideal for wandering the city during the day as it is close to the French Market and all the little shops so that you don't have to lug your shopping finds all over town. It's close to The Court of the Two Sisters (a MUST for any NO trip) and the antique and art stores on Royal. And it's only one block away from infamous Bourban Street with all its clubs and nightlife. It's also only about four blocks from Frenchman Row where the best live music from jazz to reggae can be found.

The hotel itself is beatiful in a classic New Orleans way. It's not fancy and flashy...rather it's charming and understated in its old-world elegance. The hotel is made up of nine connecting buildings that surround a courtyard so beautiful that we could have never left the hotel and still had a wonderful stay.

There was a slight problem upon our check-in as the room we had reserved (with a balcony) was not the room we were given (with a shared terrace). Julie at the front desk was upset to find the mistake and more upset that since the hotel was at full occupancy, there was no way she could move us to another room. The hotel sent a complimentary bottle of chamgagne to our room with a hand-written note of apology, and the next day the supervisor reduced the rate of our room and comped the parking for us to make up for the inconvenience.

If you are afraid to stay in the French Quarter because you want a quiet relaxing stay not a party atmosphere, this is the hotel for you. It has the location, the atmosphere, the charm, and the gracious staff to give you a peaceful, romantic (if you're not with your sister!) stay.

13 Thank kyra_10
Helotes, TX
Reviewed June 30, 2005

My wife, son and I stayed at Place D'Armes in late June 2005. Everything was to our expectations and more. The directions to the hotel (we drove from Texas) on their website were perfect and led us directly to the parking garage. The valet parking and attendants were extremely courteous and helpful as was the desk clerk and Concierge. In fact, my wife had asked for a listing of book stores in the quarter and the next morning, we had a list that was good to go.

The room was very nice. Clean and comfortable, plus it was very quiet. Our room faced the courtyard and I would recommend that you get a room that has the courtyard view. It is worth the small additional amount.

The continental breakfast was excellent as well.

When we travel to New Orleans again, we will stay at Place D'Armes.

8 Thank DGFHelotes_TX
Reviewed June 28, 2005

Let me start by saying that the Place D'Armes Hotel is the most romantic place I have ever stayed. I recently took my fiance there to ask her to marry me. Upon arrival, I could not help but see that this place is extremely well cared for! The staff is top notch in all aspects, the room was beautiful, and clean. The staff somehow found out about our special occasion and sent us a bottle of champagne to celebrate with. Talk about unexpected. I had read previous reviews and was a little nervous. I did not see any evidence of what other people had experienced. My fiance and I are now planning on coming back to the hotel for our honeymoon! Hats off to the staff and management of the Place D'Armes Hotel. You all deserve raises! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
jenner california
Reviewed June 24, 2005

June 20-23, 2005: We, a group of 10 friends and family, booked our courtyard rooms at the Place D'Armes over the internet and were pleasantly relieved to find it quite acceptable. The rooms had "old French style" charm, the courtyards and pool were a welcome afternoon retreat, and the morning coffee and croissants (and the friendly woman who maintained the breakfast room) made visits to the crowded and touristy Cafe Du Monde unnecessary. The location can't be beat - one block from Jackson Square and Bourbon Street, but on quiet St. Ann Street. The only drawbacks were the dark bathrooms, the cleaning product and/or musty scent in some of the rooms, and the $20/day parking charge. Don't forget to show your AAA card at check-in. The rate won't be honored at check-out. Front desk staff were also very friendly. We all agreed we'd stay there again.

4 Thank bkb
Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2005

Let me start off by saying that I was a little unsure about staying here after reading some of the reviews but my fears were quickly put to rest. When we arrived our rooms weren't ready but the front desk staff and bellboys quickly helped us store our luggage. After walking around the square we returned and our room was ready. Our luggage was brought up within 5 minutes. We had an interior room (no window) but didn't miss the window at all. The room was small but I never really felt cramped. Afterall, you don't come to NOLA to stay in the room! The room was exactly as shown on the web page and was also very clean. The courtyard and pool area was great. Extremely quiet even at midnight on a Saturday when Bourbon Street (2 blocks away) was going at full speed. The breakfast consisted of coffee, orange juice, croissants and cinnamon rolls. Nothing too fancy but enough to get you going and back out the door. On checkout day we reserved a cab with the front desk and set out to do more shopping/siteseeing. Upon our return our cab and luggage was waiting for us. My only complaint was our room didn't get housekeeping service one day because they were shorthanded but they did call and ask if we needed anything and quickly brought us some clean towels. All staff members were extremely helpful in giving directions, restaurant suggestions, etc. Anytime we saw an employee they greeted us with a smile and a Good Morning or Good Evening. Can't beat the location and I will stay here everytime I return!!!

4 Thank Noahsark99