“Wonderful-Place D'Armes Hotel - New Orleans”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #36 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“Wonderful-Place D'Armes Hotel - New Orleans”
Reviewed June 3, 2005

Place D'Armes Hotel, New Orleans on St Ann's in the French Quarter: We had a wonderful experience with the six rooms we reserved at the Place D'Armes Hotel. All 11 of us were very pleased and enjoyed our stay. A real credit to the management and staff. The garden area is so relaxing and pleasant with a quiet, friendly, and romantic feeling. The rooms were wonderful and part of the traditional New Orleans style. We were exceptionally pleased with the price and quality of the service received.

Continental breakfast with Miss D is worth the stay, and the wonderful people at the desk treated us like family and as special guests. (Also, they know music at the Hotel and directed us to R&B, Gospel, Jazz. We would not have heard the great music if it was not for our stay at the Hotel - an added bonus). The parking is located at the Hotel. (It was a great place to park and to be within walking distance to everything.) The room attendants were helpful, pleasant and devoted to their work. We felt welcome and like family. We noticed gentlemen replacing mats and taking care of items with a smile and greeting us. This was truly a Southern experience.

The Place D'Armes Hotel. We'll be back!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
NJ
Reviewed June 2, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our vacation in New Orleans. This was our first time there and we did a lot of research before we selected a hotel. We ended up staying at the Place D'Armes hotel located near Jackson Square on St. Ann's Street and we can't say enough good things about it. We experienced two rooms at this hotel as the first night we spent on the top floor (5th floor) and then moved to a room with a balcony overlooking the street on the 3rd floor. The reason we moved our room was just so that we could have a balcony if one was available, which it luckily was. The courtyard of this hotel is second to none! Absolutely beautiful and they don't open it up to people on the street...only hotel guests can use it. The courtyard is loaded with beautiful flowers, trees, bistro tables/chairs, lounge chairs, tables with umbrellas surrounding a lovely pool. It is truly a beautiful site to see at any time, but especially during the early morning or evening hours. This hotel truly captures the feeling of being in the French Quarter! Both rooms we stayed in were clean, comfortable, roomy, and well decorated. Both rooms had one wall of brick, which gave the room a very nice look. We stayed in a deluxe room both times for a great price! Every single person that we ran into that worked for the hotel was very pleasant, accommodating, and welcoming! Southern hospitality is very evident here! I don't freely give out good reviews....but I felt compelled to tell everyone looking for a hotel in New Orleans to look no further....this hotel is truly charming, elegant, and everything a hotel in the French Quarter should be. If you want to experience the quaint feeling of being in the south in the beautiful French Quarter....the Place D'Armes is for you!

6 Thank DarleneT
Reviewed May 31, 2005

My husband and I just stayed at this wonderful hotel, the Place d'Armes on St. Ann Street. I can't say enough about the convenient location, and wonderful attitude and help of the staff. Everyone was so accommodating, and I want to put a special word in for Delores and her breakfast buffet-- she made it seem like you had a mother away from home! Our rooms were more than we expected. Everything was so clean, cozy and full of charm. The beautiful courtyard was our special stop for a nightcap on the way back to our room every night. What character the entire hotel has!

This hotel made our stay such a memorable one, and we are already planning our next trip down to the same hotel and fabulous town.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus, OH
Reviewed May 30, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Place D’Armes Hotel over Memorial Day weekend in 2005. We’d booked our room through the hotel’s website and had no problems with our reservations. The hotel is located right on the square, which is its biggest selling point. If you’ve never been to New Orleans before, the condition of the hotel may surprise you as everything is not brand new and sparkling - but then again nothing in the city is either. Our room was spacious and clean, though we made a point to avoid the interior rooms with no windows. The continental breakfast could have been better organized (one thing was missing at any given time, including plates and cups), but it is “free” after all. The staff was friendly and helpful. When we next return to New Orleans, we will again stay at the Place D’Armes Hotel.

Stayed May 2005
3 Thank 74ghia
So. Calif.
Reviewed May 28, 2005

I stayed at the Place d' Armes Hotel 5/23-5/26 and I was delighted with the hotel and the staff in spite of some of the reviews I read here. The location is perfect. It's just a few short blocks from Jackson Square and the Café Dumond. Two blocks the other way, and you're on Burbon Street.

My check-in went without a hitch and I got the exact room I had requested. Tim and the entire staff were more than pleasant and helpful. Everyone from the bellman to the housekeeper made my stay a real treat, and Tim is a pure delight. He is absolutely dedicated to that Hotel and the comfort of the guests.

The front desk clerk that some have complained about was no problem at all. Although she does not have an overly outgoing personality, she was very professional and helpful with directions and other questions that I asked.

When I dashed in the door one afternoon and asked her to hold some bags at the front desk so I didn't have to take them back to my room while I continued shopping, she was very nice about it. But then again, I greeted her with a smile when I arrived and said Please and Thank you when I asked her for something, and maybe that made a difference.

My room was just fine. It wasn't perfect, but it was clean, comfortable and very large. It had a balcony overlooking the fountain and garden and there were two chairs and a small table on the balcony where I could sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or just marvel at the beautiful surroundings. You have to walk up a flight of outside stairs to get there, but it was worth it.

I'm not excusing the conditions some have reported at this Hotel. I would have been really upset if my room had mold on the walls, but I never saw anything like that.

I think people need to remember that this hotel is not "hermetically sealed" like some of the new hotels. It's very old and New Orleans is a hot, humid place. There may be some imperfections, and their decorating style is not something I would copy at home. But, if you're looking for a real taste of New Orleans, this is the place. I will definitly stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2004
8 Thank Dazi
Kansas City
Reviewed May 21, 2005

Place D'Armes is a charming hotel. The courtyard is absolutely stunning and I found the staff to be very helpfull and nice. And as mentioned in so many other reviews, the location in the Quarter simply cannot be beat.

My friends and I occupied rooms 120 and 123 last weekend. These 1st floor rooms that have two beds were good for what we needed, which was simply a place to rest for the night. We spent very little time in the actual room. The most notable thing about these rooms is the fact that the windows face the street and are so close that the first time I opened the window I felt like I was actually IN the street. A drunk was asleep outside our window. A sad sight. It only took a little while to get used to the window (we kept the curtains closed most of the time). The street was not busy, so their was no noise problem. My only real complaint about the room, was the fact that: 1) mold on the bathroom ceiling of room 123, 2) the beds were as hard as rocks, 3) the pillows were flat as pancakes. But hey, after a night on Bourbon St., who really notices! :)

We spent the mornings in the courtyard getting ready for the day. A pefect place to gather your thoughts, chat with other guests, and just take in the beauty of the vegitation. I found the morning hotel breakfast not to my liking, but have rarely had a continental breakfast that I really cared for. We were in and out of the hotel lobby all day and night. Most everytime we stepped through the door, the person working the desk would acknowledge us with a smile or a hello. This is a small but noticiably nice gesture.

Overall, I enjoyed staying at Place D'Armes, and would definately stay again. I would, however, pay a little extra and get a room overlooking the courtyard. If only they would pay attention to the rooms with as much pride as they do the courtyard, this hotel would rank much higher in my book.

If your looking for a no frills hotel in a great location with a LOT of New Orleans character, then this is the place to choose. If your looking for a top rate hotel that carries the ammenitys and quality of say a Hilton or a Marriott, then save yourself the grief and head to Canal street. . . keep the rooms at Place D'Armes open to the more adventureous!

4 Thank Greg S
Reviewed May 17, 2005

My husband and I just returned yesterday from the Place d'Armes Hotel. I read a number of reviews before booking and it seemed like this hotel was going to be pretty hit and miss in terms of rooms. I took my chance and, unfortunately, ours was a BIG miss...Hands down, the second to worst hotel room I have ever stayed in.

1. Carpet was disgusting. Definitely would not walk on it without shoes. I understand New Orleans is prone to flooding and the carpet in this room definitely must have been a victim. At this point, it wasn't much better than indoor/outdoor carpet. Thin, worn, dirty looking. The floor under the carpet was apparently in bad shape too. Rather than utilizing some floor leveler first, they just slapped that ratty carpet over the top so the floor was all lumpy and uneven.

2. Wallpaper must be older than I am. It was dingy, dark and peeling off the walls everywhere.

3. MOLD growing on the walls. I'm not talking about a little mold on the grout in the bathroom (although there was some of that too). I'm not talking about dust or any other kind of dirt. I mean black colored MOLD growing right on the wallpaper in the bedroom area. And a good bit of it too. One wall had patches of it covering an area about 2 feet x 3 feet. And I didn't have to look hard to find it. It was CLEARLY visible above the armoire holding the TV.

4. Minor fear that the ceiling might fall on us. There was an area of the ceiling that had clearly suffered water damage…very close to being directly above my husband’s head while he slept. Around the damaged area, the paint was peeling and flaking…a big brown stain surrounded by peeling paint does not inspire confidence in the structural integrity of the place.

5. Room just generally smelled...the mold probably didn't help.

6. Room location was uneventful. We had a ground floor 'courtyard' room, but it was more like an ‘alley’ room. Room 124 was off a smaller courtyard and even then it wasn't really on the courtyard. It was off of a walkway leading away from the courtyard...hence, more of an alley.

7. Room decor was dark, dull and dreary. In addition to the previously mentioned dirt, the dark brown bedding and curtains didn't help liven things up. The furniture was well worn and didn't have the feel that it was worn because it was antique...it just seemed shabby. Overall, the room felt like a cave. And having a room with a window didn't help since it was ground floor and we kept the curtains pulled so that we weren't on display for all of the other guests...well, the ones who would venture up our 'alley' anyway.

Being an old building, I wasn’t surprised or even upset by the fact that the floor above us was pretty close to paper thin…Well before 8:00 in the morning I awoke to the stomping of our upstairs neighbor. I think they were actually just walking around, but each and every footstep sounded like a stampede. And I wasn’t surprised or upset by the tiny bathroom…We couldn’t even get the bathroom door shut if we were sitting on the toilet. But when combined with all of the other negatives, even the things I had been expecting seemed like bigger drawbacks than they would have otherwise.

As for the positives, the hotel location was good. Right near Jackson Square. However, the area isn’t THAT big…so it seems that the vast majority of French Quarter hotels have a good location. For perspective, as 30-year-olds who aren’t in particularly good shape, we had more than enough energy to walk anywhere we wanted to go in the Quarter and even took 2 walking tours in the same day.

The courtyard was nice…we left our alley and ate our breakfast in the main courtyard. But don’t plan on spending a whole lot of time there because the furniture, while nice to look at, wasn’t particularly comfortable.

Fortunately, we only had to stay one night at this hotel…Which is the only reason I didn’t inquire about switching rooms. Much more than 1 night and I really would have had serious concerns about staying there. Molds can pose serious health risks and there was just too much of it in that room to feel safe or comfortable.

The shame of it is that the room had a lot of potential if hadn’t been one of the grimiest, dingiest, least-cared for hotel rooms I’ve ever seen. If you are a gambler, go ahead and take the chance that you will get one of the nice rooms that people have reported getting. Otherwise, your best bet is to stay somewhere else.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member