“Disappointed”

Ranked #38 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Connecticut
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2005

Just returned from NO - stayed at Place d'Armes. Really disappointed - only good thing was the courtyard (although not as nice as pictures on the Web) and the location. Of course, anything that's in a picture always looks good or inviting. The location of this place is perfect - couldn't be much better. And, it is very quiet. However, I was disappointed with my room - afraid to walk barefoot on carpet for one thing, and the room was small. I had reserved a DeLuxe King. Did not get a king; had to walk down the hall to the balcony to view Chartres Street. Thought I'd be able to walk outside a door to my room. Bathroom tiny - had barely any water pressure on the shower and the water was cold - never warmed up! There was some mold (mildew) on tiles around tub, which turned me off. There is a continental breakfast, but even the cinnamon buns are dry and maybe a day old - certainly didn't have the texture of fresh baked or fresh. Certainly not worth the cost. If you're not looking for a fancy place, then stay here - if for no other reason than its location. I hope to go back to NO someday, but I won't be staying at the Place d'Armes, unfortunately.

5 Thank NObound

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2005

My bestfriend and i stayed at the Place d'Armes in October and just fell in love with the hotel and new orleans. I loved it so much at we are going back to celebrate her 25th wedding anniversary there and my wedding in the courtyard thanks to management. The courtyard is just the perfect place to have a wedding and along with us we are bringing 10 other family and friends to enjoy the hotel and new orleans along with us. Thanks Place d'Armes.

• Stayed October 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Birmingham, AL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2005

I booked 4 nights at this hotel for an anniversary celebration mainly because of the location which absolutely cannot be beaten by any other hotel in the quarter. After encountering the most unconcerned and unhelpful front desk staff ever we were prepared for the worst. And as we expected the common areas of the hotels were filthy but we were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of our room. Although it was extremly small the overall condition was good. But, we were very uncomfortable by the ever present homeless persons who were allowed to loiter right outside the front door of the hotel without regard from the staff. All in all, I think I'll pay the same rate at another hotel and walk another block or two to Jackson Square next time.

• Stayed September 2004
6 Thank meac
South Lyon MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2005

We had just left a hotel where twice during the night someone tried to enter our room. My daugther and I felt very unsafe.
We booked a room at the Place d' Armes in the heart of the French Quarter. A charming hotel with an inner garden courtyard framing the pool, that beckons you in! As you can imagine we couldn't get out of the last hotel fast enough so we arrived early and our room wasn't ready. The manager kindly offered to lock our luggage up so we could explore the French Quarter. We explored for awhile but we were so tired from the experience the night before that we decided to just wait in the hotels Dining room until our room was ready. While we sat there the hostess took notice of us and insisted on bringing us some complimentary hot tea and rolls. Note: This was after the kitchen was closed.
Our room was elegantly appointed and we had a great nights sleep. Upon returning home my daugther remembered leaving several items behind in our room. I called the Hotel and with in a week they mailed them back to us. Now how often does that happen?

9 Thank Ilsa B
New Boston, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2005

We can't say enough about the Place d'Armes! My husband and I fell in love with New Orleans about ten years ago. We try to get down there at least twice a year. We've stayed in many other hotels, including the ones with the five *'s. Forget it! This is THE hotel to stay! The staff is wonderful! Tim was especially great! We got the exact room I had asked for when we booked our trip. Every time we're at the hotel, I take my own tour of it. I ask house-keeping to show me other rooms that I would be interested in staying in on a future trip. (July) You're also so close to everything. Walking distance! I can't say enough positive things about N.O. and the Place d'Armes. I have met so many wonderful people (mostly merchants) that a few of us keep in touch via e-mail. So, when we go back, it's like coming home!! I can't wait until July to see the crape-myrtles in bloom in the hotels beautiful courtyard!!

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank fairyway
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2005

My husband and I stayed here two weeks after Mardi Gras.
The location of this charming hotel gets five stars. You really can't ask for more. It's so centrally located in the French Quarter.
Restaurants, clubs, shops, art galleries, Jackson Square - all is in quick walking distance. Forget your sweater? No problem, the hotel is right around the corner! We loved that aspect, because we were able to go back and forth and change clothes or drop off the camera without making it a big deal.
Now for the bad news- check-in is ridiculous. The woman at the front desk is surly, unhelpful and just rude! After a long wait for our room key, we were led past the courtyard to this dark, dank cell with windows that faced the exterior street, instead of the pretty courtyard. Very, very noisy. And not what we had pictured. I had reserved a king sized bedroom on the second floor, with french doors overlooking the patio. I had called to confirm the room reservation just two days prior.
Not happy, my husband complained to the front desk, and got nowhere. Finally he tracked down the GM, who is a very nice guy, and got the issue resolved. We were upgraded to a suite overlooking the courtyard. The room was nice, but I wouldn't have paid full price for it, i think it was rather expensive.
Bottom line- you shouldn't have to go to the GM for good service in a hotel. If you can get past the attitude at the front desk, you will enjoy your stay!

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2005

It was my first time in New Orleans and it's now one of my favorite cities! And I know the Place d'armes had a lot to do with me loving my vacation so much! As soon as we pulled up to the hotel, I fell in love. It is very quaint looking, with gaslanterns lighting the way. My boyfriend and I had a room on the first floor, right by the pool. It was spacious and very clean, and amazingly enough, even for being right by a patio, it was so quiet. The staff was friendly and although we slept through the complementary breakfast each morning, other travelers raved to us about how great it was.
Since we love to eat and drink, being two blocks away from Bourbon Street was perfect. Close by, yet faraway enough to feel like you can get away when you want. Plus it's so close to shopping on Royal, the artistry of Jackson Square, and the delights of the French Market.
We stayed in January, when the weather was beautiful, but not too warm. On the nice days we did a swamp tour and a plantation tour, both of which the hotel staff helped book. On the one rainy day, we hit the museums and the small portrait shop right across St. Ann street. (My boyfriend still can't believe he let me talk him into it...but it's a great memory.)
And I have saved the best for last. We booked our room for only $70 a night. I travel quite often, and this is by far the best deal I have had. I know the fare was low because of the time of year, so I suggest to anyone that wants to experience New Orleans for all it's charm and less crowds, a month before Mardi gras is perfect. And definitely stay at Place d'armes. You will not be sorry.

• Stayed January 2005