“really quaint”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #29 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
seven mile, ohio
Reviewed November 8, 2004

We were in New Orleans Sept. 20 and 21 and had a great time. We loved the place for its wonderful garden patios. we had a room upstairs that overlooked one of the gardens and I loved it. I loved the french doors on the outside rooms. I felt like I was in a southern movie. We had a very nice room. Large and clean and the bathroom was huge. I would love to stay again. Service was good and people very friendly especially the young man at the front desk and he was very knowledgeable about getting around.Thank you!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,379)

Reviewed November 5, 2004

Having spent three nights here in September '04, my husband and I left with the impression that this lovely Hotel in a great location is not realising its full potential probably due to poor management. The staff, while pleasant, do not appear enthusiastic in their work with the exception of the Breakfast Lady.
The sink in our bedroom was stained and filthy and no attempt to clean it was made during our stay. Luckily, the one in the bathroom was OK as were the towels and bedding although it was disconcerting in the night to find cockroaches in the bathroom. (Maybe we're being too squeamish about this but, being from Scotland, we are not used to them.) The air conditioning unit was noisy but we could only control it by disconnecting the power supply as the controls seemed to be jammed up with dirt.
To be fair, these things may have been dealt with had we complained but we were busy enjoying N.O. and the staff, although polite, were always busy and not particularly approachable.

• Stayed: September 2004
6  Thank fimobo
Monroeville, NJ
Reviewed November 3, 2004

My wife and I just returned from a four day stay in New Orleans and we feel that we couldn't have found better hotel. Knowing about the windowless interior rooms, we requested a deluxe one. We stayed in room 222 and thought it was wonderful. It had a high ceiling, chandlier, two double beds, a newer bathroom, and a separate sitting area. The courtyard of this hotel is absolutely gorgeous. We came back one night around 3:30am and had the entire area to ourselves. How relaxing to sit in such a peaceful setting while finishing our nightcaps. As for the location, it can't be beat. One and half blocks to Bourbon Street and a half block to Jackson Square. We also found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly and encountered none of the problems that some other reviewers indicated. We thought New Orleans was a fantastic city and we will definetly return to the Big Easy and the Place D'Armes.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 1, 2004

Hello Tim:
I would like to thank you again for making my trip to New Orleans such a wonderful experience. I am already looking forward to returning sometime within the next 12 months. You the staff and the facilities at the Place d'Armes were more than I have ever experienced at any of the hotels I have ever stayed at. If I were to ask for anything more in the way of service or facilities as well as gardens and location I don't know what it could be.
The staff really pulled together during the hurricane event and gave the guests the assurance that everything was covered.

3  Thank jamesg
Reviewed October 26, 2004

This hotel has an unbeatable location. The rooms are varied in style and design. Unfortunately, my room had no windows (#323). It was narrow with a high ceiling. It did, however, hv a walk-in closet which was good. I can't speak for all the rooms but if you're looking for a Holiday Inn-type space keep going. The room was clean but the furniture and decor were well worn. The shower pressure was nearly non-existent, the sink was cracked and there wasn't much lighting. However, the room was adequate and served the purpose for my 5-day stay. Also, if you're into courtyards, this one is really nice. I would have to say that it was a good experience. Again, just ask for a room with windows and don't expect the typical generic hotel room - it adds to your overall French Quarter experience.

• Stayed: October 2004, traveled on business
1  Thank Desmond13
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 19, 2004

The only reason I gave it even a "2" rating is because of the excellent location and Dolores at breakfast. We loved being in a nice area and within walking distance to everything. If we had a different room it might have been better, but we had a tiny inside room with a tiny bathroom. We reserved a rollaway bed but were told on arrival that our room couldn't have a rollaway -- only after demanding a different room was the rollaway delivered, and the employee who brought it was quite surly. Other than repeatedly pitching her favorite tours, the desk attendant our first day was uninterested in helping. Not many amenities here, although the price was $219+. Courtyard was pretty but full of biting insects. 10.19.04

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 6, 2004

I have visited New Orleans at least once a year for 20 years, as my mom lives in the Quarter. The Place D' Armes is the most reasonable priced, best located, parking available, well appointed rooms I stay at while there. In fact, if I can't get a room there, I will not visit. The breakfast is excellent, Cresent rolls (only good in New Orleans) and coffee/fresh orange juice. I have actually eaten their breakfast when I have NOT stayed there. Dont' tell anyone, please. The rooms are all a littel different, which makes for an interesting stay occasionally. The rooms are amazingly large. It is only one half block from Jackson Square and 1 block from Cafe Du Monde (the doughnut place). While there, get a shrimp PoBoy at the Royal Street grocery (St. Ann and Royal Street, at the corner) for only 5bucks. It is the best shrimp poboy in the world. I mean that because I am an expert with Shrimp poboys. Johnny's poboys are a close second (Toulouse St and Decatur). Anyway, while in New orleans, don't miss the observation deck at the top of the Royal Orleans hotels at Royal and St. Louis Street..It's above the Pool. You can see all of new Orleans up there and... it's free!!!!!!! Ask the bar there for a rock candy sugar stir stick. They used to have them in 1975 but have since stopped serving them. It drives them crazy when people ask for one... By the way, I am in hotel management, live in Atlanta.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member