“Great”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #31 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

Place d'Armes is a beautiful hotel that exists of more than one building, that -as one- makes a very very nice accommodation. Location is in the heart of the French Quarter, everything you want to see is in walking distance, even Frenchmen street is not far by foot.
Parking is $28 a day, which we thought was a lot of money, but our car was safe and near.
Without knowing we had booked an 'interior room ', which eventually turned out to be a room without windows. For our four nights, that was a bit uncomfortable. There was no other option than to book another room for $45 per night (because we where with three). But that room was very spacious and beautiful.

Costumer service is excellent. The hotel has a beautiful courtyard with a (small) pool. Everything is clean and taken care of. Unfortunately there is no sports facility.

About the environment: the state tourist center is very near. They will help you with everything you want to experience in NO without wanting to sell a sightseeing or trip. We had a very friendly, informative conversation there.
Bourbon street is almost around the corner, but if you really want to experience jazz, go to Frenchmen street; less tourism and a real taste of the great artists NO has to offer.
We went to a good concert and had a great dinner at Chickie Wah Wah, which is 15 minutes by Street Car (tram for $1,25 pp).

I would really recommend Place d'Armes as a great stay in New Orleans.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MarcNijmegen
Write a ReviewReviews (2,339)

Reviewed August 28, 2014

We were only in Nola for 1 night, and this hotel was in the perfect location to see everything in the French quarter. It is located between Jackson Square/Café du monde and Bourbon street. Close enough to walk the attractions, but just enough away to be able to sleep without the noise. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony and couldn't have been more pleased. It is an older hotel, but the beds were comfortable, amenities were upscale and there was an elevator. You could really feel the history of old New Orleans, but really nice shopping on the same street. It is on the path of the ghost tour, and the horse drawn carriages. Continental breakfast was limited, but at least they offered something. We would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: The inside rooms have no windows, but it really doesn't matter if you are going to be out in the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel before and when another trip to NO came up, I reserved again with them. As usual, great place, nice interior courtyard with a pool and a fountain and centrally located right on Jackson Square. Very quiet, since there are no bars on that street. Would stay there again. Continental breakfast and WiFi is included. Parking on site for a fee.

Room Tip: I had room 508, which had a King, a sleeper sofa, fridge and microwave.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I loved the French Market Inn (owned by the same people as this hotel), but because of Fire Marshal regulations, the five of us couldn't stay in one room there. I was heartbroken, but I ended up looking into this hotel. The pictures online leave a lot to be desired, but I booked it anyway, and I am so glad I did! We stayed in the junior suite (room 222) and there was plenty of room for all of us! The courtyard was beautiful and peaceful. This is definitely the French Quarter at its best!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Place d'Armes Hotel for two days on our way to Florida and then an additional day upon our return home. This was our first trip to New Orleans and we wanted an authentic experience, something unique in the French Quarter. After extensive Tripadvisor reseach I felt fairly confident in my expectations of Place d'Armes, or what other reviewers perceived to be positive and negative qualities of the hotel. We chose an interior room for the first two days of our stay and splurged for a room with a terrace overlooking St. Ann Street the last day of our stay. Place d'Armes far exceeded our expectations and greatly enhanced our overall French Quarter experience.

The interior room was small and without windows as described on the website, but quite lovely and beautifully decorated. I felt like I was staying in the bedroom of a very old house. The king sized bed was comfortable, the air conditioner worked very well and the water pressure in the shower was more than adequate. We heard minimal noise outside of our room, particularly with the white noise from the air conditioner. This room was the perfect place to retreat after a full and exhausting day of exploring the city. We slept soundly and restoratively.

The room with the terrace overlooking St. Ann's Street had more of a luxurious feel. Sitting on the private terrace, we heard jazz drifting over from Jackson Square and engaged in people-watching while enjoying coffee and beignets from Cafe du Monde, which is just up the street. The only disadvantage of this room is a higher noise level as a result of facing the street, in particular, the garbage truck at 5:00 a.m. Again, the white noise from the air conditioner helped muffle a good deal of the noise.

It is important to remember that this is an old hotel. The drapes, carpeting and wallpaper, etc. appear somewhat aged, and you may have to run the water for a few minutes to get the hot water flowing. This is part of the charm. Previous reviews have noted a dank, musty or moldy smell. This was not our experience; however, when taking into consideration the heat and humidity of the New Orleans climate I believe I would have forgiven a slight musty smell.

In summary, this is a beautiful hotel, inside and out, comprised of several restored 18th and 19th century buildings surrounding a lush courtyard full of greenery, flowers, Magnolia trees, and including a salt-water swimming pool perfect for cooling off in the steamy heat. Most of the other patrons appeared to be of middle-age or older, resulting in a quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Stepping into the courtyard feels like stepping into a serene paradise, far removed from the hustle, bustle and (sometimes) overstimulation of the French Quarter, allowing one to enjoy the best of two worlds!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DeLois H
Reviewed August 25, 2014

My family was down in New Orleans last week for my dad's 75th birthday and we decided to try out the Place d'Armes. We had two rooms for the five of us. My parents were in room 502 which smelled a little musty to me but my parents said the room was fine for them. However, my parents did complain about the washroom being tight and having to turn sideways to get in and out of the shower. Also, the two windows in their room did not open. When my parents inquired about getting a different room and one preferably on the same floor as my room, they were told no rooms would be free until a few days into our stay so my parents decided to stay put.
I stayed in room 301 with my two siblings and our room was far superior to my parents with a balcony overlooking the front entrance of the hotel on St. Ann. The street noise especially in the early morning was loud so am I ever glad I had packed ear plugs . But I would without hesitation stay in this room again. We really loved the balcony.
The morning continental breakfast was pretty good for what it was; consisted of coffee, orange juice, croissants, three types of danishes, bananas, apples, and oranges. The pool was also nice but was in need of getting skimmed. I asked a few times for a pool skimmer and they attended to it promptly so it was no big deal.
Overall, we had a great stay and really enjoyed the convenient and excellent location of this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 301 had two double beds and a nice balcony overlooking hotel entrance on St. Ann. Room 502 had...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We had stayed at this hotel a few years ago, and chose it again. No disappointments. Our bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. We had an interior room (no windows) which doesn't bother me. I don't go to N.O. to gaze out of a window. Staff were all friendly and helpful. One of the few hotels in the Fr Qrt to offer free breakfast, which makes it an even better bargain. No noise from hallway or adjoining rooms.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple