“Great location and charming courtyard”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #39 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Windsor, Canada
“Great location and charming courtyard”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My family and I booked this hotel by recommendation from a friend. I was looking for something authentic and quiet. Our room was huge and secluded. It was perfect. We felt like we had our own courtyard. Wonderful for the morning coffee and book. Our children loved the salt water pool. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful with the tours and information about the area. Our car was always ready for us in 10 min. I must say, also, that the cleaning crew was very polite and always willing to add more towels or soap, etc. If you like fairy tale gardens and respect the history of New Orleans, you will LOVE this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 128, 2 Queen beds, huge! Loved it!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Vanesa M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Place d'Armes is a perfect get a way for a couple in New Orleans. We had a fabulous time. The room was great (room 110) the price was great. The pool and court yard were beautiful!!! Location Location Location !!! Just a block away from the French Market! The room had exposed brick and exposed beams. The lush garden area made for a very relaxing evening by the pool. The staff was very nice and helpful. The bed was comfortable and even the pillows were great. A/C works very well and so did the ceiling fan! We will stay again. Thanks for making our trip to NOLA great!!!

Room Tip: Small lobby! Check out earlier than 11o'clock as to avoid the line.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sandra M
DC Metro area
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Place d'armes is blocks away from all the action. A short walk to Bourbon, Jackson square, the French Market and is surrounded by tons of cute shops and restaurants. The decor, exposed brick the rooms and the garden area give it a nice old world feel but only steps away from all the action.

Pros: Location, location location. The price was also desirable along with size of the rooms compared with the typical chain hotels and the beds were comfortable.

Cons: The bathrooms were small and at times I felt like I was living in a apartment because of people walking in the room above me.

Overall: I would recommend this hotel for someone wanting to stay in the french quarter and get away from the typical chain hotels.

Room Tip: Be sure to choose a room with a window because there are several interior rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Neaseoul
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

First let me begin by saying that the building this hotel is in is old, I mean old, like much of New Orleans actually. And my taste in accommodations runs more toward the modern and updated, but having said that I did enjoy our stay here once I tried to see the charm in the "oldness".

Our courtyard rooms were very clean. The maids did an excellent job. The furniture and bedspreads were dated but ok. The internet was non-existent. You had to sit outside in the courtyard to get it to connect, and it's New Orleans in July so we did without it!

The great thing about this place was the location and parking. Just a few steps from Jackson Square, Cafe du Monde, and 2 blocks from Bourbon St! Awesome! Parking was in their garage and was valet only. They were very speedy getting the car when we needed it, and we never had to worry about where to leave it.

We also had a very nice and helpful gentleman who accommodated our room needs when we checked in, but on the other side the night clerk was not friendly and she acted like we were bothering her every time we asked for something.

All in all, for the price, I would probably try one of the other hotels in the area, like the Bourbon Orleans, before I'd go back here again. The rooms here were only $10 less than the Bourbon Orleans, which we visited and was much nicer. So it wasn't a bad experience, but I felt like we could have gotten more for our money elsewhere. The 4 stars I've given it are mainly for its location and the clean rooms.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Snarfyschmoo
Memphis
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Let me see, were do I start. We arrived at this hotel on Friday, July 4th, 2014. The front desk clerk at the time Dionne was very, very unprofessional. She was rude and not approachable. She had us to pay for 3 pp in a room which was an additional $20 per night but we only had 1 bed and could not get a rollaway from her. Although she knew it was 3 ladies in a room she only cared about the $20 per night fee. Not only that the hotel's internet was very very slow and the reception with out cell phones were Horrible! To add insult to everything the room was suppose to be a King but it was a queen but we were told we couldn't be accommodated because they were sold out! The location was perfect for what we did but service SUCKS! Also, the house keeper came to our room at 9:24 am on Sunday morning and said she was there to clean the room. I told her to come back later because we were not ready. She stated well honey what time are you talking about because it's Sunday and we leave early on Sundays. I was HOOOOT at that point and told her to just give us some towels and don't worry about the room because I didn't know what time I would be going out. She laughed and said sure just initial this paper saying no cleaning. After returning to the room later in the day, someone had for some reason changed their mind and cleaned our room. WTH!!! Then, I tried to use the computer in the lobby but it was sooooo slow that we almost missed leaving for concert. Oh don't let me forget that we asked for a fridge and when the guy brought it into the room it never got cold and it smelled like apple cider vinegar the whole time.
On another note Ms. Nel at the front desk was very, very helpful and concerned about our stay. She understood and worked very hard to make our stay pleasant. Also Robert, the bell hop was very attentive. But please be warned that this is an older and run downed property. It only has 2 floors and the continental breakfast only has fruit and donuts. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER stay at this property again. They are part of the Valentino chain so be aware To he walls and floor are so thin that we heard everytime someone walked by or laughed to hard. We were in room 107 on the 1st floor and it was very noisy.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
10 Thank MemphisLove2travel
mcharlesnola, General Manager at Place d'Armes Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Guest was upset about extra person charge, this created difficulties throughout the stay. The $20 charge for guests (more than 2 persons) is clearly indicated in all materials, standard at hotels throughout New Orleans.
Lake Balboa, CA
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Only steps from Jackson Square, it was amazing it was so quiet. Room was large and the staff was very accommodating. Parking is a problem and valet is the only way but at $35.00 per night, a little pricey. Love it! WiFi was on and off.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Long Beach, California
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I would actually give the Place d"Armes a 3+ rating -- the four is mainly for the location.

The good: location, location, location! Right off of Jackson Square, you can see the spires of St. Louis Cathedral from your window if you have a front-facing room. Easy walking-distance to anything in the French Quarter. My room was good-sized, nicely furnished, clean, and air-conditioned.

The so-so: The staff was professional, but I wouldn't term them friendly. There were a few times, both on the phone before I arrived and when I was staying at the hotel, where I sort of felt as if my questions were an imposition to the desk clerks. (That being said, my taxi was there at exactly the time I asked for it.)
My room wasn't quite what I expected. It was large and clean, but, being on the top floor, had only small, dormer windows. These were so covered with layers of drapery that they let in almost no light. It also faced the street, and I thought I had asked for a courtyard-facing room. When I asked to switch rooms, I was told the hotel was full.
The continental breakfast was about what you would expect. Juice, coffee, and danishes -- maybe bananas and apples?. No cereal or yogurt. I had it the first morning, but went out to eat the other mornings of my stay.

The bad: the cleaning staff threw away several things that I left out on the table. These included pamphlets I had collected about sights I wanted to see and a souvenir cup (just cheap plastic, but still) from a walking tour I took. I have never had cleaners throw away things that belong to me, and I have stayed in hotels around the world. Fortunately, I didn't leave anything really important or valuable out, but I still didn't appreciate having information and a souvenir disposed of.

I would probably stay here again, but I would be very specific about my room request, and I would NOT leave anything out in the room!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo