“Location and Personality”

Ranked #38 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Florence, AL
“Location and Personality”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I've lost count of how many times I've stayed here over the years. It's always pleasant and it's always a huge surpirise. The history behind the buildings leads you to understand why each room has it's own unique layout offering. And I always find myself in a place of personal anticipation of where I'll get to stay in those barracks. The rooms are lovely, quirky and clean. The location simply can't be beat. Trust me, I've stayed at all the closest competition. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is complimentary continential breakfast. A great time to hydrate and get your morning dose of caffeine. I save those danish calories for a walk down Chartres and a visit to the the Fleur de Lis. You can't beat their crawfish omlette. But next time I'm in the French Quarter I'll be back at the Place d' Armes.

Room Tip: Delux usually means a window. We ended up with a shared balcony overlooking Jackson Square and love...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Americana29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
Venus
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We were able to check in early upon arrival. The courtyard of this hotel is absolutely gorgeous! Guest interaction was definitely enjoyable...and the hotel has a perfect location!!! This was the 1st leg of a 10 day trip, so we didn't want a room on the 2nd floor. The only "downside" was the lack of parking, but apparently that is to be expected in New Orleans.

The customer service was good, we did not want our room cleaned since we were only there two nights...so no complaints on that. We just did not like our room...it did not have any NOLA charm to it, no exposed brick or anything to suggest that we were not at a hotel on the interstate in any random city. I was not impressed with anything about the room, except the smell...which was moldy & gross.

I chalked it up to Katrina & being old, but I was very jealous when I saw some of the other guest rooms as the maids were cleaning. I guess we should have asked for a better room, but I hate to be "picky" :) I was also a bit "upset" to find that we had paid $179/night & this hotel was booking for $99 while we were there...for $200/night I feel like we should have been give the BEST room, not the worst...

Overall, a fantastic hotel, the only reason I didn't give a rating of 5 was our room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the courtyard!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Wylie, South Carolina
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have not been to New Orleans since before Katrina, so I, of course, searched Trip Advisor to find a hotel and settled on the Place d Armes hotel and we are so glad that we did. The hotel is well located in the French Quarter, with excellent parking. It is an very old building with real gas wall lights outside and so nice. It is maybe 1/2 block from Jackson Square, another block to Cafe du Monte and the river front. You are also just 2 blocks off Bourbon Street, so it is a great location. As I mentioned, the building is truly old, but in great repair, with a beautiful courtyard with a pool. They have plenty of free coffee in the morning with a variety of rolls, muffins and orange juice, along with a free local paper. Our room is a king size on the front of the hotel with a balcony on St Ann Street. We were amazing how much the glass door and drape eliminated the street sound, so it was the best of both worlds. The bath is modern and spacious, our king bed was very comfortable and the TV worked great, with plenty of channels, along with the included wireless. The staff, from the front desk, to the bell man, to those serving the morning coffee and rolls is excellent, friendly and ready to help you with your needs. If I return to New Orleans, I would not think of another hotel for this one is excellent.

Room Tip: Read Trip Advisor for the comments of others that have stayed here
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Twin Lakes, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Hadn't stayed here since Katrina, so it was wonderful to be back. Great location in the Quarter and within walking distance of the entire quarter. Service is excellent and the breakfast is very good. Just make sure you aren't in room 104 as it is right next to breakfast area and is very noisy and has a very musty smell. The courtyard rooms are really nice and it is like stepping back in time sitting in the courtyard.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitewater, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I had a great stay at this hotel. The balcony provided a great view of the quarter. Hotel amenities were fine. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the service solid. I would absolutely stay here again as the location is perfect!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jarvis R
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We needed a place to stay for Thursday night, as we arrived the day before a conference with hotel. This was perfect for our needs, as it was at a reasonable rate. Being our first time in New Orleans, the location is perfect, right in the heart of the French Quarter. It would've been hard to find a better location without the noise of Bourbon St.

The hotel itself is cool, exactly what you expect for a French Quarter hotel. It's pretty old but well maintained, and you enter your room through the large courtyard in the middle. The room itself wasn't all that great, maybe a bit musty but we weren't deterred. It was definitely bigger than your typical chain or boutique hotels so that's a plus.

There was also a complimentary breakfast with European style pastries, bagels, and jus. I'd come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
pontoon beach, il
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our regular "chick trip" to New Orleans would not be complete without a stay at the Place d'Armes! Our interior rooms are quiet, clean and well appointed. Almost all the staff is amazing. The Bell Captans are the best! The staff welcomes us back and offers us wonderful advice about bars, restaurants and transportation. Best location ever!

Room Tip: We like the quiet interior rooms!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends