“Charming old hotel but...”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #39 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Meridian, Idaho
“Charming old hotel but...”
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed on the nights of July 26th and 27th.

Went in with an open mind knowing that this hotel was very old. Loved the courtyard and the look of the exterior of the buildings.

Showed up for our room at 4 pm only to be told that we'd have to wait another 25 minutes as our room was not cleaned yet. We did not get into our room until an hour later.

Found there to be a very strong odour of oil (not cooking but refined) in the room. There had been a major oil spill out on the Mississippi River three days previously however this odour was not in the air outside so where was the smell of oil in the room coming from? Also noticed cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and from the ceiling fan. Rather than fitted sheets being used on the bottom of the bed, top sheets were used. Pillows definitely need to be replaced. Each night I had to ask for an extra set of towels and washclothes as there were three of us in the room and we were only given a towel and washcloth for two despite having two double beds in the room.

As one poster pointed out, the continental breakfast consisted of croissants and a pastry along with butter, jam, coffee, orange juice and water.

• Liked — The courtyard was pretty
  • Disliked — Could have been a bit more clean and a bit more updated.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank idawmn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
CA
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Can you say repeat customer? This is absolutely the best hotel in the quarter~! Not only is the service excellent, but the staff are genuinely friendly, and helpful. We've stayed there several times over the years, and will stay at no other hotel! It's history and charm cannot be beat. We wrote another review back in May, not sure what happened to it, but want all to know that if you are looking for a taste of the "real" New Orleans, this is it folks. We love the courtyard, pool, gardens, balconies, and rooms. We've stayed in several different rooms, and they all worked fine. On this last trip we were in an inside room. It was lovely, quite, cool, and dark. Sigh...perfect for sleeping in or napping during the day. It had a great bathtub too. Although our favorite has an indoor balcony and outdoor as well, and sits right over the walkway to the courtyard. Perfect for people watching. It was wonderful to see some familiar friendly faces were still there after Katrina. Our last visit was the Christmas before that awful event. We are happy to say, everything in the quarter, and in general is ready for guests, and they welcomed us with open armes just like always. This hotel is also famous, Lestate, Lois, our favorite vampires loved in in Ann Rice's novels. It was also part of scenes from the film "Exit to Eden" starring Dan Akeroid and Rosie O'Donnel, and of course Dana Delany. The restaurant right next door Muriel's is the best. Forget those other overpriced places, you gotta try them, and they are just next door so you can enjoy cocktails without having to drive or anything. Happy Travels!

• Liked — Was such a good experience all around that we cannot choose just one thing
  • Disliked — stay was too short
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mistress_8
Zwolle, Netherlands
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We stayed here for 2 night and it was awesome.
We had probably the largest room in the hotel, 2nd floor in the main building, poolside and enjoyed every minute. A bit of a downer the windows did not open, but that's all.

Very friendly staff, really relaxing, nice comp. breakfast and a few yards away from everything you want to see in New Orleans. Bourbon Street, Jackson Square, the Mighty Missisippi, all just arround the corner.

We especially liked the courtyard and pool, were you could sit and relax a few steps down from our huge room.
I would recomend it to anybody, great hotel, fair prices.

• Liked — Location and friendliness staff
  • Disliked — Windows room would not open.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ta2Gerrit
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Place D'Armes can't be beat for location, history, charm and beauty. The Courtyard was enchanting and a quiet and cool refuge from the summer heat. The breakfast room was a nice place to people-watch in the morning and use the wireless internet (not available in all guest rooms - ask in advance if that's an important feature for you) and have some complimentary coffee and a pastry. While I was a bit disoriented from time to time from the lack of windows in my room, I was thrilled at the incredible affordability of the interior rooms. House-keeping was respectful of our do not disturb signs and did a fine job of keeping us in towels and clean sheets. The staff were efficient and friendly - I was there for two weeks and I started to feel like one of the family. I whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a classic/romantic New Orleans experience. If you want windows don't book an interior room, if you want silence perhaps a modern high-rise hotel is more your cup of tea. However, if you want total charm immersion (complete with the St.Louis Cathedral Bells and the sound of mule hooves passing out front), hospitality and the most perfect French Quarter location possible - then this is the place for you. I will be back whenever I can get there and I would recommend Place D'Armes to anyone who asked.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No windows in interior room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank MeauxsMom
Dallas
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I only stayed in New Orleans one night and picked the Place D'Arms based on reviews. My rate was $79/night and I stayed right above the front desk in room 229. It had a balcony and was beautiful queen bed. I expected sort of an older musty type room but was very surprised at the updated appearance of the interior of my room. Although it had that older style look to it, it ddn't feel dated at all. Looked classy and clean. The couryard looked beautiful but i didn't have much time to sit at the pool and enjoy it's beauty. I basically checked in and hit the town. I stumbled across "The Chart House" bar and started off meeting some locals and getting a game plan together. I took the St Charles light rail over to the Garden Distirct and went to have a drink at the "Columns Hotel". Very nice classic hotel with lot's of history and character. Then I headed back and made my way down Decatur St and headed over to "Frenchman St and just decided to go to the Apple Barrell based on someone's recomendation. Very cool little bar with live music. Cash only by the way. I walked over to bourbon just to see it at night. It lives up to it's reputation. All in all I must say that New Orleans lived up to my expectations perfectly. Normally you have lot's of ideas about how a place will be and you get let down in some way. Not in NO. It is exactly what you dream it will be like plus very friendly people.

• Liked — Character/Location/Price
  • Disliked — Parking Fees
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Wiz33
Landstuhl, Germany
Reviewed July 22, 2008

I surprised my husband with a trip to New Orleans in June, 2008, and we booked Place d'Armes based on the positive Trip Advisor reviews. I would echo most of what others have said. The location was stellar! It was right between Bourbon Street and the River and right on Jackson Square. We were able to easily walk everywhere. This was the best part of the hotel.

The price was decent. Breakfast consisted of coffee, OJ, and two options of store-bought pastries. Good to save a few bucks, but better to walk to Cafe du Monde two blocks away. Do not book for the free breakfast!

The room was o-k. It was NOT as nice as what was pictured on their website. But, we did get a quiet, courtyard room in the back, which was nice. If they just updated a few things the rooms would be much nicer. They could start with the bedding, which was pretty old, thin, and getting dingy. Pillows were old and flat. It definitely had character, but it could have a little more character with some updating.

The courtyards were nice and kept the hotel pretty relaxed and quiet. We didn't use the pool, but did read by it for an afternoon. The employees were generally extremely helpful and gave great recommendations.

The only problem I had was that two days before our scheduled stay we got an email saying that the reservation had been "cancelled". I had just called a day or two prior to confirm our reservation and to get the cheapest way from the airport (2 or more--take a cab!). Apparently there was a typo with my credit card and instead of calling me, they just cancelled it. Thankfully I was able to "re-book" them before the hotel itself was booked.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MBroyhill
Las Vegas
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Place d'Armes from 7/6/08 until 7/10/08. We enjoyed every moment of our stay at this beautiful hotel.

I contacted the hotel direct to book our reservations and put in my request for a balcony room. The hotel was upfront with me indicating the request would be noted, but could not guarantee. We travel quite a bit and I understand guarantees are not always possible.

Check in was a breeze. I actually found the old fashioned key charming and fitting with the ambiance of the hotel. We headed up to room 211. What can I say, an amazing room. A beautiful, good sized sitting room with the bedroom, king size bed, down the hall. Two double doors opened to a balcony, which ran the length of the room, overlooking a breath taking courtyard. The furnishing were perfect. I felt like I had stepped back in time.

The courtyards are beautiful and the pool, perfect. We spent time each afternoon just relaxing and enjoying the pool. A beautiful retreat.

We found all the staff to be friendly and outgoing. Every employee from maintenance to housekeeping to front desk were welcoming. They were all warm and gracious. Southern hospitality at it's best. Restaurant recommendations were great. We ended up having breakfast at The Old Coffee Pot every morning after the bellman recommended it. Dinner our last night was at Irene's, a local place recommended by the general manager. Thank you Bubby!

We will be returning to New Orleans and will absolutely stay at Place d' Armes again. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. I'm sure the chain hotels are fine with nice cookie cutter rooms. But if you really want to live a little bit of the past, check out this beautiful hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Would like to have stayed longer.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple