“We loved this gem of a hotel.”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #32 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Myself and two other ladies and a ten year old child stayed here on Sunday October 6th. Our five day cruise got shortened to three so we had to stay at several hotels from Friday night thru Monday morning. We saw this on the internet and thought it would be a great location for our pre -cruise stay and since we were headed to The Court of Two Sisters for Brunch .This location was perfect. We had a second floor interior room .Everything was so cute and comfy. The breakfast on Monday morning was a an excellent treat. We also loved the parking garage right at the hotel. We will be staying here again when in New Orleans. We LOVED the place...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank brenda1984

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Well we just finished another perfect week (Oct 13-18,2013 ) at the Place d'Armes. We have been coming here at least once a year for the last 8 yrs and have NEVER had a bad experience. Coming to this hotel is like coming home, the staff always makes us feel like family, with a smile and a friendly word. There has never been a problem that the staff has not taken care of immediately and many times they have gone above and beyond to make sure everything was right.

We usually stay in one of the balcony rooms, either on St. Ann or Chartres St., the balconies are just fabulous ... The one caveat about the balcony rooms is that they are on the street, so you will get "street" noise every morning, it is the sanitation trucks, the delivery people, even just people talking loud and laughing ... basicall just normal city sounds, they can be loud at times, it never bothered us, since we are usually up early and watching the city come to life with a cup of coffee is fun for us. If you want it quiet, then be sure to get an interior room, those rooms are quiet.

The rooms are comfortable and clean, if you really want to pick you will probably be able to find VERY small faults here and there ... It is a 200+ yr old building, but they have been updating everything .... The water pressure is great and the water is plenty hot .... The A/C is enough to turn the rooms into a freezer if you so desire ... Breakfast is a basic continental breakfast, with good coffee, orange juice and pasteries ... If you want more there are many restaurants within 100 yds or so of the hotel ...

The courtyard and the hotel property are always clean, with staff constantly cleaning up .... Trying to keep the pool spotless is a chore with all the trees and plants overhead, but things are pretty darn good ...

The location of this property is the best going ... Within a few 100 yds or so of Bourbon St and Cafe DuMonde .... Within a 100 ft of Jackson Square ... Right off of Royal Ave and all its shops and galleries .... If I had to place a hotel anywhere, this would be the place, cannot get more convenient ...

I will end this now, till next year, but I will state again, we have stayed here for some 40-50 nights over the last 8 yrs and I can truthfully say that there has never been a problem that the desk hasn't promptly taken care of, and gone out of there way to make us feel great ... If you want a 5 star luxury hotel with all the trimmings then this is not the property for you .... If you want a hotel that is very nicely priced and clean and friendly with an excellent location then this IS the place for you .... You will not be disappointed ....

Room Tip: Balcony rooms if you want to see life go by and don't mind some noise from the street .... Inter...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DMSMaven2011
Reviewed October 16, 2013

It is located SO CLOSE to Jackson Square! When planning for our trip, I didn't realize how small the blocks are in the French Quarter. We were just steps away from the artists and musicians at Jackson Square and a very short walk to Cafe du Monde Not to mention the lovely views at the heart of the French Quarter. The hotel was lovely. Our room was clean with newer furnishings. We requested a balcony room and spent a lot of time out there watching the people go by. We didn't have any trouble with noise and were still just a short walk to Bourbon Street. The free continental breakfast was not anything to write home about. We had the same premade danishes and mini muffins everyday. Still, it was convenient to be able to grab those things and then get on with our day rather than having to hunt down a place to have breakfast. We were unsure of where we would eat dinner one night and the front desk clerk was happy to suggest things to us and provide us with menus without us even having to ask. I would happily stay there again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MissAnneZZ
Reviewed October 15, 2013

perfect location!lafter 15x I find this to be best location!close to Jackson square, &Bourbon Street. The room was clean, the courtyard pretty & all well taken care of. But I must say this hotels greatest asset is their bell captin Cory. I have NEVER seen an employee so willing to go above & beyond before. Besides helping with our bags when our shuttle didn't show she callled a cab directly & asked him to rush us o the airport.even when off the clock she walked a lady down the street to a resturant to be sure she could get a table! Now the staff at the front desk was another story. 2 of the 4 I dealt with were awful. 1 every time acted like you were bothering her & the other kept saying she was there for 25yrs.while she spoke in a condecending manner. Joyce was nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Place D'Armes on August 23-27, 2013. This place was perfect for our extended weekend stay!
From the moment we walked in, the staff at the front desk was very cordial and serviceable.

We stayed in an interior windowless room. It was a decent size, clean and had the basic amenities (iron/board, dryer, and coffee maker).
The hotel has free wifi and at a good speed.
It's located a half block away from Jackson Square and world famous Café Du Monde.

The pool and courtyard are are very cozy, but with al there is to do in Nawlin's, we only stopped by tjere once.
We are repeat traveles to NO and have staued at places like Hotel St. Marie. This place was a bit quieter and in a better location.
Next time we go back, we'll choose a window room, but we are definitely going back to PDA!!

1  Thank Sergnava
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I recently returned from a three night stay at Place d’Armes Hotel. This is my fourth stay at this hotel and obviously I am very satisfied with my experiences. The hotel is located two blocks from Bourbon Street so it is far enough away from the craziness if you want some quiet, but close enough to provide easy access. It is also just ½ block from Jackson Square filled with street entertainers and artists through the day. The location and staff are the main reasons I keep returning to this hotel. It is tough to beat either for the reasonable price. The expensive convention hotels on Canal Street are a short 15 minute walk away.

The hotel itself is a combination of three different houses put together. That means there are three courtyards to hang out in. The one near the lobby has a pool located in the middle. It is small but I am sure it would be a welcome dip during the hot summer months. The courtyards are filled with plants, fountains and moss. If you have a problem with moss or mold you may have a tough time here (really anywhere in New Orleans).

The rooms are all very clean and nicely furnished. Do keep in mind that these buildings are old. If you are on a bottom floor you can hear the people above you walking around fairly easily. Luckily I’ve never had “party animals’ above us during any visit. The bathrooms are good sized and the water pressure is good. I also like the fact that there was a safe in the room.

Breakfast is provided each day and included in the cost of the room. The fare is very simple; some Danish, a few muffins, some apples and coffee/tea. After two days you really need something else to be honest. Luckily there are several restaurants within a block or two and Café Du Monde is only a 2 minute walk away. They have two large breakfast rooms to eat in and chairs/tables scattered around the various court yards to eat outside in. They also have coffee available throughout the day.

The staff is very helpful with suggestions for meals and tours. Car parking is available but expensive ( I think it is $25 per day). We have had great experiencers at this hotel and will return on our next trip to New Orleans.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise (light sleeper), ask for a room on the second or third floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nuggetboy
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I went there on a quick weekend trip and this was my first time staying here, and this hotel was on my bucket list for a while. The room was small, but quaint, exactly what I expected and was looking for. The bathroom was on the small side, but the shower head was strong and that is a huge plus in my book. The bed was extremely comfortable, as was the pillow. My room was on the 3rd floor in the rear left corner, I think 323. This room had no windows. Some may think that this bad, I loved it because my room was pitch black and I had the best sleep!!! The court yard is very old and cozy, you can tell the bricks have been here for a long time and have seen many travelers and history. The pool is small but good enough for cooling off and was sipping a drink in. I do study up on hotels in NO and know that this is a haunted hotel, even though the staff denies that there are ghost. I was hoping to hear something or see something strange, but nothing on this trip. This was a school for boys at one time and burnt during one of the fires of NO. Several children died as well as the school's headmaster. There are many stories that refer to people hearing noises of children or even seeing the headmaster. As for location you are steps from Jackson's Square and 2 blocks from Bourbon. There are a few other hotels that have a slightly better location, but this one is slightly off the main road to avoid hearing the noises of people partying yet close enough to make it to Bourbon with out your drink getting warm in the process. The bell hop was very nice, and worked hard for his tip, the front desk lady was polite and nice, as was the one who check me out. For the price <$140 you get a very charming and quaint hotel with a nice courtyard for relaxing in. The parting was $30 but you will be hard pressed to find cheaper in a secure location so don't worry too much about it. Now I could not connect to the wifi with my Ipad, but I was not too concerned with that due to the fact I wanted to disconnect and walk the Quarter. I am sure that I could have went to the front desk and they would have walked me through the connection process if needed. This one is still on my list to visit again and will be watching the prices to see when to book it again. The front desk did say that there are balcony rooms but they are not listed on any of the booking sites like Hotels or Orbits, so call if you want to book a balcony, but the total black out rooms are very nice.

Room Tip: There are haunted rooms, ask for them.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple