“Location, location, location”

Ranked #38 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Temperance, Michigan, United States
“Location, location, location”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights over Easter weekend, we didn't plan on staying in our room much so location was a big consideration when deciding where to stay in New Orleans. The hotel is close to everything! I loved how close it was to Jackson Square and the waterfront. The hotel staff was fantastic as well, giving us recommendations for where to get the best clams at and where to get a great bloody mary! We loved our time sent in New Orleans and the Place d'Armes was a charming "home" base for us to explore the city from. We would not consider staying anywhere else on our next visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
Scott Township, PA
Reviewed April 11, 2013

It was the week before Super Bowl when we took a detour on our trip to the southern states to visit New Orleans. We were worried about finding a hotel, but it wasn't a problem.

We stopped at the Louisiana Welcome Center, right outside of New Orleans. The cheerful woman at the desk went out of her way to be helpful; she even booked a hotel for us.
We stayed at the Place D'Armes, which is located on St. Ann Street, at Jackson Square.

Place D'Armes is right in the heart of the French Quarter. From our vantage point, we were able to walk to all the local attractions, including the French Market, Cafe Du Monde, and all the fantastic restaurants. The hotel is charming -- a gracious example of old New Orleans architecture, impeccably restored with many of the furnishings intact.

Our room was small, but stylishly decorated and immaculately clean. It was an "interior" room with no windows, but we didn't mind. In fact, we appreciated the peace and quiet at the end of each day.

There was an elegant brick and stone courtyard in the back of the hotel where we could sit and have coffee in the morning or relax in the evening before going back to our room. The courtyard was lovely, with well-trimmed shrubs and vines; brilliant-colored flowers; a small pool; a fountain; and statuary. It reminded me of something right out of a novel about the old South.

A continental breakfast was included. It was served in a beautiful room tastefully furnished with lustrous woodwork and period furnishings. The breakfast was simple but satisfying.

The staff -- including a bellhop -- was courteous and friendly. We were very pleased with the price, too. The cost of our room was only $59.00 per night, plus $28.00 to park our car in the hotel garage. This was a plus, since it's difficult to get around New Orleans in a car and it can be very expensive to park.
The only drawback was that if we wanted something from the car, we couldn't get it ourselves.
An attendant would get it for us and then, of course, we'd have to tip him. Fortunately, we only had to do that once.

The desk manager told us that our hotel was owned by a realty company which also has several other similar properties in the area. Good to know!

Our stay in New Orleans was a lot of fun, with all the Super Bowl and pre-Mardi Gras activity.
After sampling all the delights of the city, it was comforting to know that at the end of each day we had a room in a handsome hotel to which we could return.

It was our second visit to NOLA and if we return we'll definitely stay at Place d'Armes Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows have a view of street activity. Interior rooms are insulated from the noise and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lebanon, Tennessee
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights. The location is amazing. Everything in the quarter is within walking distance. Lynn (at the front desk) was nice and attentive. Chris took our bags for us and he was nice aswell. The front desk staff at night was not attenive at all and compleatly ignores us when we came and went. The courtyard is beautiful and I loved having breakfast there. The continental breakfast consisted of croissants and danish, coffee, and orange juice. I recommend this hotel for the location. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We normally stay at the Bourbon Orleans when going to New Orleans, but we decided to try something less expensive so we could stay an extra day. Place d'Armes is in a great French Quarter location...rock throwing distance from Jackson Square. We had a Balcony Room the first night...it was a really neat room! Had huge windows that you go through to get to the balcony. The sounds of the city could be heard from inside the room, which was good and bad. The bathroom was very dated and the bed was beyond uncomfortable...thank goodness for alcohol! Once the weekend rolled around, we had to move to an interior room...which we knew was going to happen when we made reservations. It was a dungeon with no windows. The bathroom was a little better, but the bed was the same...horrible! All in all, we liked the hotel. Some new carpet, a new bed and maybe a little bathroom renovation would make this hotel a much better place to stay. Was it worth getting an extra night in NOLA...absolutely! Would I stay there again...maybe.

Room Tip: Get the Balcony Room...very cool!
1 Thank Chingadero
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at the Place D' Arms over Easter weekend. he location of the Hotel is convenient to everything. You can pick up tours just around the corner and is convenient to the only little grocery store formerly A&P. The rooms are comfy, cozy, and are authentically New Orleans French Quarter. Hotel was quiet as it's location is a few steps from Bourbon street. There is a charming courtyard with a small swimming pool. The pool could have periodically been scooped for leaves...
otherwise clean. We had a room on the third floor. I do not advise staying on the third floor. The bathroom shower left little to be desired as the water pressure was very low. It was not an enjoyable experience. The air conditioning works well for being on an upper level. There also was an elevator which made it nice near our room. (elevator was quiet, no complaints here).
The only thing I absolutely detested was the continental breakfast.... minimal.....it was the lesser of two evils....danish or muffins...of which I eat neither, coffee and tea, thank heavens for the orange juice! Then off to eat beignets....
Taxi's has a bit of a rough time getting to the hotel beacause of the one way streets.

Room Tip: rooms toward the courtyard are quiet, stay lower than the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed April 7, 2013

First of all, they are a great Hotel and I should recommend it to everyone as a 1st option when you are looking for an hotel at the French Quarter

EXTRAORDINARY PROS
1) Location: Unbeatable!!!, 2 blocks from Bourbon, you are almost there but at the same time you can sleep without the Bourbon Hotels noise. Also you are at Jackson Square with Cafe Du Monde, the Mississippi, French Market just around the corner.

2) Building: beautiful, with an open yard in the middle, the bricks all around!!!.

OTHER PROS
1) Rooms: you have some kind of options to choose, interior, suites, balcony. Some people complaint about the interior rooms but they are really clear on their websites about what would you find in those kind.
2) Parking: it's not cheap ($32 every night) but you have it, also you have as an option a parking garage 2 blocks from the hotel that is less expensive.

So I had some kind of intrigue of how with that location and beautiful buildings they are not at the Top 5 TA hotel ratings, and they have consistently 4 star ratings here in TA, so this is my conclusion:

They are a great hotel, probably they have everything to be the greatest one of NO but:
1) Old TV at the room.
2) My bathroom doors have no privacy, so if you share a room with a friend if you want some privacy (believe it or not), send him to the yard, you feel almost like if your toilet is without doors.
3) Breakfast: extremely simple, I know that eating in an hotel with those delicious restaurants around NO must be a sin (specially with Stanleys) but they sure they can give more options.
4) No travel guide in your room!!!!
5) They mentioned they have balcony rooms but in my case I ended paying $300 for night for a shared balcony that I can't access directly from my room.
6) Beds: With a huge room and a high price I should expect big beds, not just 2 queen beds.

Those are probably minor pros, and when I come back to the city or give advice this would be my 1st option, but clearly if they want they could be the 1st NO hotel, but their management probably feels comfortable having a sellout hotel and being the 25 hotel of the beautiful NO.

Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I booked this hotel months ago. Due to a change in financial circumstances, I called to cancel and thought that was the end of it. About three weeks ago (4+ months after the cancellation), I get a charge from this hotel confirming my upcoming stay. I call to find out what was going on and was told that they didn't have a cancellation on record and unless I could provide the cancellation number and the agent I spoke with, I was on the hook for the night's deposit.

I am an avid traveler and have NEVER not cancelled a reservation when I've found the need to cancel. Usually I'll receive an email confirmation of the cancellation, but this hotel DOES NOT provide such things and expects the customer to hold on to cancellation numbers and employees' names months after cancelling with them.

Lenny (the manager) was unyielding, a bit rude and refused to refund my night's deposit. I emailed the hotel for reconsideration, but no one has bothered to respond to my inquiry. I just can't understand a hotel being so unaccommodating. I will never book with them again and will caution others away from this hotel.

4 Thank ChocLot