“Average hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #39 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
SoCal
“Average hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great location, right off Jackson square - you can't get more central than this. Nice court yard. We had no issues with the front desk, on the contrary, the bell desk was very helpful in calling cabs and helpful with other information.
Now you just need to figure out how much "charm" you can handle. Not all rooms are created equal. First room was a junior suite but had no windows so it was like being in a cave. Also bathroom was tiny, no counter top space. Second room (we went to Layfette for a few days in between stays), also a junior suite, we requested a window, and the room was much better, larger bathroom and windows overlooked the courtyard.
The hotel was very dated, way past the point of charming. I know this is the french quarter and I have definately stayed in worse hotels so I'm keeping the local comparisons in mind. Just make sure your expectations are set especially looking at all the great reviews (this is all about location). Housekeeping cleanliness was just ok. They would forget towels, carpet did not really look clean (not just worn), and they would not get done until very late in the day.
Just make sure you are picturing a very average (at best) room in a superior location.

Room Tip: Ask for a window overlooking court yard.
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

DH and I stayed at this hotel from 12/1 to 12/8/12. The hotel style is very much NOLA. We found the employees to be very helpful and nice. Our room was #124 in one of the back buildings. The courtyard was right out our door. We were told it was the old "slave" quarters. The room was good sized. The bed was ok. I liked the fact that the sink and hair dryer were outside of the bathroom because I could be drying my hair while DH was showering.

The hotel is very centrally located in the FQ right off Jackson Square. It's two blocks to Bourbon St. Close to the river and an easy walk to the French Market and the Riverwalk Street Car line. Muriel's is right there.

The hotel is nice and very NOLA. It could use a little sprucing up. It is not upscale if that is what you are looking for. We had a great stay. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel consists of 4 buildings surrounding a commom court yard. The main buiding has an elevato...
Plano, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Have stayed here the past few years and love the location. Hotel was fairly quiet while we were there even though they were booked. The only real complaint that we have is the front desk. Three different women on different shifts and all were rude. The first one who should have greeted us when we first arrived only wanted to know our last name and wanted our credit card. No hello, no welcome, and we were the only ones in the lobby. Don't expect much there. On the other hand, the bellman were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The street rooms with a balcony.
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I spent a week in New Orleans and spent the last 2 nights at Place d'Armes Hotel. We absolutely loved the location. It is basically in Jackson Square so it's central to everything. It made walking to each end of the quarter a breeze. We went to see Jazz in the Park one Thursday in Armstrong Park and it was straight up the street from the hotel. Super easy.

We had an interior room w/no windows. This was not a problem for us for two nights, but if we come back, I'll pay for a room with a window. Even the interior rooms offer access to a shared balcony overlooking Jackson Square. The room was nice and we liked the high ceilings. The bed was not as good as the previous hotel, but not terrible.

The only thing I didn't like about the room, and the only reason I would not get an interior room again was that there was little to no room to walk by one side of the bed. There was not enough room for a bedside table. I turned a trashcan upside down next to the bed to put my phone charger and glasses next to me at night. Also, it was such a tight squeeze to walk by that I stubbed my toes on the bedframe and the door to the bathroom that is wedged between the wall and the bed.

The rest of the room is a standard hotel room with an amazing location and gorgeous courtyard. I heard the sound of the curch bells in the morning and it made me smile to know it was right outside my door. Makes you know you're in Jackson Square.

We didn't have the continential breakfast because we were in New Orleans, ya know? We had one breakfast at Stanley! restaurant next door and it was crazy good.

We're already looking at dates to return! (We stayed November 8-9, 2012.)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This is such a beautiful hotel! The courtyard is a perfect place to relax. The location is perfect - right in the heart of the French Quarter, but that also means that it is loud. I read other reviews that said it wasn't bad. I disagree with that but would still stay here. Maybe a courtyard facing room would be quieter. But really, this is a great place to stay!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We have just spent a great 8 nights at the Place d'Armes Hotel, the location is very central just off Jackson Square and only 2 blocks away from the high life of Bourbon Street. When we arrived we did not get the room we expected ie no wireless Internet but the staff were very helpful and moved us as soon as possible on our third day. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairhope, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I have stayed at Place d'Armes previously and just spent last night there. The place is in need of a total renovation. I went out early this morning to the Cafe du Monde and had to step over drunks sleeping on the sidewalks in the vicinity of the hotel. The room was very shop worn and I will not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo