“An oasis of tranquility”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #36 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
York, United Kingdom
“An oasis of tranquility”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I read an awful lot about this place before deciding upon it and I am so glad I did.

I have to admit that I thought that the proximity to Burbon Street and the tales of emptying dustbins outside would cause me problems (as I've ears that could make a bat seem deaf), but they did not. I had rung up the place initially and found them really helpful and as time got nearer, I emailed them to say what sort of room I would like. This was one of the areas in which they almost lost a mark. The person who replied to me just said "we do not book specific rooms until you arrive, but we will take a note of what sort of room you would like for when you arrive". This seemed to contradict a lot of the reviews below and I told them that and that I was concerned about turning up late on a Friday of festival and that my room might be..less than ideal.

However, I need not have worried, as the room I had (Room 124) was ideal. It was on the "second courtyard", which is separated from the main swimming pool area by a narrow passageway which leads to a courtyard that parallels the main one (but which is narrower). Only thing that gave me concern was a bar area that backed onto our room and some scaffolding down the courtyard. However the bar is not in use, so was not a problem. Not sure I would have heard it anyway, as it backed on to our bathroom.

Corrie (?) the attendant / bell hop was really friendly and informative throughout. She refused a tip from us as she said it was too high. She was the best person they had there without doubt. She made it feel like home. She couldn't do enough for us and her tips were always dead on the money. Without her, they would have lost a star for sure... in both senses.

The room was large and the bed comfortable, though we asked for more hangers. We also had trouble with the hot water for a day or two until we realised that the taps all run cold for a while until one (in our case the nearest), runs hot. Could have maybe used another pillow too, but we asked for that and got it. There was a safe in the room, and although there was no fridge, there was an ice machine which we used to fill our cool bag. The room had a TV (we never used it), coffee machine, air con and bath / shower.

First night we had a huge storm and I thought "great its noisy" before I realised it was a storm and not a party. I also could hear a family above us to the extent I could hear their footsteps and their conversations, but it wasn't too bad. I really am a light sleeper (and wear ear plugs every night), so if this is a huge concern, then book a second floor room. I did not find it caused a problem for me though.

I've read reviews saying the pool was dirty. This just isn't true. The pool is surrounded by trees which overhang it and it looks lovely as a consequence. Its therefore got some leaves in it most of the time, but I found I could easily clear these out in 10 minutes. The pool is also salt water which is worth remembering. There are 4 sun loungers and 4 tables around the pool. It never got overly busy and although small, it did what it needed to do which was cool us down. we were there all hours and even after 11 when it was a small intimate area. I was not aware of any people being raucous or badly behaved at all while there.

Breakfast was not my thing at all. It was continental. So you had a muffin, croissant, pastry thing, fruit (apple and orange), fruit juice and tea and coffee. I skipped it after my first day and just had a fruit juice or a coffee in the room. You could drop a star for this if you MUST have breakfast, but for me it wasn't an issue. I didnt like it much, but that is me. You could get free coffee in this area 24/7. Oh and there were overpriced vending machines next to the ice machine, but I'd recommend a nearby market.

As I say, the place was an oasis. We would come in from the baking heat and enter the courtyard and would feel like home. The rooms are nothing special, but they are nice and cool (aircon is a bit noisy I thought), and the staff couldn't do enough for us. The cleaning staff were nice and friendly too. It really was a little sanctuary. Whenever I saw the fiickering lights outside the Place D'Armes, I really did feel I'd got home.

Last day, they had builders in working around the scaffolding and they started banging and crashing at 9am. Were I staying that day and tired, then I would have been... unimpressed. This should not happen in a hotel and hopefully they will read this and take note. Anything before 10 is unacceptable and even then, they need to tell people its going to happen.

Couple of times we had people outside our room at "our" table. But we went out and chatted to them and it was all fine. I didnt like it when the builders were outside our room chatting.

So, it has its flaws (emailing sucked, noise from upstairs, builders), but overall, the friendliness, location and the feeling of tranquillity more than made up for the flaws... hence full marks from a picky traveller.

Oh and location was SPOT on...

Room Tip: 124 is ground floor, second courtyard. I asked for a quiet room and got this. No view to speak of, b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

You couldn't ask for a better location in the French Quarter! We had a window room, and it was clean and well-decorated. We didn't expect high-dollar antique decor, since the room was affordable and not outrageously priced, and we were pleased with what we got. My husband and I have traveled a lot, so you come to know what to expect within certain dollar ranges. Place d'Armes didn't disappoint! Everything was clean, the staff was pleasant and knowledgeable, the courtyard was lush and serene, the pool was clean. And for being so close to Jackson Square it was really quiet! The only negatives we found were the bed springs were busted and quite saggy, but neither of us had a problem sleeping on it. And there was construction on a nearby building that started, loudly, at 8:00 in the morning. But I wouldn't think twice about staying there again!!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank fantsypants
Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Check in took a lot longer that it should have. More staff is needed to make sure rooms are ready, but this is a great place to stay. The location is perfect. It's clean, the staff is attentative, and the courtyard is beautiful. Great place to relax. I've been staying there for years, and every time I leave, I can't wait to get back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank the_steeles
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 2 times during my trips to New Orleans over the years. This hotel has a lot of good memories for me. It also has one of the most beautiful courtyards at a hotel I have seen. You can simply open your door to it and listen to the sounds of the fountains only feet from your doors. The staff was always accomodating and very helpful. Unfortunately during my last several trips to NOLA, it has been hard to get a good room so I have stayed elsewhere. That is for good reason though.....it is still one of the best.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jcoff2003
texas
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at Place d' Armes. The front desk was nice and helpful every time we needed anything. The room was very old french, very clean with a nice bathroom. The TV was small, but we weren't there to watch tv. The courtyard was very beautiful with lots of greenery. The pool was only 5 feet and there were kids in it everyday, but no one was a bother. The hotel set up our tours and we were picked up and brought back. Driving and parking is crazy there. They have a garage right out front to pull in. Bourbon Street was a block away, but from the room you couldn't hear anything. The free breakfast was muffins, juice and coffee and the ice machine was broken. I loved the pictures so much I didn't really price around so I'm not sure what other hotels cost. $179 was what we paid and I feel it was worth it.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank manny5
Avon, Indiana
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel was perfect for our first trip to New Orleans. To say the location is excellent is an understatement. You walk out of the front door, make a left and you are just a hop, skip, and jump away from Jackson Square. We booked an interior room with no windows, and we actually enjoyed it. We were on the third floor at the back of the hotel, our room was quiet at night, and since it had no windows there were no distracting lights in the middle of the night to keep my husband awake. Just down the hall was a small balcony with chairs and an excellent view of the cathedral and the street. Some of front desk staff was iffy, if you smiled and said "hello", they would respond back, but they wouldn't go out of their way to greet you. They were having a bit of a rough time (apparently there was a bad storm that knocked out their computer system causing problems with room keys) and had quite a few upset guests. However, if we asked a question they would help us, but they could use a few customer service classes, or just a refresher in general etiquette. However, the bell hops make up for the front desk staff. They were prompt, friendly, and always had a "hello" and a smile for us. We never used the pool, because it was often occupied with kids and we just had better things to do. The courtyard was beautiful, and we would often just sit and enjoy the day in between going out on the town. Breakfast was ok if you are just looking for some fuel for the day. We rented a car one day and parking at the hotel for the night was a breeze.

Room Tip: The third floor at the back of the hotel was excellent. And the balcony had a great view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CorgiGirl39
Florence, Italy
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Awesome location.
Loved the courtyard and the pool. I went for a dip and it was lovely.
Short walk to restaurants, Bourbon Street, Jackson Square, Cafe du Monde.
Would stay here again.
Parking garage for car.
Felt safe and breakfast was good!

Room Tip: We had an interior room with no windows but was very quiet so didn't mind not having access to a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple