“Location great, courtyard fantastic, room okay”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #34 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 23, 2007

If you want to be in the heart of the historic French Quarter, there is no way to improve on the location of this hotel. Just check a Google map and you'll see what I mean.

The courtyard is also a lovely example of a historic French Quarter staple. This is the real thing, folks, not some Disneyesque approximation. The hotel has two courtyards. The larger one has a pool, but both are beautiful and relaxing. You can't leave the hotel without walking past the pool, so don't feel as though you have to ask for a "pool view."

The hotel comprises several old buildings around two small courtyards. From the reviews I've read here, I get the feeling that the rooms themselves are hit-or-miss. Even though I booked months in advance, I was given a first floor room that, while clean, was a little worn down. It looked like it had last been remodeled in the '60's or '70's. Water pressure and temperature were fine. Biggest disappointment: the "exposed brick" wall was painted brick, which really diminished the charm of staying in an historic property.

If I ran the hotel I would refurbish the rooms and increase the rates to recoup the costs. If I were staying at the hotel again I'd ask to see other available rooms before accepting one.

I would not be afraid to stay at the hotel again. Parking, at $22 a night is a decent deal for the Quarter, and I do believe the staff is trying to provide a good experience.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank David_and_Allison

Reviewed October 14, 2007

Do not stay in a lower level room especially room 108 near the pool/courtyard! Horrible mold smell/problem. We had to move to the 4th level to a room with no courtyard view, but not being around the mold was worth not having a view of the courtyard if you can image that. The manager was only able to credit us $20 a night, which was more then if we would have booked a 4th level room with no view prior. Great Location. Beautiful grounds. The room we ended up staying in was decent. Would stay again because of the location and price, but I would check the from 1st before paying.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank riishthrush
Reviewed October 11, 2007

Ah, New Orleans

New Orleans is back baby ! The staff and rooms at the Place De Armes are great. Location is super......Great cental spot for all of your French Quarter activies.

Kudos to the managment.

Basinger family.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank buck9
Reviewed October 9, 2007

We just got back from staying three days at the Place d'Armes Hotel and everything was wonderful. The hotel is just like, if not better, than before Katrina. We go to New Orleans every year and always stay at this hotel if there is availability. The rooms are alway nice and clean and the courtyards are beautiful. The continental breakfast is delicious. We will stay here again and again.

The Basingers from Georgia

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank Dothan45
Reviewed October 8, 2007

My friend and I just spent four days at the Place d'Armes in NOLA. This is not the first time I've stayed there (as a matter of fact, its about th 7th or 8th time), but it was the first time for my friend. I kept telling her that this hotel is unlike any other she's ever stayed in. The Place d'Armes lived up to my bragging. She couldn't stop exclaiming over the place.

If you are looking for a hotel with ballrooms, restaurants, a spa, an olympic size pool and mini-bars, then this is not for you. But, if you are looking for the most convenient, friendly, "New Orleansly" hotel, then stay here. Living in this hotel is what it must of been like over a hundred years ago when the wealthy families lived in the French Quarter and did their living within the interior courtyard of their home. The only differences are that the rooms are air conditioned, 70+ TV stations, electricity and in-door plumbing. The hotel, while keeping the charm of "old new orleans" is thoroughly modern with almost every room being a little different from any other.

I always ask for a patio room either on or overlooking the interior foliage filled patio and swimming pool. The atmosphere and character are old New Orleans and the staff is so helpful and friendly that when you get back to the hotel, you just want to sit in the small, intimate lobby and talk with them.

Convenient? Less than 50 yards from Jackson Square and the St. Louis Basilica. Less than a block and a half from the Cafe du Monde and the Mississippi River Levee. Half a block from the art galleries on Rue Royal and a block and a half from Bourbon Street. Yet, no noise filters down to the hotel. When you are in the interior courtyard, you don't hear much at all.

One of the best facilities is the indoor, valet parking. The attendant takes your car up on the elevator and brings it down whenever you need it. Both the bell staff and front desk staff act as consierge and happily make any arrangements you need made; whether it be a jazz cruise on the Steampboat Nachez, a restaurant reservation, or even an airboat road down in the bayous. (See if you can get Felix to handle your airboat)

While they do serve complimentary juice, coffee, sweet rolls and croissants, I always go for a walk/run (emphasize walk) on the levee and then stop at the Cafe du Monde for Cafe au Lait and bignets. In the same building is Muriel's restaurant if you don't want to go far for lunch or dinner. Less then 100 yards down St. Ann St. is the River's Edge restaurant which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. And only a 10 minute walk on Decatur is Central Grocery, home of the mufalatta. Just get there early before they run out.

I hesitate to write this review because i am afraid that the Place d'Armes will get too popular and I won't be able to get a reservation in the two or three rooms I like the best.

The other thing is the price. It is very, very reasonable for New Orleans. Sunday through Thursday I have gotten prices as low as $79/night. On weekends or during special events the prices do go up, but usually less than the "name brand" hotels.

If you'd like to contact me with questions or you'd like more information, I would be glad to hear from you at
d.silver@roadrunner.com

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank poppoprichmondky
Reviewed October 5, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Place D'Armes for $116 a night (AAA discount) in September 2007. Check-in went smoothly. The hotel is 1/2 block from Jackson Square, which was great. We stayed in room 321, which faced the noisy side street. Not noisy because of cars, but noisy because of the people drinking to all hours of the morning on the patios opposite the hotel.

Inner court yard was very nice.

Pool was fine, minus the 3 large tiles missing from the upper side.

ROOM: The room was clean. One issue is one of the windows was level with the public patio that faced the side street. If you are concerned about people being able to see in from the patio, you had to keep the window closed, which made for a dark room.

BATHROOM: Dated, but clean.

BED: The queen size bed must have been at least 20 years old as it was EXTREMELY soft. If you have any type of back problems or desire hard beds, do not stay at this hotel! I am guessing all the other beds are similar to the one we had.

WALLS: The walls of the hotel were paper thin; I swear there was no insulation in the walls! You could hear everything/everyone outside of your room . Not nice when it is 4:30AM and your across the hall neighbor is cursing because he lost his cell phone, nor when all the true drunkards come home after 4:30AM either. Or when you want to sleep past 8:00AM and there are people who are going out onto the balcony!

CHECK OUT: It went smooth. However, if you expect to be able to print your boarding passes, do not stay here.

Receptionist-"Oh, I don't have access to the Internet."

Me-"I saw a computer in the manager's office, can't I use that?"

Receptionist- "The manager is at lunch, you can't use it and you can't print your boarding passes."

What hotel doesn't offer a complimentary computer where you can at least print out your boarding pass or at least print it out for you?

The taxi for the hotel, which the hotel scheduled, was on time.

I definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a decent nights sleep and a hard bed!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank divjam
Reviewed September 23, 2007

This was our third stay in New Orleans and our second in the French Quarter. We had previously stayed at the Prince Conti 4 years ago and enjoyed it so we thought to try the sister hotel Place d'Armes for the Jackson Square location and the beautiful enclosed courtyard. Our room #225 was facing the back courtyard and was very quiet and peaceful. The many tables and chairs in the lush courtyard gifted us with some of the most tranquil leisure in our stay. My wife and I were here 3 days for our 20th anniversary and we were within easy walking distance to some of the very finest restaurants in the Quarter. The front desk provided excellent consierge service in booking the tours we wanted. The hotels and restaurants of the Quarter are leading the charge for the recovery of the rest of the area. We will return.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple