“So glad I didn't change my mind about staying!!”

New Orleans Guest House
Ranked #60 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Riverside, Alabama
“So glad I didn't change my mind about staying!!”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

What this little place lacked in a few areas...it more than made up for with character and great service. I read a few recent reviews on here after the management change and had almost decided to stay somewhere else...but we are very happy we discovered this little hideaway. The location is perfect. Far enough away to not be bothered...but close enough to walk to everything. The rooms are old! The house is OLD (And amazing)! The bed was comfortable. It is like visiting Grandma's house. Philip was so helpful...He more than made up for the need of a few touch ups here and there. We will definitely make this our home while in NOLA. Can't wait to stay in all the rooms and pick a favorite. We stayed in 10 this trip.

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Jeannie G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Definitely plan on staying here again - We came to New Orleans for a weekend getaway and loved staying here. It isn't a 5-star experience by any means but so perfect for what we were looking for. Comfortable room, clean, and a quick breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beckhow
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The management at New Orleans Guest House doesn't seem to care about customers at all. They're rude and condescending, even when correcting their mistakes (e.g. no toilet paper in the room), or asking a simple question (like "what time does breakfast close?"). Housekeeping is vitually non-existent. All they do is make the bed and fold the towels. The towels are so old and scratchy I couldn't tell if they were given us new towels or just folding up our old ones. They never vacuumed during our stay, not even to remove dead insects. They never once replaced the toilet paper, soap, or any other basic necessity.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Murs2014
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The previous reviews are glowing, so it must be the new management. We were charged extra for double room occupancy presumably for the "continental breakfast" which consisted of packaged pastries (honey buns) and Otis Myer packaged muffins. There were stale croissants as well. All were served on the very dirty patio where the owners also had out cat food and garbage.

The room was in ill repair, the electrical outlets did not even work. There were holes in the towels and bed spread. The sheets were like sand paper and the mattress was very old and uncomfortable. The shower curtain, shower curtain rod, and shower curtain rings were dirty. They do not have central air and heat so the rooms have window units. The carpet is stained and frayed.

Finally, DO NOT PAY $20 to park a day. There's free parking on the street right in front of the hotel.

The location is pretty good, but the rest of it feels like a rip off.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Whitneynoelle
Chelsea, Alabama
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here because it was pretty cheap, decent location and good reviews. Upon arrival, we learned that the front desk manager had just started that day and the original owners sold that morning to a competitor. So needless to say, the front desk was attendant was new. We stayed in Room 5, upstairs with a balcony. The room was fine, bed was comfortable, had a flat screen TV with decent reception. The bathroom was dated and not very clean. The toilet had dry urine on the back and the bathtub had “stuff” that eventually found its way down the drain. My wife wanted me to say that the bed skirt was ripped that did not bother me. The breakfast out in the court yard was very good, hot croissant and fresh fruit with juice of juice, coffee, milk etc. The lady who prepped it was very nice. The location is ok, it gets a little “shady” or ghetto late at night, but this is NOLA so I can’t say I found that surprising. On the other hand, it is far enough out that you don’t have to listen to Bourbon Street but can easily walk the few blocks to it. It is also a 2 minute drive from Frenchman. Last, it seemed to me that the manager allowed his friends to wallow around, one of them sat on the stairs as we came down and did not get up and move, that kind of ticked me off, but some people are lazy.

I would not say “don’t stay here”, but would caution anyone that you get what you pay for. We did not feel like paying $200 for a hotel and this suited us just fine.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roxanneandrob
Jasper, Alabama
Reviewed July 1, 2013

It was a quaint place with a beautiful garden. 14 bedrooms and we stayed in Rm. 5 which has a balcony. The service was personal. The owner had some free time to orient us more of NOLA especially about the Mardi Gras. It worth it to stay there as it is just walking distance to most important places especially my favorite, Jackson Square (St. Louis Cathedral).

Room Tip: Room No. 5 because it has a balcony wherein you can also see some mini-hotels
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Based on the glowing reviews on this site, I stayed here for a 3 nights a few weeks ago.
The staff was very nice and helpful, but this place needs a good cleaning. I will never understand why more care is not taken... When I walked in, I was greeted by a cockroach which pretty much ruined my stay from the start. Maybe it was just my room, but the shades, the baseboards, everything just needed cleaning. It doesn't cost much to clean, just get off the couch and get it done. No way I would ever stay here again. It is very close to the Quarter, and parking if free.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business