“Nice hotel two minutes away from the Quarter”

JW Marriott New Orleans
Ranked #69 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I have been coming to this hotel for many years. I remember when it used to be a Le Meridien. Then it was the Grand Hotel, now the JW. I love the location. It is not IN the Quarter so you can get some sleep at night, but you can be IN the Quarter in two minutes walking. Also, all other highlights I want to visit in New Orleans are in walking distance. The hotel itself is probably four star, a boutique hotel. The rooms I get are always nice and my only complain could be that they don´t have a minibar that I can use as refrigerator. Complimentary bottles of water, ok pool, friendly staff, I can recommend it. I had one disappointing experience recently: I called the concierge and asked about where the free walking tour starts in the city and when. I could have googled it within a minute (if the room had free internet). But it took the concierge (it was the bell boy) over an hour and three calls to my room to get me the info, which proved to be totally wrong. That´s not to their normal standard. Also, they try to sell the tours at the desk, that they get a cut from (local operators). I insisted of using Grayline but they would not give me their brochure. I also asked for the next Bank of America ATM and was sent to the Mariott across the street, which did not have one. There is free wifi in the lobby. I wish they will soon put it in all the rooms. Also, the TV variety could have been bigger. The Shula steakhouse was really very expensive. Did not eat there but don´t understand why other people do. It is way overpriced.
I will definitely come back though on my next stay in the Big Easy. I payed 116 dollars a night for a twin room.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,445)

Reviewed September 11, 2010

As usual, the Marriott didn't disappoint. The room, a corner with a view of the river, was lovely. Spotlessly clean and inviting, the decor is soothing, modern with just that hint of New Orleans in the art. Do I need to mention the pillows and linens? If you don't know what I mean, please go stay!
Isabelle - concierge extraordinair - made sure that our anniversary was unforgettable. The chocolates and champagne were over the top! What an asset to the hotel and to New Orleans!
The location of the JW couldn't be much more pleasing - a short walk to the Quarter, the Roosevelt Hotel (for their incomparable Sazerac Cocktail) just up the street, the trolley to the Garden Dist. right out the front door.
Lovely stay, lovely hotel, lovely service. Will return!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2010

We stayed at JW Marriott for 2 nights. The property is very nicely decorated with crystal chandelier in the front lobby. The hallway leading from Canal Street to the lobby via the bar and the sitting area is beautiful with lots of art work on the walls. The front desk staff was friendly and attentive.
The room was quite roomy and modern and the bed was VERY comfortable. There were complimentary water bottles and coffee maker, and you can get also the complimentary newspaper from the lobby.
The very good restaurant, the Palace Cafe, is on the over side of the street. We had a Sunday brinch there ans the food was delicious, - the best eggs benedict ever.

Only negatives: The hotel did not offer free internet access, and the breakfast was not included in the room price.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I travel frequently to New Orleans and find this hotel to be consistently excellent. The bell hops and front desk teams are appropriately polite and excude southern charm. I have seen them treat business travelers and tourists with children equally with respect. I find the roooms to be clean and represent the JW Marriott brand very well. As a returning guest, I am often greated with a "wecome back" note, handy concierge lounge schedule and my preferences honored. I find the quality of bed linens and bath toiletries inviting and the views of NOLA from the upper floors wonderful. This last visit, I was on the 27th floor with views of Canal Street and the French Quarter. The location is an easy walk to the Central Business District, French Quarter, French Market and Harrahs. While there are some great restaurants in walking distance, I have also enjoyed the room service menu. During this visit I sampled the Shrimp Po Boy and Chicken Tenders with the Pepper Jelly. My server was very personable and helpful; and my meals came piping hot and prepared as requested. This is the only hotel I would stay at in New Orleans.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed the stay - staff could not have been more hospitable. Was in New Orleans for a quick family get-away and this location was perfect. Easy walking distance to the Riverwalk, the Quarter, and Jackson Square ( I've reached the age where the frozen coffee at Cafe DuMonde is easier than a hurricane!). Realy liked that you drop the car at the rear of the hotel and a main entrance at the front puts you right onto Canal Street at a prime spot.

Really pleased with the room - very lush accomodations throughout the hotel. Bathroom is a little bit of a squeeze if you've got multiple toiletry kits but not a major impact. Outdoor pool on 8th floor is really nice as we were able to actually catch a breeze and escape the mugginess after a long day. The hotel was pretty full due to a Saints/Texans pre-season game but there were never crowds or problems getting where you needed to be - maybe that's why it's the Big Easy.

The parking is a little on the high side of price ($32/night), but it was worth it to not hassle with parking and to worry about your vehicle's safety. I also like the Country Inn and Suites down on Magazine, but the JW is a class above.

Nawlins is back, folks - go check it out and stay at the JDub.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Right by the french quarter and trolley lines to get you to the garden district. Seems to be surrounded by other hotels. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Beds very comfortable and nice view down canal street. Used the pool--pretty small but wasn't too busy when used. Seems furniture was new and nice. Would stay here again

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The location of the hotel is great. It's a block and a half away from Bourbon Street. It's close enough but far enough away from the noise.

I was a little worried about the previous reviews regarding bed bugs, but thankfully no bed bugs during my stay. Our room was clean and plush. The only cons???? No free internet and no HBO on TV.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family