“Wonderful”

Ranked #63 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
High Desert, California
“Wonderful”
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Stayed at the JW Marriott for four days. The hotel was wonderful. The room was exceptionally clean (I'm very picky when it comes to cleanliness). Rented a car and used the valet parking. Was very impressed with the parking staff. They knew my name when I came for my car. They were extremely nice and made us feel so welcomed.
After touring all day, when I came back to the hotel every night, I was glad I chose the JW Marriott. Won't stay anywhere else from now on.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Indonesian first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2010

This is a great base for exploring the French Quarter. If you want to be right near the Quarter, but still be able to get a great night's sleep - this is THE place to stay. There are great hotels right within the Quarter. However, in many of these you will hear a lot of street noise throughout the night.

The J.W. does not have the old-world ambience of the hotels in the quarter. it is a "modern" hotel. But if you are mostly looking just to sleep in your hotel, and otherwise will be out and about, this is the way to go. The place is very clean, extremely quiet, and ideally located.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 13, 2010

.I'm a Platinum member which means I travel and stay at Marriott 75 nights or more per year. What did I get? An old room. Yes, they are renovating this hotel...but why stick me in a room that felt like a trip to the 1980s? The room had a musty smell to it and I could hear my neighbors very well.

The pool is tiny and filthy dirty. I mean filthy. There is a ring of mildew and scum around the pool. Stay away from the pool.

The workout room is very nice.

I can't comment on anything else...other to say their service is below Marriott's standard. I had to get my own luggage out of the trunk at Valet and nobody offered me help with luggage

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Ma
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Worst experience with a hotel that I've ever had. I booked a room for June way back in April. First they lost my money and said they had no room. I have been fighting with them for the past few months trying to get it straightened out. It is now mere weeks before I am headed down there and it still isn't in order. Management it absolutely terrible. The people answering the phone were incredibly rude. You couldn't pay me enough to go through all this trouble again with this hotel. DON'T BOOK HERE!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
New York City
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I spent a long Memorial Weekend solo in NOLA. I'm part of that group of travelers that prefer the large chains to the boutique hotels. What some travelers might call "cookie cutter" hotels means "clean & consistant comfort" to me. Furthermore, the employees of the hotel put in the extra effort to make your stay more relaxing and enjoyable. EXAMPLE: While having breakfast in the hotel, I saw a CHEF (not a waiter/waitress)personally serve food to an elderly couple, making sure that the meal met their special dietary concerns. Over the weekend I witnessed several events of this type. Everybody knows that the JW has a great location and is beautifully (modern) decorated, but their concern for customers puts them on top of my list of favorite places to stay. While dining at Shula's Restaurant in the hotel (great food!), I met Donna Brown, the Operations Manager of the JW property. She exuded energy and pride while talking about her worker's committment to excellence. I felt good just listening her her, because her committment to excellence is a committment to ME! I'm going back to NOLA in a few months and I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Readyright
Park Hills, KY (just outside Cincinnati)
Reviewed June 3, 2010

It was great when we arrived before 11am and they already had our room ready. We headed to the 22nd floor and had a corner room. The view was so-so but the room was fairly small. We had concierge lounge access so we went up to get some waters and check it out. We were informed that the lounge would be closed for over a week due to renovations and it would be relocated to a small room off the lobby.

The next morning, the renovations started... at 6am. Every morning of our 3 night stay began that way. Loud drilling was heard till almost 6pm one day out of our 3 day stay. Not so relaxing! We were still able to enjoy the breakfast, appetizers, and honor bar at the concierge lounge but it seemed like EVERYONE at the hotel was as well. The front desk clerks were asked what was going on in that room. The clerk then told the guest that since they had low occupancy, they could go ahead in and grab a snack. Sorry, I was a bit upset after spending $40/night more for the access that this person wasn't spending that! We were looking forward to taking advantage of the free wireless access in the lounge and the exclusive setting like we've experienced at all other Marriotts. DEFINITELY did not get that!

Like others have said, the location was great. Jackson Square was a 10 minute walk, the river 5, Bourbon just across the street... doesn't get much better then that! I felt 100% safe walking around late at night in that area. Maybe try it again after the renovations are over but I think I'd rather stay at the much nicer looking Marriott right across Canal!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lucy4242
Portland, Maine
Reviewed June 3, 2010

The JW Marriott in New Orleans was wonderful. Beautiful 22nd floor corner room. The front desk people were attentive and provided excellent service. Nice pool, on the small side. Great bed and linens. Enjoyed the nice large flat scree TV. Great location, close to the french quarter. Would definetly stay again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends