“Timing is Everything to Make this Affordable”

JW Marriott New Orleans
Ranked #66 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed May 24, 2010

The J W Marriott in New Orleans is an excellent place to stay for either business or leisure. On the business side of Canal Street, it is convenient to the downtown business area, but one has only to walk across Canal Street to enter the French Quarter area. Royal Street and Bourbon Street are only a few blocks away and easily accessed on foot. We were glad not to be staying in the noisy French Quarter and are certain that we slept better by staying just outside that area. The location is downtown, however, and you will hear some sirens.

The hotel public areas are contemporary elegant – clean and inviting. The reception area is adequate but can feel small if you happen to arrive at the same time as 30 other guests. The staff is efficient and calm in handling high-volume times. Two computers in the corner of the lobby (one dedicated to airport check-in) are almost constantly in use.

Our room is beautiful – crisp, smooth white linens on the king-size bed with one of the most comfortable mattresses and pillows I’ve ever slept on. Granite top cabinet and desk, a task chair, 2 upholstered chairs, a glass-top iron table, and 2 nightstands complete the room. Large windows look out to the city providing as much entertainment as the flat panel TV. The bathroom is not spacious but is well-maintained and is appointed with toiletries and good towels. Even the hallways and elevator areas are attractive as you move about the hotel.

We were fortunate to obtain a weekend AAA rate which made this hotel an affordable extravagance for us. Nothing special was going on in town to draw tourists, so we even got complimentary breakfast buffet at Shula’s restaurant in the hotel each morning. A woman makes great omelettes to order, but approach her gently – she was the only person we encountered who did not have a welcoming , service-oriented demeanor. We highly recommend the J W Marriott to anyone visiting New Orleans.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RetiredTravelerTN

Reviewed May 18, 2010

The JW New Orleans isn't the most grand hotel in the city, but it works. The location can't be beat if you are looking for easy access to Bourbon street. It's just a few blocks away from the action, but is still far enough away that you can get away from the Bourbon street craziness if you need to. Also within walking distance from the aquarium and the casino.

The staff was friendly. Concierge was a little hard to get an appointment with. We were looking to plan a day trip to the swamps and every time we walked the desk she was either with someone or has a sign up that she was "returning soon." I called and left a message and never had my call returned. We ended paying a visit to the visitors center in Jackson Square to book our tour and were very happy with their service.

Beds were very comfortable with plush linens, but the decor left a bit to be desired.

Beautiful gym. Nice rooftop pool, but tiny.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I've stayed here a number of times and love the location and the large rooms. I have ALWAYS been upgraded to a corner room, which is quite large and looks out over Canal. The rooms are clean and the beds are so so comfy with down comforters and tons of pillows. The waitstaff is excellent. I had to ship boxes home after Mardi Gras and they brought me empty Fed Ex boxes, then came to my room to pick them up when they were ready. The restuarant is good but pricey. Stayed in one n ight and ordered burgers, they were very good, although I'd much prefer the seafood than a burger (that night we were tired). They have fruit and either hot cider or lemonade out at all times for guests. The business center is merely a table with a computer (no chair) right in the lobby. The one complaint I do have is that one night during Mardi Gras there was a "working girl" sitting in the lobby/lounge area for a couple of hours. I watched her take a man to a room, come back 30 minutes later, and plant herself in the chair again waiting for another "friend". This was quite disgusting to me. I am surprised they let her stay there for as long as they did but no one said anything. We needed key cards to get in the hotel, so either she was staying there or she somehow got in without a key. Other than that one issue I love this place.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Deb R
Reviewed May 5, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in late April. The room we requested wasn't ready, but only had to wait an hour. Upon our return we were given a room upgrade. Location is excellent, room was pretty nice. Overall, no complaints, will definately return, very good value for the money

Reviewed April 27, 2010

Right on Canal Street and walking distance to everything! We stayed at this hotel for four nights and really enjoyed every minute. Friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms, good food. Would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for something near the French Quarter.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Marriott's are business hotels. We stayed at this one because of its location. We got a corner room which was a bit bigger than average. Everything was clean, it had a good location on Canal St and a comfortable bed. But of course there was no personality at all.

We were charged $15 a day for internet because they cater to business. Ridiculous if you ask me. One day our room wasn't made up, so we just got more towels from the maid.

I wasn't expecting much out of the ordinary and I wasn't surprised.

1  Thank SalfromIL
Reviewed April 22, 2010

We recently stayed at the JW Marriott on in New Orleans the weekend of April 9-11. The main reason we stayed here was that my husband has a lot of Marriott points so we were able to get a free room for both nights.

Here are some highlights/lowlights:
1. Room- Our room was clean and well-furnished however it was small and had 5 sides, but 2 of the walls had large windows overlooking the French Quarter so that lessened the feeling of claustrophobia
2. Internet Fee- As other reviewers have noted, $12.50/day is excessive for internet access. My husband has Marriott Platinum Elite status and they wouldn't agree to waive this charge for him so it is safe to assume that everyone has to pay this much.
3. Fitness Facility - There is a decent sized gym however: a) it is very warm with little ventilation and b) it was full both mornings we went (9 am) so be prepared. Also the TV on my treadmill didn’t work.
4. Sassy Room Service People- We ordered breakfast from room service both mornings. The first morning our order was perfect, however the second morning they made some mistakes (even though we had ordered the same things as the day before). When we called them to ask them to rectify the errors, the Room Service lady on the phone was argumentative and wanted to go on and on about why she sent the order the way she did. Regardless, it was wrong and no one wants to spend their time or vacation arguing w/ Room Service. Just fix it and be done, people!
5. Location- The hotel is on Canal St. which means that it borders the French Quarter (but is not in it) which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your view.
6. Parking - We did not have a car but if you are planning to bring one to the hotel, call to ask about parking charges in advance as they can run as high as $30/day in that area. Also, ask the hotel about parking garages in the area which charge less. They will not come out and offer this infor but they tell you if you ask.
7. Concierge Level - Since my husband is a Marriott Plat. Elite, when he booked the room, they said that we would have access to their Concierge Lounge (free food and drink - yay!). We went there to have a drink around 5 pm on Friday after checking in, it was closed. Sadly, according to their sign, the Concierge Lounge is closed during the weekend. .

All in all, the JW Marriott was a pleasant enough place to stay since it was free. However, at their rack rates of $250/night, I wouldn't pay money to stay there. I like a bit of style and would probably rather stay at the Omni or W French Quarter instead.

6  Thank Jemimagold