“JW Marriott NOLA”

JW Marriott New Orleans
Ranked #61 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
“JW Marriott NOLA”
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Great Hotel. Right by Bourbon Street and close to the French Quarter.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Indonesian first
usa
Reviewed January 15, 2010

My expectations for JW Marriott Properties must be too high! Our 2 night stay (which we shortened from 3 nights) was very bad. The room was unclean, the trash cans had not been emptied, there were no towels in our room when we checked in...the heat was not working properly and we happened to be there during a cold spell. NOT a good experience. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. My business partner has allergies and the customer service was awful when we tried to get a "non" down pillow for her. As a long time rewards member I was very disappointed in our stay. The exterior doesn't event look like the online photos and it was much farther from the convention center than we were lead to believe. We were with a group at the convention center and could have stayed at one of their group rate hotels but as a Marriott rewards member I thought we would have much nicer accommodations if we stayed at a JW Marriott. The property in general needs some TLC. The bathroom was tiny and cramped and the wall outside our room was banged up and scuffed. Not impressed at all!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed here for a long weekend trip. Arrived 2 hours early and we were able to check in right away. The desk clerk was very nice and helpful. We were very happy with our room. It had all the amenities that a person would need- iron, hairdryer, safe, boutique toiletries. The bed was very comfortable- feather bed overlay and high count sheets. The rooms were very clean and the housekeeping staff efficiently cleaned our rooms daily. The hotel is located CBD a block from Bourbon St- easy to walk to the French Quarter. A trolley stop is less then a block away and and inexpensive ($1.25 one way) way to get to the Garden District. The only negative- the hotel room doors close loudly- so you can hear other guests doors slam shut when they leave their room. Seems like this is a combination of poorly made doors and inconsiderate guests. Other than the hallway noise, the rooms were pretty well insulated- while I could hear our neighbor putting things away in his/her closet, I didn't hear any tvs or conversations from the next door rooms. I didn't use the room service, gym or hotel restaurant or bar, so I can't make an comments. This is a great place if you are looking for a reasonable priced hotel that is clean and close to city sites.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed January 8, 2010

First let me start by saying that we had a wonderful time in New Orleans. We were going to do that no matter what. When we called after arriving in the area near the hotel earlier than expected my wife called about early check-in and where we should park. We were told to drive around to the back of the hotel where we were greeted with no self-parking garage, but a $35 dollar a day valet parking option only. There was no early check-in but the staff was wonderful and took our things to a storage are while we went out for lunch. A few hours later we went to check into our room. Still no room available NEARLY 1 1/2 HOURS after our scheduled check-in time. The staff again was very nice and we were given a 25 dollar certificate to be used in the hotel restaurant. 30 minutes later we still had no room, so we sat in the lobby and waited for some sign that a room that I had paid good money for would become available. When we did get a room I tried to get online to download a map to be better oriented. WIRED INTERNET COSTS $14.95 PER DAY. Most economy hotels offer their guests at least free wired internet. Once again the STAFF IS GREAT at this hotel. However if management is not able to budget how much time is needed to clean and ready a room for this next guest then they should be in a new line of work. I was overall disappointed since I have had more professional experiences with hotels like La Quinta and Econolodge than this so-called "better" hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed January 5, 2010

The hotel has the perfect location with easy access to French Quarter, trolly lines, restaurants, etc. The Concierge is wonderful!! Parking is expensive, but that is the case with all hotels in the area. The beds are just average... no nice bedding and hard mattresses.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I did a lot of research before visiting New Orleans, including checking out many hotels. TripAdvisor was one of my sources. Thankfully, I selected the J.W. Marriott because it was a thoroughly delightful experience from the front desk, to the concierge, to room service, the incredibly comfortable bed, other amenities, the beautifully decorated lobby areas, ideal location for walking to the French Quarter, Harrah's, the bus and the streetcar. I did not use the pool or gym, but both areas were impressive - pristine. Oh, okay, I do have 1 criticism. The walls 'are' very thin. Fortunately, I had good neighbors on the 26th floor because had I not, it could have been miserable. (Doesn't make sense that a hotel would not use soundproofing in the construction - or at least in upgrading a place where many people spend time there trying to sleep). But, again, my experience was great. Paper thin walls seem to be a common complaint in reviews of hotels in New Orleans. The J.W. should be high on your list of places to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Spent a week at the JW Marriott and was very pleased with my stay. The hotel is perfectly located between the French Quarter and the Central business district so exploring the city on foot is very convenient. My room was spacious, clean and nicely appointed. The gym was well equipted with both cardio and free weights. I found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful (not always the case in NOLA). I will definately stay at the JW Marriott on future visits to the Crescent City and would recommend this property without reservation.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business