“Great hotel!”

Ranked #57 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Arlington, Texas
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed for just one night but I received great service, wonderful food, and a nice comfy hotel room! This is a lovely hotel in a fantastic location, and everyone was very accomodating. I will stay here again next time I'm in New Orleans!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Indonesian first
College Park, Georgia
Reviewed May 17, 2009

This is a tough review to write, as I had a nice stay--but agree that the hotel has some challenges.

Prompted to be concerned given other reviews that complained about dated, small rooms, I called the GM's office before my stay to make sure I avoided getting accommodations I'd not like. Jacqueline Simon in the GM's office was amazing, and note to her boss--she is worth her weight in gold. She listened to my concerned, promised to look into the comments on Trip Advisor, and assured me that my room would be a nice one. She added that she quite liked the rooms in the hotel, but a thorough renovation was planned in the near future. I was so impressed with her--she listened, she owned the problem, she personalized my concerns, and promised she'd take care of it.

I was even more impressed at check-in. The front desk had clearly been clued in, and had a 28th floor corner room waiting. The agent who checked me in treated me as I were a VIP, and I received a warm welcome. A great start. Again, kudos to the Front Office Manager.

(One off note: I asked the concierge for directions to the Farmers' Market--and she tried to send me to the French Market. . .a different place. When I tried to clarify, she sent me to Magazine and Julia Streets, where the real address is Magazine and Girod, a few blocks away. Since guests seek out a concierge for accurate information, that was a major miss)

Nice, well trained staff can be let down by a property in need of repair and updating, though. The lobby has the look of a circa 1992 bank office building, complete with rather cheesy, all-too-corporate looking chandeliers. The hotel hallways were scuffed. And what prompted the adverse reviews of the rooms was apparent, once inside.

The hotel tower is unique, in that it is at an angle to the street grid of the city. The layout provides each floor with 8 corner rooms, and these rooms, while a bit larger than standard accommodations, have an odd triangular floorplan. Interestingly, the corner reduces, not increases, the amount of window space of these rooms. These rooms have a king size bed--don't think two doubles would fit. All seems smaller as a result of low ceilings.

The bathrooms have a choppy configuration as well. The sink is separate from the room with the toilet and shower/tub. The watercloset itself is all marble, but rather small.

Overall, the decor is dated. Wall graphics from the late 80s, early 90s colors and moldings--despite a flat screen and the trademark Marriott beds--these rooms need an update.

Now, I should mention that I got this room for $49 per night on Priceline, and as such, this is an amazing deal. The lowest rate on Marriott.com for the same period was $139, and the upgrade made it even a better value--I'll bet that the Marriott employee rate wasn't even as low as $49.

All the same, as a guest who's stayed at other JW Marriotts, this hotel would disappoint at full price. In fact, there are other mainline Marriotts that are nicer, and more updated. The Marriott Marquis in Atlanta, where I recently stayed, has a far better room product.

The hotel has a nice fitness center that is free to guests--kudos, as hotels who charge for gyms earn the enmity of travelers who try to stay fit when on the road. One of the two ellipticals was out of order, but there were many treadmills and good weights. The outdoor pool is small and disappointing--scarcely bigger than a backyard pool with a rather cramped pool deck that gets more shadow than sunworshipers might like.

Things like parking, in-room movies, and internet were quite expensive--$14.95 a day for broadband, and $13.95 for a movie were notably dear--as was $30+ daily parking with tax.

The hotel's location is great. Right on Canal Street, and just across from the French Quarter, the hotel's back door is right near St. Charles Avenue for the famed streetcar. The river, Harrah's Casino, Jackson Square, Bourbon Street. . .all is close at hand.

At Priceline prices, this hotel is a winner. But most guests don't stay here on $49 rates. Unless you do, you may want to wait until they renovate. When they do, this will be a hotel to consider.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank TravelBeard
New England
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We were booked in advance of our arrival in New Orleans to stay at JW Marriott on Canal Street on 2/14 on the night before our cruise. This is a 4star hotel with good recommendations online as I regularly research hotels, restaurants, etc before we leave home.

I had paid and confirmed twice by phoning the front desk during the week to let them know that we would arrive late (approximately midnight). When we arrived at the airport there was a "skeleton crew" working because, we were told, most employees had not shown up to work. We waited a long time for our bags and at 12 a.m. I called the hotel to confirm that we would be leaving the airport shortly. I was very nervous because it was our first trip to New Orleans and we had concerns about our safety there. I was also concerned because it was late at night, we'd been travelling all day, and we just wanted a good nights sleep in a safe section of town at a brand name hotel.

The woman who answered the front desk when I called at midnight said "Actually you won't be staying here tonight. We're overbooked." I thought she must be mistaken. She didn't realize I had already booked a room AND paid for it by credit card weeks before. I replied "Oh, I've confirmed and paid for a room. I'm already booked." She said "No Ma'am, we're overbooked. We have no room for you." I told her "But I confirmed my room already. You gave away my room?" She replied "Ma'am, we're overbooked. There are few rooms left in the city. If you take a cab here we can give you a voucher for another hotel and you can walk there. It's not far from here." Walk in a strange area of New Orleans with luggage after travelling 14 hours? At 1 am? To a hotel I know NOTHING about??? Really? I cancelled and requested a refund. As of 2/26 this refund had not been processed. Priceline intervened and refunded my money in full after a dispute was filed.

It has been 2 months since our trip. Since then, Marriott had the administrative assistant to the general manager of the JW Marriott in New rRleans contact us by phone to explain the policy. We weren't available by phone to discuss the policies due to our busy lives. However, after several emails back and forth, the resolution Marriott has offered us is that they reserve the right, per their policy, to rebook your reservation to another hotel with whom they have a relationship. That is IT!

It doesn't matter if you've paid. It doesn't matter that you called to confirm twice. You could arrive in a city that is new to you and be told at check in that you are being given a voucher and must relocate to a new hotel. No refund. Nothing complimentary. Not even the cab ride over to the new hotel was offered. Remember that we were advised by check in that it was just a short walk at 1 am with our luggage after 14 hours of travel.

Due to this official corporate policy, per the corporate office to my inbox, I would never again recommend Marriott to anyone. While corporate assures me that this is a "rare" occurrence, it seems to me that once is more than we could stomach. If we were just going to take our chances finding any old hotel room when we arrived in town, we certainly wouldn't pre pay and pre schedule a room with them!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GrnMtnGirl79
Georgia
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Wonderful experience. Location is perfect. Rooms and bath rooms are plenty big enough. Bath is spotless. Bedding and towels same. They include robes, coffee service, newspapers and so on. Not sure why anyone would complain about the place. Of course reservations could go wrong, or the Loud family could be staying next door, but clearly the hotel does an outstanding job. The fitness center is better than most with new machines, personal TV sets, free headsets, fruits, water and so on. Impeccably clean and a pleasure to use.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelerDrew
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed April 4, 2009

The JW Marriott in New Orleans has a perfect location in New Orleans. Situated on Canal Street across from the larger Marriott Hotel, The JW Marriott is minutes away from the best sections of the French Quarter. The hotel staff was efficient and friendly. The staff in the Concierge Lounge was considerate and spot with service. We had a corner room on the 27th floor that offered a good view or the French Quarter.

The internet was expensive ($14.95/day, including unlimited North American telephone calls). The noises of the hotel (neighboring rooms, including those above and below) seeped through the walls easier than they should. The bed was very comfortable. The room had a large screen TV. Our room was oddly shaped, sort of like a wedge. The air conditioning worked well and was quiet. Housekeeping staff did a good job, but seemed overworked in the fully booked hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Bahnreise
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I recently stayed at the JW Marriott New Orleans and booked it via Priceline. I lucked out on a good price that was under $80 per night. I booked three rooms and traveled with family members. Upon my arrival it was kind of hectic trying to check in seven people which included three children. The Marriott staff was great and was even able to put two of our rooms together and upgraded the third to a really nice corner room. They got us checked in right away.
The hotel was on Canal St right at St. Charles. I was able to access the Canal Street car or walk around the corner and jump on the St. Charles St. car. I used another members review and ended up parking my car at "Premium Parking" at 716 Iberville right across the street. Print out the coupon for $15 for overnight parking and save big time over the $35 a night that Marriott charges. Premium parking also gives you unlimited in and out privaleges as well. If you plan on riding the street cars check out the Unique Grocery at 127 Royal St. Pick up a three day pass for $12 which is a lot easier tha trying to put together $1.25 every time you want to ride the street cars. Unique Grocery also has great deals on the fermented beverages.
If you want a good choice of a variety of food at a reasonable price jump on the Canal St. car and take it up to Telemachus St and two blocks over at you will arrive at Liuzza's Restaurant (3636 Bienville st). It may look like a hole in the wall but the foot is fantastic. I would try the fried pickles as an appetizer and definitely a frosted schooner of beer. I like the Lasagna and the catfish is also good. However if you plan on walking to the restaurant I would recommend doing so during the daytime hours just based upon the location. If you happen to head over to the garden district I would also recommend going to the Blue Bird Cafe. They have a great breakfast. All in all I had a pleasant experience at the JW and felt the location/service was fantastic!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank LopezAV7
Independence, Kentucky
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We booked our stay at the JW as part of an Expedia package. We had read mixed review online and weren't sure what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised! Hotel was clean and elegant. Quiet bar in the lobby. Good bar if you want a nice glass of wine before heading off to dinner, but not for Hurricanes and Hand Grenades.

Rooms were spacious and decorated nicely. Bathroom a bit cozy. Great workout room! Updated cardio equipment and weight machines.

J.W. was the perfect location. Although it was nice being so close to Bourbon Street, we appreciated the chance to settle into our quiet hotel when we had enough.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends