“Great Stay in the Big Easy”

Ranked #66 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 22, 2014

I was in New Orleans for work and had a great stay at the JW Marriott on Canal Street. The staff was all extremely helpful. I had to constantly get my vehicle in and out of valet for appointments and they were quick and helpful every time I requested it.

The rooms were a good size for a downtown hotel. They were clean and nicely decorated. I didn't have any noise issues while I was there and the location was great for getting around town and also experiencing a little of the Bourbon Street atmosphere. I would definitely stay at the JW Marriott again!

Room Tip: If you're interested in being able to see more of the city, be sure to ask for a room that faces...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Dear travelingkygirl,

Thank you so much for your kind words about the JW Marriott New Orleans. We're so pleased to hear that our downtown location was the perfect place for you to discover the exciting Bourbon nightlife and exploring New Orleans. We hope you had a chance to hop on the historic streetcars, which run right by our hotel. But by far our favorite part of your review was your description of our incredibly helpful and efficient ambassadors. It would be our please to host you again on all of your future trips to New Orleans.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

All the staff were excellent and extremely courteous, especially Pauline in the 27th floor lounge! She went above and beyond and even made our special request a reality! Keep up the good work!! We would stay here again - great price for such a quality hotel

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Bigejm
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear Bigejm,

Thank you for your kind words about the JW Marriott New Orleans. Pauline is an amazing asset to our property and we were so pleased to hear how she truly enhanced your Executive Lounge experience by going above and beyond. We eagerly await your return.

Ted Selogie

Reviewed August 20, 2014

My trip to New Orleans was wonderful. When I booked my room online, i was advised that check-in would be at 4pm. I arrived an hour and a half early, expecting to wait; but to my surprise I was able to check in early, as well as have my choice of floors with a view of Canal street. My room was clean and in order; no signs that anyone had stayed their, although clearly by the crowd in the lounge and lobby, they were busy.

Since it had been sometime since I visited New Orleans, I wanted to enjoy some of the best restraunts in the area and entertainment. I am woman and was traveling alone, and planned on walking since I was close to the French Quarter. The Doorman, Paul and concierge at the J W Marriott were informative and very helpful . They made me feel safe and gave the best directions as well as helped with setting up tours and transportation.

I would strongly recommed this hotel to anyone travelling alone or with family. It's location is on Canal St and within blocks of entertainment.

Thank you JW Marriott for a great experience!!

Room Tip: I recommed staying on the higher floors in a corner suite. Although this means you have more stops o...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear Jennifer,

It was our pleasure! We are delighted to hear about your incredible experience at the JW Marriott New Orleans. While we are certainly well-located, our favorite part of your feedback was undoubtedly the wonderful service you received from Paul and our concierge. We hope you will stay with us again on your future trips to New Orleans.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

My husband travels often for business and has accumulated approximately 400,000 Marriott points/a preferred member. Of course he thought using some of those points while on a family vacation would be a good savings. However, we did not realize that using the points would be a trade-off for quality. The room we were given was far less than satisfactory for what I would expect to find in a JW 'Marriott' class hotel. The bathroom was a matchbox with a single sink on a half counter-top -- so close to the toilet that you could barely turn without clashing into either the tub, sink, or toilet.. We had a late Sunday night check-in (which we called to arrange) and when I called housekeeping for extra towels, the less than courteous individual on the other end did not take the time to listen, and sent an extra blanket instead of towels. Overall, the staff was courteous, however, if this is the kind of accommodations a preferred customer receives, I certainly do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JW B
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear JW B,

Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott New Orleans to redeem your reward points. We realize how much travel it takes to accumulate points to enjoy leisure travel. We are disappointed that you would not recommend us as a hotel destination. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience that you may have experienced. Our goal is to provide an experience that is free of distractions and delivers luxury service in every interaction. Unfortunately, we did not provide that for you. We would love the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service we are capable of and would be honored if you would consider returning. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of service.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I know these reviews typically acknowledge the customer service staff, managers of the hotel but I am complimenting the service and dedication of Jennifer Simoneaux. I recently sent several members of my staff to a conference in New Orleans and they had the luxury of staying at this hotel. I was not pleased with the prices of this hotel, but I knew my staff was going around the time of Independence Day and also another local celebration that was going on in the city that weekend, therefore the prices were fair.

I was called over the weekend to say that my staff's room charges were more than expected. I questioned how that was possible given I had hotel confirmations showing the price. Fast forward to three weeks after my staff checked out, I received my credit card statement which said I paid $500 more for per person for their stay. Keep in mind 10 people attended. That’s $5000 extra. I spoke with Jennifer and she immediately was apologetic and started the process in fixing the issue. I spoke with Jennifer several days to get this fixed, no fault of her own though. Due to my schedule I was negligent to the emails she sent. Nonetheless, when I was available to finish this task, Jennifer was always there and patient. We have emailed each other back and forth with me asking questions tirelessly. Every question I asked, there was a patient, thorough answer provided.

Jennifer saved JW Marriott's business with me from a professional and personal stand point. Those working at the front desk should be trained by Ms. Simoneaux. Their lack of impatience and knowledge of their hotel is an inadequate for such a brand. For someone to fix someone else's mess and own the issue, speaks on her high character and integrity. It is ALWAYS an honor to work with someone who is patient, caring, and warm as she was. She is an asset to your accounting department, and building.

I feel you should get the point of where I’m going here.

She is awesome!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear smithalexander2014,

It was such a pleasure to read your feedback about Jennifer's excellent service. While we regret that your stay was not flawless, it is wonderful to know that you were well taken care of by Jennifer in the detail-oriented, attentive way expected of our JW Marriott associates. We certainly hope that we may have the chance to deliver a perfect stay to you in the future. Thank you for the time you took to share about your experience at our hotel.

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Being from Asia, gold elite member, and having travelled a few times to USA I am starting to realise that with Marriott chain the equivalent hotels in USA just don't measure up to the equivalent Asian ones.

A JW in Asia is top of the line quality and service and comparing this hotel to any of those just pales into insignificance.

Let's start with the good points...

The staff, very friendly and in general so helpful. The location is really handy for the French Quarter which is just over the street.
Famous Marriott bed super comfortable.

What makes it average...

The exec lounge is very small, key in door works intermittently and worst of all, shut Saturday and Sunday! You pay for drinks at the cocktail session and no one on service for check in and out.

The rooms are OK size but everything about them and the hotel has a dated feel about it. Outside noise creeps in even on 17th floor so try get a room as high as you can. The doors themselves shut with resounding thuds which you are likely to hear quite frequently in the night as revellers return.

Having not stayed at other hotels in NO not sure how this JW stacks up amongst their peers.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark R
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2014

Dear Mark R.,

Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott New Orleans for your lodging needs. It's great to hear that our friendly staff, comfortable beds and prime location met your expectations. Or location makes getting around New Orleans a "breeze". I appreciate the additional feedback related to our Executive Lounge, room decor and the noise you encountered. Please accept our apology for any disturbance the doors caused you. We will take your comments into consideration as we continually strive to improve the guest experience. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service if travel brings you back to New Orleans. There are many great improvements planned in the coming months that will address your feedback.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

From the moment that I drove onto the property I was spoiled. The gentlemen in valet greeted me with a smile every time I arrived/departed. Check-in went very smoothly and when complete, Paul (Doorman) was awaiting to deliver my luggage to the room. Paul also was a great help with suggesting GREAT places to dine and also visit along with some pretty good directions on how to get to these locations. If you ever decide to stay at the JW New Orleans, be sure and spend a minute or two with him...

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vernell J
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Dear Vernell,

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience at the JW Marriott New Orleans. It is our pleasure to give our guests the attentive, professional luxury service that our hotel is known for. Paul is very well-known on TripAdvisor and we are so happy to hear that you received excellent dining recommendations from him. We hope to see you again the next time that you are in New Orleans.

Ted Selogie