“Staff Services”

Ranked #69 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 6, 2014

The Staff at the JW Marriott always went "beyond" at all times; from the Head Concierge, desk and front door personnel. Additional, mention of Deborah, in the Lobby Lounge must be made. She is the model for all lounge host. My wife left her sun hat on the sofa and later that evening Deborah notice us walking through the lounge and "chased" us just to personnally gave the hat back.

Thanks to everyone at the New Orleans Hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Charles K
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Charles,

Thank you for sharing your story of extraordinary service! Our staff takes service very seriously and we relentlessly strive to deliver the ultimate hospitality experience to each guest. It delights us to hear about your excellent experience with Deborah as well as the rest of our associates. We hope to have the pleasure of providing flawless service to you again in the near future.

JW Marriott New Orleans

Write a ReviewReviews (2,423)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

As a Marriott Platinum Elite, United Global Service, Fiesta Rewards Platinum, and Hilton Gold member, I have seen great service and a complete lack of service over 30 years and millions of miles of travel.

The JW Marriott does NOT live up to my expectations of what the JW brand is supposed to represent.

Two days prior to arrival, received an email from Austin Westbrook (‘Front Office Manager’) describing how they were going to do everything possible to provide good service (boiler plate text in the email).

I responded, advising I would be arriving about 3 p.m. and was interested in a quiet room.

Note that I booked an Executive King, Corner Room.

Upon arrival, was assured by reception that they had picked out a good room for me.

Literally dropping my bags in the room and heading out for a late working lunch, I did not pay any attention to the room.

Returning that evening, I discovered that the ‘quite’ room was in fact located adjacent to a LARGE cooling system (big fans) on the roof of the building next door, that the room was NOT furnished as listed on my reservation, and that the “High Speed WiFi” option provided between 0.4 and 4 Mbs speeds, that is when it was not disconnecting me on a regular basis.

The response from Mr. Westbrook 24 hours after reaching out to him was to say “Please accept my apologies” and “What can I do to regain your trust”.

A further e-mail has so far received zero response (more than 24 hours ago).

So, here I sit in a room that is not outfitted as advertised (forget the idea of an upgrade, apparently that is not something this hotel does for Platinum Guests), with substandard WiFi (to say the least).

Very simply, SAVE YOUR MONEY and do not waste your time here.

The Marriott 100 yards away provides far better service and quality of rooms (did I mention that this room has holes in the carpet??).

This all boils down to one word: PATHETIC.

Mr. Marriott and the Exectuive Team can be certain that I will never spend another penny in this hotel and will keep this experience in mind when choosing where to stay as I spend the next 70 - 90 nights traveling on business across the Globe during the remainder of 2014.

Room Tip: Read the review on Marriott Rewards Insider site. My big mistake was thinking the service level woul...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank CaptDick
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear CaptDick,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback related to your recent experience in our hotel. Needless to say we are disappointed that you experienced so many service failures. Please accept my sincere apology. I have shared your feedback with our team and we will use your feedback to improve our performance for future guests. We hope to have the opportunity to demonstrate to you the true level of service we are capable of. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can offer any addititionl assistance.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Very pleasant and great location to French Quarter busyness. Music festival going on...close enough to enjoy, but far enough to miss disturbing noise. Close to very good restaurants. Enjoyed Arnaud's for dining and loved visiting Preservation Hall. Have fun!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Esmanarin,

It sounds like you had the real New Orleans experience during your visit. Our concierges love recommending Preservation Hall, one of New Orleans most famous and historic musical landmarks and a great place to see live jazz every night of the week. We're glad to hear that the JW Marriott New Orleans was the perfectly situated hotel for your New Orleans adventures and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Although the address is Canal Street, the main entrance (valet parking) and reception desk is off Common Street. If you have a car, due to one-way streets, it's not the easiest to get to, but having a Canal Street entrance can be convenient if you are returning from visits nearby. The staff is very accommodating and welcoming. I liked the nice touch of mini bottled waters at the valet area and they were quick to get a cab for you. There was staffed security near the elevators to confirm you had a room key. The lobby area is quite small compared to the Marriott across the street, but there are little alcoves near the lobby bar. There are more meeting rooms on the 2nd floor. The exercise area and decent sized pool are on the 8th floor. It's not used as much as some other hotels that I could see from my hotel room. The rooms are comfortable with a mini-fridge and safe while the bathrooms have marble tiles. Overall, a nice hotel near the French Quarter area.

Room Tip: Corner suite such as X17 or X22 face south, away from Bourbon Street. You can look down toward the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear cuyler3329,

We are so happy that the JW Marriott New Orleans was the perfectly located hotel for you during your visit from the Midwest. It's great that you experienced the accommodating, thoughtful and professional service typical of our hotel. We're also delighted that you enjoyed our spacious pool deck on the 8th floor, which is the perfect place to lounge, enjoy a cocktail and explore our culinary herb garden during the summer months. It would be our pleasure to host you on your next voyage to the Big Easy.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We were upgraded to the big presidential suite during our stay. My groomsmen and I checked in early to get ready for the wedding and it was an amazing experience. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful and came to check on us a few times to make sure that we were ok. We were greeted with wine and champagne and snacks. The room was gorgeous and the hotel is just as lovely. When my husband and I returned to the room after our wedding, the room had been replenished with flowers, wine and champagne, fruits and other snacks for us. We enjoyed a romantic evening in the huge whirlpool tub and slept like champions. Thanks JW for making our special day so amazing!!!!! Our family and friends stayed there also and were just as happy with the stay!

Thanks to Gwendolyn for taking care of us! Shes the best!!!

Room Tip: Ask for Gwendolyn!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Clayton,

What a pleasure it was to read about your experience! We are honored to have been a part of this important occasion for you and your family. It pleases us that our staff's superior service made it even more special with upgrades, thoughtful amenities,and kind service. We eagerly await your return to the JW Marriott New Orleans.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Just left this wonderful hotel. The staff were amazing! My girlfriends and I stayed her for a weekend girls trip. Check in was a breeze, I forget the young lady's name who checked us in, we arrived at 10 am Thursday 6/29, but she was amazing!
Room was great, (we had connecting rooms, one king, one double). The only complaint was there weren't any robes in the room and the bathroom toilet drained slow. Housekeeping didn't clean our bathroom when we asked but we made a call and that was quickly handled.

All the staff was great, Paul at the entrance handled every request we made, he handled it with ease and respect, also Bridget in the bar was a sweetheart.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear loves2go7777777,

Thank you for your kind words! We're proud to have made your girls' weekend such a special trip with incredible service. New Orleans is one of the top destinations in the country for girls' getaways and we hope you enjoyed every moment! Paul and Bridget are exceptional and I am so pleased they delivered amazing service to you. Please accept our most sincere apologies that your stay was not completely flawless and we will certainly use your experience to see how we can improve the art of service. We hope to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We just returned from a quick trip to New Orleans. The JW Mariott is a really nice hotel with a perfect French Quarter location. The front of the hotel is actually one block off of Canal St which makes it nice and quiet. The back entrance exits onto Canal so it's a easy walk to the French Quarter. The rooms are really nice and the service was excellent.

Room Tip: We had a corner room which adds some size as well as a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AustinTexMan
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear AustinTexMan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. We agree that the JW Marriott New Orleans is perfectly located by the French Quarter- as you noted, our entrance on Common St. gives our guests a bit more peace and quiet than they would experience in a typical French Quarter hotel, yet the hotel is steps away from Bourbon Street, Royal Street, and other French Quarter destinations. We're pleased that you truly enjoyed your spacious corner suite as well as superb service typical of our property. It would be our pleasure to be of service to you again.