“Fully Deserves 4 star rating!”

Ranked #63 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed May 3, 2014

What an enjoyable stay. Courteous, helpful, patient and smiling personnel – porters/doormen and reception staff - who warmly greet guests make such a positive impression and get the stay off to a good start. Excellent location on Canal Street within easy walking distance of many of the city’s main attractions. The hotel dining room, the “Canal Street Grill”, was in keeping with all other aspects of the hotel - excellent quality and service. The cleaning and service personnel were also equally affable and wished guests with a “Good Morning”, “enjoy your day” etc. as you passed by; not always a characteristic of in-house service workers; not intrusive, just welcoming. A busy hotel in a busy city, but managed this guest’s requirements without a hitch! Most highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Sinclaired,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic review of the JW Marriott New Orleans. It is always a pleasure to hear about our staff's amazing service, which you so eloquently characterize as "not intrusive but welcoming". Beyond our fabulous and convenient location in downtown New Orleans, it is excellent to know that you had a wonderful experience at Canal Street Grill. CSG recently released a brand new menu, designed and executed by Master Chef Rene Bajeux. Thank you again for your recommendation and we hope to host you on your next New Orleans visit.

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott New Orleans

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We recently stayed at the JW Marriott in New Orleans. The hotel was fantastic, the location was amazing; close to everything. The best part of our stay was Isabelle, our concierge. She was a fountain of information and arranged wonderful tours, jazzfest tickets and transportation. She was simply amazing. Make sure you speak to her so you can get the most out of your time in New Orleans!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Traveller607,

Thank you for your feedback. It's fantastic to hear that you had such an excellent stay with us during Jazz Fest; we recognize that there are a lot of choices to stay in New Orleans during the festival and we're beyond pleased that you had a wonderful experience with us. Thanks especially for mentioning Isabelle, our incredible concierge who arranged your Jazz Fest tickets. We hope you enjoyed Eric Clapton, Phish, and the other musical acts during the fest's first weekend. We look forward to seeing you again for Jazz Fest 2015.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is a very mixed review. We went for jazz fest and the hotel has a great deal with a private busing company. Made getting to and from the festival a breeze and for that reason alone I would stay here again if I went to jazz fest. The concierge was also very helpful, the only problem was there was just one of her so there was always a long wait to talk to her. I highly suggest you make all your plans and reservations in advance if you go for jazz fest!
We showed up late and our room was musty but we were tired so we didn't bother switching. You got used to the smell after a few minutes but every time you walked in it smelled bad. There was only one robe and it was literally in shreds. The bed was comfortable so that was a plus
The hotel has a decent gym - although it took them two days to fix the air conditioning.
The location is terrific and the staff was amazing, next time I would change rooms!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa M
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Lisa M.,

Thank you for providing feedback related to your most recent experience at the JW Marriott New Orleans. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our location and the convenience to access the shuttle that services Jazz Fest. Also, it's I am happy that the suggestions made by our concierge was helpful. Please accept our apology for the other issues that you experienced. We will use your feedback to insure that other travelers do not run into these inconveniences. We will insure that we closely inspect each guest room so that we remediate any malodors that may be evident in our rooms. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Customer service ratings can be turned around by a good management response. That's what happened with this stay. Our room was lacking a refrigerator whEn we checked in and it was not installed the second day as had been promised. The second night's phone call resulted in a promise for the next day and they did come through. As well, they offered us a credit toward the next day's breakfast as an apology. I had also made a room request that was not only not honored, but the room we received was smoky-smelling even though on a non-smoking floor. They offered us a room upgrade on the 3rd day, but by then we did not want to repack everything, especially since we were going out early for all day at Jazz Fest. So we declined the upgrade. When we returned that night, the room air had somehow (not overwhelmingly scentedly) been freshened and there was a chilled Cava and chocolate-covered strawberries in our room. So, overall, the hotel response to valid complaints showed a complete attempt to make us happy. And they did. Also, our experience of the prior stay in which the staff was overwhelmingly friendly and accommodating was not happening the first couple of days. But, by the third day, it was apparent that had been an anomaly. Even the porter in the mornings was asking guests as they left if they needed directions, wishing everyone a good day, etc. So, all said and done, this was another enjoyable visit to the NO JW.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear mickgene,

We are so pleased that we were able to completely turn around your experience and deliver amazing customer service. We regret that your stay did not start perfectly. It is always our goal for every guest to have a flawless stay. It is delightful to hear that you wound up having an amazing experience due to the excellent response from our team, which was not just apologies but also delivering the special amenities and freshening your room. It's this kind of thoughtful service that makes us proud of our property. Thank you for taking the time to submit this review and we hope to have the opportunity to make your next stay completely flawless.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Great hotel, location excellent, enjoyed the stay. Car attendant exceptional. By the time we arrived at the hotel, patience very short from trying to locate. Handed my key to Paul and walked into the hotel. He took care of the rest. Great personality and attitude. Will use this hotel again. My daughter and I will be traveling to New Orleans when the school year is over.

Room Tip: We had four adults in one room and it was fine.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Thelma J
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Thelma,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your recent stay at the JW Marriott New Orleans. It's terrific to hear that you found the JW a great hotel in a wonderful location and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We're sorry to hear that your journey to the hotel was a bit difficult, but we're very happy that Paul was able to completely take care of your needs with his exceptional service. It would be our pleasure to host you and your daughter with another fantastic New Orleans experience once the school year is over.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Just left the JW. Great hotel in excellent position. Easy walk to Bourbon Street. Only inconvenience was no free wifi in room, only in lobby. Very cold in lobby and public areas. Great bed and shower. We had corner room which was good as there were 3 of us in room. Street car right out front and the other at the end of the block.

Room Tip: No street noise,so excellent choice, we were on 26th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear Whitebridge,

Thank you for your review of the JW Marriott New Orleans. It's great to hear that our location was just what you expeected, being close to Bourbon St. and the Street Car. We apologize that the lobby was uncomfortable for you and that WiFi was not free in your guest room. As you stated, WiFi is free in our lobby and is convenient for many. If you choose to return, please let one of our service professional know of your challenges and we will definitely do all we can to make you uncomfortable. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to providing you with an awesome experience if travel brings you back to the "Big Easy".

All the Best,

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Let me first start out by saying I've never written a review for anything ever and I was motivated to write one for the JW Marriott. Get comfortable because this is a story of a review and trust me it will be helpful.

I went down to New Orleans for Wrestlemania 30 and with about 4 or 5 different Marriotts to choose from I chose JW 1) based on reviews and 2) based on location - what I didn't know is how much they have to offer and top notch presentation and application of everything they do.

Three notions come to mind when I think about JW Marriott on Canal St:
Amazingly Friendly, Insanely Helpful and Courteous, Superbly Accommodating

From start to finish the experience was stellar. What made this stay as great as it was, was most definitely the STAFF. I was greeted so warmly at the door I was almost taken back. I had no plans for Friday night which was unfortunate so I went to the Lobby bar.

First Highlight: Bartender George.
Not only does he make strong drinks but he is extremely friendly. He engages you in conversation as if you are a friend for years and years. He also has the down low on where to go in the area and makes spot on suggestions for food. The food is quite good here and it's definitely worth checking out at some point. George was soo chill I ended up just going to the Lobby bar every day to say hello because he's that cool. I cannot remember the name of the woman who works with him but she is equally as fun and inviting as well. They even kept the kitchen open a bit later for me one night. I've never made a point to tip 20% but I did every day because the service and engagement was that top notch.

If you get a chance order room service - it's somewhat pricey and I rarely say this but the price equals the value and quality. Very good.

The Next Day....

Second Highlight: The Concierge
The Concierge was insanely helpful and courteous. I did a lot of research on where I wanted to go and had a general itinerary but I needed help finalizing notions and advice/suggestions about the area. I spoke with them for about 20 mins maybe more and they were beyond accommodating since I had a million questions. They even went the extra mile by circling prime and amazing restaurants plus my destinations on a map for me. They even made recommendations Ie the Airboat Tour (great great experience definitely a highlight of the trip); I have immense experience in sales and I know when people are trying to sell me something or if they really believe this would be a great experience for me and they believe in what they are saying. Let me just say if The Concierge recommends something DO IT! TWO EXAMPLES: John Besh's American Sector at the WWII Museum or Vacherie's - food is to die for!

Lastly, the fact they had a taxi waiting for me at 5am to get me to the airport for my 640am flight was stellar. I can't say my room really blew me away although it was very spacious, very clean and the bed was very comfortable (I think I didn't like how the door to the bathroom almost hit the toilet when you open it) but what I can say is the staff blew me away and then some to make this the best Marriott stay I've ever had. The location is also pretty prime as well. I also really liked the decor it had a classiness to it that also had an very inviting feel to it. I highly highly recommend the JW Marriott - Tell George Wrestlemania 30 Ed says Hello and try his hurricane drink.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Ed W
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Ed,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We're delighted that you had such a stellar stay with outstanding service. It's great to hear that our service went beyond exceeding your expectations inside the hotel to guiding you to some of the highlights of your trip, such as the airboat ride and American Sector. We'll be sure to pass on the message to George and we hope to have the pleasure of providing you with an equally amazing experience on your next trip to New Orleans!